100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Paulz is on a distinguished road

computer for vector pro

Have vector pro with upgraded microlenses , e6 software may upgrade launch monitor in a few years. Looking at alienware x51r2 desktop computer processor i5- 3ghz- 8gb memory- 1tb hard disk- win 7 - dedicated graphics -graphics card nvidia gtx 645 factory refurbished 675 dollars. Will this work ??? Overkill ?? refurbished ???

5 Iron skyeoh is on a distinguished road
    that spec will work.
    i7 would be better though and stay away from Win 8 as the software doesn't have drivers for the OS

3 Wood Stonebattle is on a distinguished road
    That system looks powerful enough. The GTX 645 is not particularly powerful, but should work.

Thank you Stonebattle what would be better choice than GTX 645 ???/ what about GTX 760 TI 2GB DDR5
    Last edited by Paulz; 11-14-2014 at 11:13 AM. Reason: additional info

To me the graphics card is one of the hardware choices one should not scrimp on. The GTX 760 Ti 2GB DDR5 is the minimum I would go with right now. Others of similar capability are Radeon R9 270X or Radeon HD 7950. For the price I think a Radeon R9 280 is hard to beat. GTX 770 with 2 GB of GDDR5 would be nice, but cost more.

bought alienware x51 r2 i7 haswell 8gb 1TB GTX760Ti Win 7 extended already extended budget

Vector pro software doesn't demand much from the video card. It's a 2 year old software and most current PC specs are more than capable to run it. I ran my off an Intel integrated card and it ran well. Just stay away from Windows 8.

shyeoh:
    That is true, and that is also the case for many simulators, although that is beginning to change Still, l look at these systems as gaming computers. Even if one plans to use this only for Vector pro applications, sooner of later that computer will be used for something else, and if good hardware choices are made up front, the computer will be much more useable for future application. So, I stand by what I suggested.

I'm new to this,but doesn't it take more "power" to run e6 simulation than just the vector ?

Stone: no disagreement there if one happen to have an old PC lying around and wants to use it as a vector launch monitor computer. The vector has complex ball flight and dynamics algorithms but pretty thrifty on video graphics demand. Only thing that is "moving fast" is the ball unlike this coming Christmas latest RPG game every teenager is wishing to see under the Christmas tree.

Now if one wants future golf-toy compatibility, the fundamental computer edict prevails, buy the most powerful PC your budget allows. Personally I would still be bias for CPU processing power, SSD speed/space and RAM memory instead graphics card. ......that said do get something respectable for the latter and not a 8bit VGA card with 258k memory, remember those some of us use for Pacman. lol.

Now Paulz, if you have future aspiration to drop more $$ on an E6 simulator that is a different discussion. Simulators iMO is a launch monitor plus a some funky graphics rendering married together. It will demand a lot more on your PC and wallet. Go for the best, $$ can buy..... bring a teenager along in your buying spree, they are your best tech guru, their dream gaming PC will run anything the golf simulator world can throw at it ..........hmmm except the secretive SkyTrak who decided to run off an iOS platform. Their designers are under the sun for too long their brains are fried. Almost every home in a developing and developed world has a window based PC or tablet but not everyone has the latest iPad Air!

skyeoh:
    Your post made me laugh.

I've seen so many folks buy a computer with a high end CPU and not upgrade the graphics card and find out later they cannot play the game they want with anywhere near the settings they would like. I have a I7 860 OCed to 3.2G with HD 7950 about a 10% OC with 16G of DDR 1600 ram. My sister has an I5 750 and a HD 7870, both at stock frequency and 8G of DDR 1333 ram. When fraps is run on various games with both setups, it's amazing how close these two setup are. My setup was quite a bit more expensive.

To me, one is much better off with a mid level CPU such as an I5 and a higher level graphics card from AMD or Nvidia.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonebattle View Post
    skyeoh:
    Your post made me laugh.

I've seen so many folks buy a computer with a high end CPU and not upgrade the graphics card and find out later they cannot play the game they want with anywhere near the settings they would like. I have a I7 860 OCed to 3.2G with HD 7950 about a 10% OC with 16G of DDR 1600 ram. My sister has an I5 750 and a HD 7870, both at stock frequency and 8G of DDR 1333 ram. When fraps is run on various games with both setups, it's amazing how close these two setup are. My setup was quite a bit more expensive.

To me, one is much better off with a mid level CPU such as an I5 and a higher level graphics card from AMD or Nvidia.
    I am glad I made someone laugh.

I don't fully subscribe to your logic and believe me not I have done all those OC, water cooling and turbo charging various types of computer because I can and know how to...and I still hate the Apple architecture despite having more Apple gadgets at home (that aren't mine, guess whose) than windows.

That said it is always easier to upgrade a video card vs. a CPU. Cyber Monday is just around the corner and your favorite Walmart store will be having the video card blue light sales. LOL. If one looks at the longevity of a PC, what obsoletes a PC and makes it a boat anchor is the CPU never a video card

To upgrade a CPU is not a simple pop it open drop it in task. It involves ensuring the MB and RAM are compatible and running in sync etc etc etc. Video card is a lot less elaborate unless your MB doesn't have the the right bus or available slots, it is a stick it in and play....sounds corny. LOL

A large majority of us here is to have a fun time with the simulator during winter season and would not be tweaking the computer running it. If you are the latter you are either, a PC geek, have too much time at home and an ignored wife/family. LOL.

Let Paulz have his fun with his new toy. He has what he has and should give him lots of fun nights.

Paulz:
    We seem to have gotten off track. Anyway system recommendations of E6 as I understand it are these:
    Core2Duo, i3, i5, i7 – 2.0Ghz or faster
    4GB RAM
    Windows XP, Windows 7 or Windows 8
    25GB free hard drive space
    nVidia dedicated graphics GTX 460 or higher with 1GB RAM (more is better) video memory
    DVD drive

I suppose you could have saved some money with a mid level CPU, but I know it is sometimes tough to get a deal and get the exact hardware configuration you want. As I understand it the GTX 460 1GB is the minimum recommend and higher is better. The GTX 760 is about twice as fast as the GTX 460, so what you have will likely do well even when E6II comes out. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for the help didn't mean for a battle---- stone . Appreciate the thoughts from both of you. Always good to have more than one point of view.

Thread Information