100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    7 Iron drcabral is on a distinguished road

Need club head data for gc2. Please help!!!

I have a GC2 but don't want to pay the for $5000 HMT just for club head data. I am staying away from analyzes that attach to club shafts as they don't appear to be accurate.

Was thinking about purchasing a P3 PRO Swing Analyzer just to to get club head data. Wanted to know how accurate the unit is for club head data (compared to others ie ProTee) and if there were any other cost feasible options?

3 Wood Stonebattle is on a distinguished road
    There is a flash associated with the P3pro when sensing the club that I believe interferes with GC2 readings. I'm not sure they are compatible. When the P3pro is setup right it's accurate.

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    Stonebattle is right, but it is the flash from the GC2 that makes the P3pro miss the swing some times. Every 4th or so swings seems to not register. If the P3pro has turf compared to the rubber top it may be better to shield the flash from the GC2 or a home made turf top can work.

I have used mine together and it can be helpful to see the club data from the P3pro. The only drawback is the tape and reflective strip needing to be on the clubs, but for just setting up one club to hit some and compare it is a much cheaper way to get club data.

Thanks for the info SFR. I have friend with a GC2 and we had the opportunity to try the units together. He does not have the club sensing hardware and he was getting confused about what he was doing. We got missed swings with both and I attributed the P3pro misses due to my friends poor swing path and contact. I thought the GC2 unit must have missed swings due to the P3pro's flash because the closer we got the P3pro unit to the GC2 sensor it seemed the more often it happened. I know there is only a limited space for the GC2 to sense the ball, so we may have been pushing the limits. Actually, he still liked the info he got.

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by drcabral View Post
    I have a GC2 but don't want to pay the for $5000 HMT just for club head data. I am staying away from analyzes that attach to club shafts as they don't appear to be accurate.

Was thinking about purchasing a P3 PRO Swing Analyzer just to to get club head data. Wanted to know how accurate the unit is for club head data (compared to others ie ProTee) and if there were any other cost feasible options?
    I think you're mixing apples and oranges here.

GC2 is an excellent launch monitor. I've tested them out and they were brutally honest and accurate for all hits and mis-hits. Not sure what clubhead data will give you in this case.

Are you using the GC2 driving range software? There's lots of feedback visually on what your shots look like on the big screen.

Get some lessons and understand how your swing affects what your clubhead is doing. It'll be cheaper than the HMT.

My 2 cents

Lessons are always a good way to go.

Ball info is not always enough to fix an issue with the swing. An example of this might be a fade shot that starts left but ends up right. One might come to the conclusion that the face was closed at impact and the swing path was more out to in than the face angle. In reality the face may have been closed, but the path may actually been in to out and the ball strike may have been towards the heal enough to impart slice spin to cause the ball to slice to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by AJA View Post
    I think you're mixing apples and oranges here.

GC2 is an excellent launch monitor. I've tested them out and they were brutally honest and accurate for all hits and mis-hits. Not sure what clubhead data will give you in this case.

Are you using the GC2 driving range software? There's lots of feedback visually on what your shots look like on the big screen.

Get some lessons and understand how your swing affects what your clubhead is doing. It'll be cheaper than the HMT.

My 2 cents
    Yeah, I wouldn't buy the HMT. Nothing justifies the cost, unless money is no issue, or if you're for PGA professional, or if you are into club fitting. I agree with the above there r certain factors that play a role for ball flight that is helpful to have feedback on. I've been working with my instuctor (who by the way is the best golf instructor in the area according to Golf Digest Top 100 instructor list and he charges $125 an hour).

Anyway, we were working on the driver one day with a Trackman and he showed me the relationship between target line, club path and face angle and how these influence ball flight. I wanted to get some better feedback and understanding of these relationships so I can understand why I'n fading or drawing the ball. I'm only going to need the data for my driver as it tends to be my errant club. I don't want to get into ball data vs club head data as that's been beat to death. I am just trying to get a reasonably accurate club head data with my GC2. With getting the HMT(unless I can buy one for $1000 or less).

I see that the sensors concept for the P3 Pro appears to be similar Pro Tee and others. I am just curious as to how the units stack up side by side. First, are the radar units able to see the club head and ball impacting 3D? It appeared that the unit had all club head data(path, horizontal and vertical face angle etc...) Second, do sensor pads like the P3 Pro give you only 2D(club path, ball direction, horizontal face angle? Can a sensor pad alone see if the ball is hit on bottom or top of the club and what the vertices face angle? Third, how do the sensor pads by themselves stack up? Is P3 Pro equal to Protee and GSA? I saw another blogger with a GC2 mention that using P3 Pro with GC2 worked to get him the club data he needed at a low cost. Just wondering if this is a reasonable thing to consider as A P3 Pro just sold on eBay for $500.

I have taken more than a few swings on Optishot, P3pro and Protee. I only had a chance to compare the optishot and the P3pro. I tend to swing my driver with a 1 to 2 degree in to out path. All three seemed to observe that tendency very well. As far as face impact, P3pro had a slight advantage over the Optishot there, but not as much as one might think. It was also a small sample, so take that with only a few gains of salt. One would think the Protee would be a lot better, but I actually could not tell that much difference for club data. Maybe there was, but I could not observe it. As a simulator, Protee is heads and shoulders above the P3pro. One does gets more club info with P3pro and Protee. Angle of attack is very useful with the P3pro, although not perfect by any means. I am not a Protee expert, so I will let those folks chime in on it.

I have a friend with a GC2 and he found the information he got from my P3pro very useful. He does not have GC2's club detecting hardware, and was having a hard time figuring out what he was doing. I know, see your PGA pro. I told him that too. Still, he refused to do that and the P3pro helped him out.

7 Wood wbond is on a distinguished road
    THe P3pro can tell you where you hit on the clubface, top/bottom and side to side. You may have to play with the settings and knowing where you hit on the the face when initially getting tee heights setup. They are 2d images. I also have an optishot, but due to my poor lighting conditions in the garage, i stopped using it because of wild readings and only use the p3pro currently. It wasn't nearly as finicky. I ordered the skytrak, hoping between the two, it will give me all that i am looking for. Didn't have funds for GC2, but i have two friends who have them and the gc2 is an awesome unit.

2 Iron DjPiLL is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by drcabral View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't buy the HMT. Nothing justifies the cost, unless money is no issue, or if you're for PGA professional, or if you are into club fitting. I agree with the above there r certain factors that play a role for ball flight that is helpful to have feedback on.

I wouldn't say nothing justifies the cost. I have the HMT and I have to say as a high handicapper it has helped me out tremendously, especially with the driver. Yes it is a lot of money, but I guess you have to ask yourself how important is it to improve your game? For me it was very important as golf was turning into a serious hobby for me.

Getting an instructor is a good thing, however for pure practice nothing compares to having club path data after every shot. Did that ball slice to the right? It could be pure face contact. Could also be club path angle. A GC2 by itself will not tell you this. If I had to do it again I'd buy the HMT again.

Quote Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post
    I wouldn't say nothing justifies the cost. I have the HMT and I have to say as a high handicapper it has helped me out tremendously, especially with the driver. Yes it is a lot of money, but I guess you have to ask yourself how important is it to improve your game? For me it was very important as golf was turning into a serious hobby for me.

Getting an instructor is a good thing, however for pure practice nothing compares to having club path data after every shot. Did that ball slice to the right? It could be pure face contact. Could also be club path angle. A GC2 by itself will not tell you this. If I had to do it again I'd buy the HMT again.
    I should have said "to me" nothing has convinced me the HMT is worth the cost. There are a lot of subjective factors that ways into everyone's decision as to what hardware they want to improve there game, if a simulator can even improve your game for that matter (separate issue). But, I am trying to understand a few things.

First, is the HMT unit more accurate/superior when compared to P3proswing or Protee when it comes to measuring club head data? I know the units collect the data in a different manner but, does that mean one is more accurate or reliable than the other?

bk1106
    My decision to get the HMT was a bit on the over-committed side for me, a high-handicap weekend player. The GC2 alone was very useful, showing me the ball flight on my simulator and key data such as side spin. I got the HMT about 3 months after getting the GC2. But since I got it, I did spend more of the time between shots studying the club head data.

The HMT is indeed pricey, but I know it has a ready used market if I ever needed to turn it back into cash. (so few has it, so many wants one at a lower price point) So, for me, the HMT shall remain useful or it will cost me a small discount when I get rid of it. So far, I am quite pleased that I got it.

Just my 2 cents!

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    So how much do you want for it?

Quote Originally Posted by mthunt View Post
    So how much do you want for it?
    No me first?! 😃 Any accuracy comparisons?

Thread Information