100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

PGA golfer Patrick Reed facing discipline after calling self a gay slur

American PGA golfer Patrick Reed is facing discipline after TV sound crews picked up the 24-year-old calling himself a gay slur at the WGC-HSBC Champions event in Shanghai on Thursday.

More...

Lob Wedge eagleput is on a distinguished road

what if

suppose he muttered "hetro dickhead" would that incurr discipline

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Guilty ! Throw the book at him ! How could he not know that it is criminal offence to have your inner voice use such inappropriate language !

It sure is a different world out there now.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    New disclaimer for TGC:

WARNING! This golf tournament may contain scenes of violence and course language. Viewer discretion is advised.

Pretty much covers most of the rounds that I play!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Reed's kind of behaviour occurs when we play a round with our golf buddies and no one really cares. But does anyone actually condone it when it's done in front of a gallery containing impressionable kids or women and heard on national television in front of same? In this day of "grow the game," his antics are the exact opposite of what the game needs.

8 Iron zee51 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Reed's kind of behaviour occurs when we play a round with our golf buddies and no one really cares. But does anyone actually condone it when it's done in front of a gallery containing impressionable kids or women and heard on national television in front of same? In this day of "grow the game," his antics are the exact opposite of what the game needs.
    A little harsh judgment. Who has not said something under their breath that was not meant for others. People can be emotional and can lose control of what they are saying even if only for a few seconds. The guy said something in anger directed at himself (not anyone else). He then acknowledged that he said it and did not try to hide it. He realized what he did and said he was sorry. What else do you want from the guy?

The press invents stories and escalates mistakes so that they can have a story when there really isn't one. If this is such a concern get rid of he mics and this would not have been picked up. I would just add that I don't recall Tiger ever getting disciplinary action for dropping F bombs all over the place when he hit a bad shot.

It just seems to me that this whole politically correct thing has gone way to far and is called out for the most part by hypocrites in the media. By the way if they really want to have something to talk about they can sit behind a bench during an NHL game.

This is nonsense.

By the way for those wondering exactly what was said go to

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/pa...hampions-china

Hybrid jimmyc is on a distinguished road
    sorry but no.

Comparing the F bomb to a gay slur..seriously? Is it OK he called himself a facking ni**er? Not at all. Defending him is almost as bad as what he said. Just because he apologized has zero bearing on what he did. I am disgusted that people are defending him. I thought more of our society.

8 Iron zee51 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post
    sorry but no.

Comparing the F bomb to a gay slur..seriously? Is it OK he called himself a facking ni**er? Not at all. Defending him is almost as bad as what he said. Just because he apologized has zero bearing on what he did. I am disgusted that people are defending him. I thought more of our society.
    First, it is not a slur, gay or otherwise. Had he directed the comment at someone I would be in complete agreement. However, he did not call someone else a name to insult or demean another person. He was referencing himself so it is not a slur per se. I suppose if he said you 3 putted you idiot rather than what he said, that all the idiots would be upset.

I guess we will just disagree but people are too sensitive and its getting to a point where it is just plain ridiculous. People in sports are still human and they do make mistakes.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post
    sorry but no.

I would guess that the majority would also be disgusted by Reed's, Tiger's and perhaps others' similar behaviour. I wonder, too, if the same words came out of their 13 year old son's mouth, if they would excuse that, too.

Hybrid jimmyc is on a distinguished road
    So if you call yourself a ni**er ( black slur) that makes it ok as opposed to directing it at someone else? That makes people that hear overly sensitive? I dont care if he call his ball the slur, using the word is wrong ; full stop. For a professional athlete in a sport that allows its fans front row live seats closer than most sports he should be severely punished.

Putter slotswing is on a distinguished road
    Interesting discussion. Agree the media has an interest in elevating the importance of a slur, but I think sports such as golf and tennis are uniquely vulnerable given fan/gallery proximity to players. After seeing arguably the most prolific golfer in history (TW) unabashedly slur at a tournament this year, I'm hesitant to take my youngest son to see him in a golf tournament, which is sad given his emerging interest in the sport. I'm a huge fan of TW's accomplishments, which transcend golf and sports in general, and hopefully he will find a way to channel his intensity in a more acceptable way. To be fair other greats (Jones, Hogan, younger Nicklaus) exhibited idiosyncratic and temperamental behavior on the course when much less was recorded. Nonetheless, the PGA should take action appropriate to the level of the infraction and should not discriminate based on the accomplishments of the player.

Thread Information