CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Jackfor is on a distinguished road

P3Progolf club head speed and distance

Please I need some advise. I'm new to the forum. Just received a P3Progolf unit from Cory. I used to be a low single digit handicap, but after 3 lower back surgeries my swing speed is now lower. Now at 140 yards I use a 7 iron. On the P3Progolf my best 7 iron is 122.
    Also, with the driver, I normally hit 210-220 but on the P3 only 167 yards. I have check the ball speed with my ES12 with a 7 iron and it's 7-8 mph less on the P3. I have checked the user manual but I cannot find how to adjust the distance or the club head speed. I have 7.0 version. Help would be appreciated.

7 Wood wbond is on a distinguished road
    In the regular P3 software, click on options then on the golf tab. In there, it has dynamic distance tuning, move the slider over a little until it's closer to what you hit. On the new virtual software, i haven't quite figured that one out yet. Maybe someone else can help. You have to go into customize the players clubs and then mess around with the LA, smash, headweight, etc.

3 Wood Stonebattle is on a distinguished road
    Make sure you download 7.004 and install it. They are still working on this software so there will likely be many more updates. With the new software, at the main menu there is an options tab. Click it. Then you will see a players tab. Click it. Create a player. Check the default player box. Click next. You can change ball color if you want and set tee heights for your clubs. Click edit clubs. Make sure the calculated smash factors box is unchecked. You can then click on the various clubs to set smash factors and launch angles, which will impact club distances. You can set the other club parameters if you know them. Click ok. I make sure the Sensor Impact boxes are unchecked and make sure the Sweet Spot Penalties is check to get the most realistic results. You will need to go to the driving range and experiment with the results and adjust as necessary.

I have found that my 7 iron swing speed is a bit over 5% less and 7 iron ball speed is about 10% less on the P3proswing then it is on Trackman or Flightscope. Still, this is not a major issues given all of the adjustments they have provided. The folks at P3proswing have done a fine job with this software. Much more to come for sure, but it is stating to look very good. Enjoy

Thankyou wbound and Stonebattle to help me. Stonebattle, I have to tell you the Sensor Impact boxes were checked, so I will fix that.
    About the smash factor, does higher number mean longer distance?

I just made some test with the smash factor and it works very good. Thankyou Stonebattle.

I'm glad it worked out. I think you know by now, but yes higher smash factor mean longer distance.

Stonebattle can you give me your advise again. Very often with the putter it's written ''above sweet spot''. I have try a second putter, same problem. Both putters are taped.

I just ran across that issue as well with the new software. I have not tracked down the cause yet. Does not happen all the time.

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackfor View Post
    Stonebattle can you give me your advise again. Very often with the putter it's written ''above sweet spot''. I have try a second putter, same problem. Both putters are taped.

When you use Sweet Spot Penalties, the system will use your pad height for tee and grass height. Also you should see there are 2 pad types. Grass top and rubber. The grass adds a 1/2" or more (can't recall ) due to the grass height on top of the rubber pad. So if you set all the tee height to 0 and grass to 0, you should be able to swipe a putter (low to the pad) and get accurate contact point. Play with the heights a bit to make sure they match where they should on your club. It matters not as to how tall of a face on club you use. It sees that reflective strip at the same height and depending on their internal setting will show where on the face it thinks you hit it.

If you do not have Sweet Spot Penalties checked, you will hit the ball not matter what height and have no miss hit penalty added. It still may show the impact point on the club as being high or low but will not matter in your shot.

Also when you adjust your club smash factor and un check calculate smash factor, you can't re check it after or it will go back to default smash factors. If you are off by a smaller amount you could also try first to leave that calculate button checked and then slide the mass of the face up all the way and tweak the LA up a bit on all irons. If that is enough then you still can use the calculate smash factor button.

They are trying to figure what to allow when on line doing a competition and they won't let smash factors be adjusted and will default to regular settings. So watch for that if you play those.

If you use Sweet Spot Penalties you need to make sure your tee heights are 100% accurate and use some duct tape on the face of your clubs so you can see actual impact point and if it is off, adjust your tee heights up or down. Big thing is you also need to have the exact same real tee height every time or you will not have accurate reads. Most times it is better to play all irons without a tee and don't have tee toggled on the tee box when you go to hit unless you are sure your tee height is the same every time.

In this area I was unable to test as at that time the tee heights were not working. I think they are now but I still never tested.

Thank you SFR for this answer. I just try ; wood tee 1 inch, iron tee 0 inch, grass 0 inch, sweet spot unchecked, and the verdic is WOW.
    Much more fun to play, and the putting is very good, even better than I expected when I bought it. Great info SFR.

Yes, SFR has it going on.

Another way to check where your club face is hitting the ball is to place a camera about three feet in front of the ball position, in a straight line and at the same level as the center of the ball. I use a white rubber tee, no ball, for the driver set to about 1.5 inches. For irons and the putter, I use 0.75 inches for a tee height.

I have a Casio FC150 set to 240 FPS with an ISO of 800 or greater to get a clear picture. It's fun. as you can see exactly where the top of the tee is hitting the club face and see how accurate the sensor pad is.

I still have had the putter height issue come up, Not sure why yet.

Pitching Wedge DeaconBlooze is on a distinguished road
    I used some impact tape to get my heights corrected. It took a little bit, but at least my height is dead on at this point.

Simply check what your impact tape shows compared to what P3 tells you. Go into your player settings, and adjust your tee height up or down until the screen matches the feedback you get on your tape.

I also found that my tape was slightly off-center. That's a little bit more difficult to fix. I wish they had a better alignment tool for that (the 2-step tape applicator is about 7/8 the size of the reflective strip!!).

Lob Wedge lazyjack is on a distinguished road
    My P3proswing has always under read on swing speed. Like 30%. ProSwing tell me it is lighting. It could be but I have used it in different locations and it always under reads by the same amount. Also path and strike seem dead accurate. It has never worried me because I know my carry distances and use P3ProSwing for swing path, strike, face angle etc. For that is it great. If anyone does have a similar issue and gets to the bottom of it I would be interested.

lazyjack:
    I also have issues with swing speed on my P3proswing, although no where near 30%.
    For example, Trackman has my 7 iron swing speed at 82.3 mph, Flightscope 82.7 mph, GC2 83 mph and Mizuno's shaft optimizer has it at 82 mph. My P3proswing measures it around 77 mph to 78 mph. Lower, but no where near 30% low.

I have to believe there is an issue with the sensor or lighting. Do you have your clubs taped and follow their guidelines? Many folks have had success with placing a low power CFL directly above the sensor in combination with shielding the sensor from other direct light sources.

You could be right Stonebattle. P3ProSwing say it is almost impossible for the unit to under read. CFL? Are they fluorescent lights?
    I have just set up a new hitting area in the garage. I got hold of a cheap Vector X to use until the pricing on Skytrak, Flightscope settles down. I tried it yesterday and it gave pretty near perfect readings on my driver and 9 iron. But that is all ball data and it would be good if I could also get accurate club head data from the P3Proswing.
    I have tapped up the clubs and even tried painting them mat black to stop reflections.

CFL is short for compact fluorescent lamp. I have an older P3proswing unit and it seems this CFL technique does not work as well with those.
    You would not happen to have a reflective surface that could be reflecting a light source on the sensor. This happened to me once. I know you have moved the unit around, but I'm starting to come up empty on suggestions.

Sorrted!!!

I think we have cracked it, it was lighting. I put plywood over the window and opened the doors to let diffuse daylight through. Suddenly got amazingly similar results from the two launch monitors. Having been trying for years with curtains etc I am amazed and very pleased. i attach a photo of the two screens so you can see how close the P3ProSwing and Vector X are.
    Attached Images

Lob Wedge ambi is on a distinguished road
    Awesome test and comparison! making me feel even better about my P3 purchase

This is without the Launch angle camera I assume? do you plan on adding this to your P3 for even more accuracy (though it is pretty darn accurate enough as it seems)?

Quote Originally Posted by lazyjack View Post
    I think we have cracked it, it was lighting. I put plywood over the window and opened the doors to let diffuse daylight through. Suddenly got amazingly similar results from the two launch monitors. Having been trying for years with curtains etc I am amazed and very pleased. i attach a photo of the two screens so you can see how close the P3ProSwing and Vector X are.

Thread Information