CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Optishot 2

9 Iron bionicbooger is on a distinguished road bionicbooger's Avatar

Golf Simulator Guys are willing to sponsor a few of these golf leagues.

Hi

This is Bret with Golf Simulator Guys. We have decided to sponsor a few of these new online optishot leagues that are popping. We are willing to contribute $100 per league for a prize money and are also willing to give everyone in the league a discount on all product.

Please contact me if you are interested

bret@golfsimulatorguys.com

Thanks

7 Wood CatMan is on a distinguished road CatMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicbooger View Post
    Hi

This is Bret with Golf Simulator Guys. We have decided to sponsor a few of these new online optishot leagues that are popping. We are willing to contribute $100 per league for a prize money and are also willing to give everyone in the league a discount on all product.

Please contact me if you are interested
    bret@golfsimulatorguys.com

Thanks

Hey Bret, this is John (CatMan) Please Email me at CatManEA@comcast.net with any other information I can share with the League.
    Thanks, CatMan
    Last edited by Kilroy; 11-11-2015 at 10:53 AM.

Hi Catman

Glad to help. Ill send an email

5 Iron jagmanjoe is on a distinguished road
    Catman, I think it is great what Bret has offered and while I am not as large an operation as Bret, I would like to offer a Soft Shell Premier as well as a Soft Shell with the Monster turf for prizes courtesy of Slickthings if you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by jagmanjoe View Post
    Catman, I think it is great what Bret has offered and while I am not as large an operation as Bret, I would like to offer a Soft Shell Premier as well as a Soft Shell with the Monster turf for prizes courtesy of Slickthings if you would like.
    Joe I think that is awesome and generous of you, let me get input from players, this is a Big League and we are growing day by day.. There are plenty of golfers with needs for sure... please launch me an email.

Thanks CatMan

glgoat42
    Just quick question what kind if tape works best for the clubs and when calibrating do you take full swings or just wave your club

Sand Wedge coreyhr is on a distinguished road coreyhr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glgoat42 View Post
    Just quick question what kind if tape works best for the clubs and when calibrating do you take full swings or just wave your club
    I use black gaffer's tape with a strip of white duct tape for the driver. Cover the entire sole with the gaffer tape and then a strip of white duct tape close to the leading edge of the driver. I tape my wedges as well by covering the entire sole of the club with the white duct tape. I use just the "duck tape" brand from Wal-Mart. These two methods have yielded me great results.
    Optishot Username: Vincent_Vega

Yes Like Corey Said,

We use Gaffers tape as in my Video and White Duct Tape I have both brands listed on my you tube Site.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNjBGhxhLa4 I also have how to tape your putter on the site as well

Quote Originally Posted by CatMan View Post
    Yes Like Corey Said,

We use Gaffers tape as in my Video and White Duct Tape I have both brands listed on my you tube Site.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNjBGhxhLa4 I also have how to tape your putter on the site as well

This is my newest Tape Video, with a different way of applying it

http://www.twitch.tv/catmanea/c/5545042

CatMan

Mutann
    Great comments on the Optishot 2. I can't wait to save for a sim with all the bells and whistles, I am gonna order soon. Expect a delivery to way up in Canada jagmanjoe!

Sand Wedge coreyhr is on a distinguished road coreyhr's Avatar
    Also... when calibrating, just move your club back and forth like you're using a putting stroke.
    Optishot Username: Vincent_Vega

4 Iron madspeed is on a distinguished road
    Dicks Sporting Goods has the Optishot on sale for $199. I couldnt resist, so I picked up a second unit and now have a lefties and a righties hitting area

8 Iron brcobb is on a distinguished road brcobb's Avatar
    Nice madspeed!

Putter brettsker is on a distinguished road
    Catman i'll be joining the league soon once I figure out some of the inconsistencies.

I'm guessing it might be a lighting issue. I don't have any "major" shadows over the sensor. I have the curly bulbs in the overhead fan/light fixture in the room. There is a very minor shadow which the club creates.

It almost never picks up my first driver swing. I also get the rare 130+mph swing speed readings. I did tape up the driver but i used duct tape and actual reflective tape, unlike what you have in your videos which I watched afterwards of course.

Anyway besides those minor issues there is a bigger one at hand. A friend and I had purchased ponte vedra last night. Only to have the issue of not being able to play it. Is there something special DD has to do in order for us to play this or is there another issue? The only email I received was a receipt...nothing with instructions on how to access the course once it was bought.

Appreciate any help you guys can offer!

Quote Originally Posted by CatMan View Post
    This is my newest Tape Video, with a different way of applying it

http://www.twitch.tv/catmanea/c/5545042

CatMan
    Hey Catman

We are going to test a turftop with an infrared filter. We have a plexiglass filter coming to test. The idea is that any sim using infrared sensors are susceptible to misreads if any lighting in the room has infrared light in it. Daylight has infrared in it. How the filter works is that it will allow infrared to travel through the plexiglass only in one direction. Therefore it will allow the Opti to emit its infrared out but not allow any external infrared to shine on the sensors. If we feel that there is some difference, we may ship you a turf top to test. But of course it won't take the optishot and give it ball tracker accuracy. It just might help with some misreads.

We will receive the sample next week. We will then have it cut and placed in our turf top. We will let you know what we find.

7 Wood wbond is on a distinguished road
    The unit emits IR, but doesn't it try to read the same IR back into the unit? If so, wouldn't the filter prevent this? If it does work, that would be great and should eliminate the wild misreads.
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicbooger View Post
    Hey Catman

We are going to test a turftop with an infrared filter. We have a plexiglass filter coming to test. The idea is that any sim using infrared sensors are susceptible to misreads if any lighting in the room has infrared light in it. Daylight has infrared in it. How the filter works is that it will allow infrared to travel through the plexiglass only in one direction. Therefore it will allow the Opti to emit its infrared out but not allow any external infrared to shine on the sensors. If we feel that there is some difference, we may ship you a turf top to test. But of course it won't take the optishot and give it ball tracker accuracy. It just might help with some misreads.

We will receive the sample next week. We will then have it cut and placed in our turf top. We will let you know what we find.

Quote Originally Posted by wbond View Post
    The unit emits IR, but doesn't it try to read the same IR back into the unit? If so, wouldn't the filter prevent this? If it does work, that would be great and should eliminate the wild misreads.
    To be honest, I don't know. I called a guy who has scratch resistant plexiglass that I want to purchase for our projector boxes. After I told him what we did, he suggested the filter and said that other sim companies that use infrared sensors have used this in the past. So we are going to test it. If it doesn't work, nothing lost.

The system dose work as described above. However, the overall IR spectrum is fairly large. All you need to do is have an acrylic (plexiglass) that blocks the unwanted IR and passes the IR you need to use. Specific IR blocking/passing materials are available.

Do you happen to know the specifics of what these are or a link to one of the products? I would like to find a piece and give it a try, just not sure what exactly to look for.
    Quote Originally Posted by brcobb View Post
    The system dose work as described above. However, the overall IR spectrum is fairly large. All you need to do is have an acrylic (plexiglass) that blocks the unwanted IR and passes the IR you need to use. Specific IR blocking/passing materials are available.

1 Iron FaultyClubs is on a distinguished road
    IR emitters and detectors are already much more sophisticated than you guys are describing.

Good detectors these days already have filter packs built in (better than simple plexiglass) as well as optics designed to ignore light from unwanted directions. Also emitters are typically more narrow band than receivers so one has to match the filters carefully to avoid really messing things up. And making a filter with good passband characteristics and also good stopband shape requires very sophisticated filter stacks that aren't going to be made at home...they are hard enough even in the lab.

And all that ignores the electrical system design in the simulator. Filters change the timing and a host of other things assumed by the existing design.

Bottomline: the Optishot would have to be very badly designed for a home user to be able to improve.

adefields
    Quote Originally Posted by brcobb View Post
    Basically, the system has you move your woods across the sensor with the face square 5 times. It "swishes" if it reads properly. It then has you do the same for an open face and again with a closed face. So, the software is basically "learning" what a square, open and closed readings are for the reflections from the club so they can be applied at full swing speed.

Everytime I try to calibrate clubs it either won't read or tells me the calibration was compromised (ends up reading about 1 out of 3 swings). Has anyone found a good way to calibrate clubs? I've been doing 3/4 to full swings. I read in another post to basically do putter strokes. Does that tend to work better?

Putter brettsker is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by adefields View Post
    Everytime I try to calibrate clubs it either won't read or tells me the calibration was compromised (ends up reading about 1 out of 3 swings). Has anyone found a good way to calibrate clubs? I've been doing 3/4 to full swings. I read in another post to basically do putter strokes. Does that tend to work better?

Yup putting strokes is the way to go...I've just gone through this with every club finally and i'm getting fairly accurate results now!

I have taped all of my clubs and the only one i still am having issues with is my driver...I've only got one more trick I can think of but if that doesn't work i'll be getting ahold of optishot to see what they think...

Good luck though! A putting stroke will do the trick!
    Optishot Username - brettskermetzger

More than likely you have a lighting issue. I've found this system very difficult to get accurate readings and even getting it to calibrate. You really need to eliminate any ambient light. Then I use a single flourescent bulb overhead and off to the sensor side a little. I'm able to get it to calibrate pretty easy now and I use a putting motion to control the clubhead. However, the woods are still a mess with wild readings. Not sure what's going on there yet. Tried different taping methods and just can't seem to get it to be consistant. One swing will be a somewhat correct swing speed then the next will be way high.

Couple of thoughts.......FaultyClubs is absolutely correct in that the ir emitters\sensors are a lot more complex and sophisticated than described. However, if you consider the "system" to be the Optishot sensor pad, the clubs and the environment, you can absolutely make it better. For example......Taping clubs for better reflection and removing ambient ir light. As stated, typically the ir sensor portion is not as narrow as the emitter. it is not impossible to use materials to block ambient ir. The problem is knowing what wavelength needs to pass. Based on the style, I am guessing the Optishot is using Sharp emitter/receiver packs. I have't looked to see if they are tuned to a specific wavelength and if there is a material readily available as a filter.

ancien
    With the rain of these days i've found my garage full of water...
    Unfortunately the optishot was on the floor :\ and i think that it take some water on.
    I've tried to connect to the computer but the computer doesn't recognize the pad.
    I will wait some day in the hope that all the water go away from it...
    Any hope for me?
    Or i can say good bye to it?
    Any experience on that?

I had this problem until I added the overhead LED shoplights over my sensors. Now, it works perfectly!

Lob Wedge jbeck is on a distinguished road
    I was wondering if anyone using a projector has issues reading the smaller text on the top and bottom of the screen? The top small text were it show the player, hole, distance etc. and the lower section where it shows yardarm to hole, slope, club selection.
    I am on my second projector (#2 is much better quality than the first) I get a nice 8x8 picture, 3000 lumans, so it;s nice and bright the text is just not clear. Is this the software and the text they use for the program? I can read it somewhat but not as clear as I would expect. Also using a Macbook Pro

Any help would be appreciated.

maybe Optishot just needs to change the font they are using for this smaller text, I don't know...

Thanks again

You may need to play around a bit with the screen resolution and aspect ratio from within Optishot

Also, OptiShot should be run at the same screen resolution as your computer

Lob Wedge jbeck is on a distinguished road
    I run Optishot at the same screen res as the computer and have tried multiple settings within the computer and within Optishot. Are you getting clear text?

Also, when I do change the setting within Optishot, I don't really see any changes, maybe I am doing something wrong.
    Attached Images

Thread Information