CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    8 Iron DFDubb is on a distinguished road
    What's pictured I that eBay listing is large enough to stand on and hit from.

Putter sdak is on a distinguished road
    DFDubb

"Sdak, seems like a good fit and meets your req's, but I'm guessing you're implying my opinion is biased. Not tons of these floating around in North America so not sure if others can/will chime in."

Certainly not directing this at you. It just seems you cannot get honest, impartial feedback on anything but the Optishot, ProTee or GC2. What about the GA X, GA II or the P3Pro now that they are making changes. I do not believe our only good options are go cheap or go big. Good or bad. Feedback on hardware, software, simulation the technology or the company. There are those with a wealth of knowledge and experience. Please share it with us in a fair and unbiased way.

Thanks,

Pitching Wedge DeaconBlooze is on a distinguished road
    It seems like this has advantages to a sensor based pad. I guess one of the disadvantages is you won't get any club data, correct?

With something like this, are sand and flop shots possible? How is the putting?

Does anyone have the means to compare this to a GC2 or a protee?

I think you need to re-read the thread. I owned the gc2 before this and have compared the two. If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them. I also went into detail about chipping and putting.

Also it has been discussed and advertised by them that you get BALL and CLUB data.

7 Wood wbond is on a distinguished road
    This unit is not in the same ballpark in terms of price compared to p3pro. If you buy it with the mat, about 2600 compared to 800 (plus LA camera if you want that). If you don't buy it with the mat it is still about 1600 and not sure how diy friendly it would be to replicate so you get accurate info or protect the unit itself.

Question
    Is clubhead data measured or calculated at impact? It appears to me that it measures some data when the club passes through the laser zone and would then calculate all the other parameters at impact. If you are more of a sweeper vs divot taker, the exit speed would be different if they had the same impact speed. If you hit one on the toe and it opens the clubface slightly would it believe that you actually had an open face at impact? Seems like if it's only measuring club data post shot and calculating all others at impact, it could be off quite a bit based on how good the swing is.

Lob Wedge doh is on a distinguished road
    How does the GII accommodate playing with lefties? Is it easy to switch around?

Absolutely not easy at all. IMO it is strictly a lefty or righty config only. Going back and forth in a round of golf just simply isn't possible.

Lob Wedge doh is on a distinguished road
    Thanks. Good to know that it won't work for me - my son swings left...

Putter Petroche is on a distinguished road
    The GA-X that is being launched in North America next year "appears" to accommodate leftys and rightys not much information on it as yet. You could get in touch with sales, they got back to me promptly.

3 Wood Stonebattle is on a distinguished road
    I have seen the demonstration on how the Golf Achiever works. I was wondering, does anyone know how it senses club head path and face angle? It looks like the lasers are several inches in front of the ball position. I can see how it might get shaft lean and path, but not club head data.

5 Iron skyeoh is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Petroche View Post
    The GA-X that is being launched in North America next year "appears" to accommodate leftys and rightys not much information on it as yet. You could get in touch with sales, they got back to me promptly.
    Tried contacting Golf Achiever and they don't seem to respond to emails for more info.....which email contact did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by skyeoh View Post
    Tried contacting Golf Achiever and they don't seem to respond to emails for more info.....which email contact did you use?
    sales@golfachiever.com

Quote Originally Posted by Petroche View Post
    Hmm.......send them 2 emails on that email address last week but no reply.
    Was interested to get more details about the GA-X but I guess they aren't interested in the sale or are the going.........?

Putter cgsgolfer is on a distinguished road
    Hmm.......send them 2 emails on that email address last week but no reply.
    Was interested to get more details about the GA-X but I guess they aren't interested in the sale or are the going.........?
    Calling their 408 number seems to work OK. I submitted questions about the GAII unit on the ebay auction. While I was waiting for a response, I decided to call Focaltron. Spoke to Kevin there and he answered all the questions that I had about the GAII unit. Based on those answers and the posts by DFDubb, I decided to get the unit. Focaltron (really Kevin) has been very good about getting me paper work, shipping status and a ups tracking number for the delivery estimate. It was a good point in your post to look at possible longer term issues. But, with a unit in the actual process of shipping and if it works out of the box, it will be a good start (the GSA LX tread here has been a good primer for me to look at the purchases of a sim with some caution).

Quote Originally Posted by Stonebattle View Post
    I have seen the demonstration on how the Golf Achiever works. I was wondering, does anyone know how it senses club head path and face angle? It looks like the lasers are several inches in front of the ball position. I can see how it might get shaft lean and path, but not club head data.
    When I asked the manufacturer, they replied that it was a combination of measurements of the club head as it passes though the laser grid, the starting ball position and ball metrics from the laser grid. Exactly how much of swing path, face angle and face impact values were implied or estimated from the direct measurements was harder determine in the conversation. It did seem that given the input values for the starting ball position were a user variable and would impact the swing path and face angle results. I did leave the conversation with the impression that once the input variables were adjusted correctly, the resulting calculation would be consistent. I'm taking that to mean I could adjust what it calculates for face angle but if those adjustments were frozen then the consistency of the calculations would enable me to see how the club's face angle would or would not change with subsequent swings. When I get the unit, it will be interesting to see if it is possible to determine how it calculates the break out of path and face angle since there is an interdependence.

Quote Originally Posted by cgsgolfer View Post
    When I asked the manufacturer, they replied that it was a combination of measurements of the club head as it passes though the laser grid, the starting ball position and ball metrics from the laser grid. Exactly how much of swing path, face angle and face impact values were implied or estimated from the direct measurements was harder determine in the conversation. It did seem that given the input values for the starting ball position were a user variable and would impact the swing path and face angle results. I did leave the conversation with the impression that once the input variables were adjusted correctly, the resulting calculation would be consistent. I'm taking that to mean I could adjust what it calculates for face angle but if those adjustments were frozen then the consistency of the calculations would enable me to see how the club's face angle would or would not change with subsequent swings. When I get the unit, it will be interesting to see if it is possible to determine how it calculates the break out of path and face angle since there is an interdependence.

CGSGolfer, any reasons why you went with the GA-II instead of the GA-X?

It seemed the large advantages of the GA-X were 1) could be used by right & left golfers without having to change the platform setup; 2) the newer design implied that it would be more robust since the lower unit was more protected by the platform rather than being exposed like the GAII laser frame; and 3) the cost without taking into account the platform was 300 or so lower than the GAII.

Except for price, I convinced myself that GAII would be OK for me. Currently there isn't a need for a left hitting position. While expensive and a shipping problem, they convinced me that newer mat was an improvement on the old hitting mat. Apparently it protects and holds the assembly in place better, reducing the need for frequent adjustments of the lasers. If I was more handy and had flexibility in my hitting area, building a DIY platform for the GA-X or GAII may have been an interesting cost alternative. But, I wasn't sure I could get something built easily and just paid up for hopefully a close to turnkey solution. But, at the 1300 cost, building something was an interesting alternative. In the end, I went with the package since in the past I've just not done well with DIY stuff.

If I didn't rule out the GA-X because of the DIY issue, I would have looked more closely at the delivery timeframe issue (rumored 30 days) and any issues with a of 9 ft x 3 ft laser grid (such as power consumption, hazards, etc). But, I did not ask those questions.

Do you hit the ball off a fixed spot on the mat? I guess that is the only way one can calculate the launch angle.......
    This looks like a more exciting unit that the P3ProSwing or OptiShot.
    I posted a similar question to the seller on ebay, below are his responses.

question: Your older model, the balls had to hit off a tee is that also true with this model?

answer: All of the GolfAchiever systems need to know exactly where the ball is hit from for accurate results. The GA software has the default tee heights and the locations on the hitting mat set but these settings can be changed if it is decided to use use a non-GA hitting mat.

question: Can I purchase the 1595 unit, try to get it working with my current hitting mat and if I cannot, then purchase the GA SIM platform? If so for how much extra?

answer: A Sim platform can be purchased directly from GolfAchiever. Please note the price for the platform set will most likely be more expensive and cost around $1,250 USD.

Quote Originally Posted by cgsgolfer View Post
    I posted a similar question to the seller on ebay, below are his responses.

question: Your older model, the balls had to hit off a tee is that also true with this model?

answer: All of the GolfAchiever systems need to know exactly where the ball is hit from for accurate results. The GA software has the default tee heights and the locations on the hitting mat set but these settings can be changed if it is decided to use use a non-GA hitting mat.

question: Can I purchase the 1595 unit, try to get it working with my current hitting mat and if I cannot, then purchase the GA SIM platform? If so for how much extra?

answer: A Sim platform can be purchased directly from GolfAchiever. Please note the price for the platform set will most likely be more expensive and cost around $1,250 USD.

Good points especially the hazards. Don't think power consumption is an issue as it runs off a step down 12V?? I am torn between the GA-X and the GA-II.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    I don't see how the club data is measured. My guesse is they measure some element of path but estimate the club face from ball direction. Must hav an adjustment factor to increase or decrease the club path measurement and influence spin. Spin is estimated.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    I don't see how the club data is measured. My guesse is they measure some element of path but estimate the club face from ball direction. Must hav an adjustment factor to increase or decrease the club path measurement and influence spin. Spin is estimated.
    I am sure you are correct. In the manufacturer's white paper, the term 'Laser image interpolation' describes the 'Principle of Measure' for the Swing Path, Club Impact Angle, Club head speed and club head impact position. I took that to mean the values were calculated from indirect measurements. Adding to your point, I think the input parameters for the starting ball position impacts the above calculations. Speaking to sales, they did point out that it was critical to correctly set and consistently use those values.

At this point, I'm hoping the 'calculated' values for the club head data are realist and consistent. Reading the threads on the GA seems to give the impression that the unit is accurate. The white paper does claim in writing a degree of accuracy for their values. Hopefully time and experience with the GAII will validate what the paper claims.

Last offseason, I rented sim time at a local club. They had just upgraded their Full Swing sims with ion performance cameras. The upgrade did seem to give consistent path, speed and angle data for the club head. It will be an interesting exercise to gauge the resulting data of the club's sim against the GAII.

I appreciated your information on the ProTee in other threads and realized that consistent club head data was an important feature to look for. I was lucky to budget for a ProTee this offseason but then I saw the price on the GAII and went this route. Hopefully, it will be fun to find out if the decision works out.

I suspect it's accurate. Nothing's perfect but hopefully it's consistent. Keep us posted with pics etc.

Anyone receive one of these? thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconBlooze View Post
    Anyone receive one of these? thoughts?
    GAII unit arrived approximately 2 weeks after payment. I ordered from the manufacturer and was happy about their pre-sales responses and order tracking. I ordered the simulator and the mat platform. The two boxes for the mat platform are heavy but ship via UPS. Assembly and setup was relativity easy. The mat platform securely holds the simulator and out of the box the simulator laser alignment was good to go. I'm using an older PC running ms vista but their software install was easy. Takes a little time to install the necessary runtime environments that they need but I did not have to update any of the security patches. The usb to serial adapter was recognized by plug & play. Base software (practice range) runs fine but I need to upgrade my graphics card to get the simulator software running. Spent a few days hitting off their mat. Similar to my old true strike mat. It is a thick turf but with my elbow tendinitis, I replaced their turf with my older mat which has a spring base. I kept their platform for the simulator assembly since that works well. It took a few days to get the calibration of my mat to match up. You can adjust the xyz coordinates of the starting ball position in the software. I added a couple of laser levels to pinpoint the exact position on my mat since it has a sliding surface. Once this all matched up, I'm comfortable with the resulting club path, face angle and side spin values from the software. I'm still playing with the distance values. The club speed value is correct. I'm getting 75 from the GAII for a 6 iron. This is the same I get from my swing speed radar. The resulting distance of 130 with the GAII differs from the 150 that I get from the last trackman fitting and what I see on the course. After the holidays, I going back to the trackman to see if I can get club and ball speed values for the 150 distance. I'm also going to change out the PC and get the simulator software running. Otherwise, all is going well and I'm happy about the purchase.

cgsgolfer,any update? would love to hear about your owner review of the GAII

For anyone thinking about the GA-X, I have had an email from Kevin at Golf Achiever stating that the North American release has been postponed until at least July of this year.

Yeah I heard the same too. Apparently they have technical issues with the GA-X. A bummer as it is initially priced a couple of hundred cheaper than the GA2. Anyone know what is the best price for the GA2? It has been coming down all of 2014.

BWatt and CGS; I'd be interested to hear your reviews after owning the units for a while!

I sent an email today to ask about some information. I'm a little discouraged that there just isn't a lot of information out there beyond this thread..

I have a P3 I'm about ready to give up on. I got an aftermarket seamless mat, and that seems to have made the readings even more inconsistent than they were before. I finally got up my enclosure and projector, but I'm annoyed that the most important thing - the simulator - isn't working like it should! I'm also considering a skytrak, but I want simulation, and I hate their subscription model... I'm also not crazy about dishing out 2k for courses..

Putter bwatkinson01 is on a distinguished road
    Deacon, when the Skytrak came out and got disappointing reviews I decided to pull the trigger on the GA2 and I’m glad I did. I have the double size mat and it is very sturdy with a thick rubber base to help keep it in place. After my buddies and I hit probably well over a thousand shots off of the mat (this winter), it is showing only the slightest bit of wear. But the good news is that if it does start to wear, I can just change it out with the mat that I’m currently standing on to hit shots as they are interchangeable. The only small complaints that I do have with the mat (I have the double mat with the laser enclosure) is that it’s a little hard and it has a tendency to move just a little bit. The mat sits on pegs that stick up from the rubber base and they probably aren’t as tight as they should be. To fix that I cut down some plastic tees and stuck them around the inside of the holes for the mat and now the mat does not move at all. You also don’t get any of the plastic burn on your irons from this mat either.
    One of the complaints that I had read about with this unit was that you had to re-align the lasers pretty often. The machine came out of the box aligned from GA and I haven’t had to touch it. I did play with it once just to see what it would take to re-align the lasers and it’s really a piece of cake to do. But, like I said I haven’t had to touch them at all and I check them every so often just to make sure that they’re still aligned. It comes with a diagnostic piece of software that checks them in less than a minute.
    As for the accuracy, I’d say that it is pretty darn good. I use the same clubs for the same distances on the sim that I do when I’m on the course. I don’t seem to get the distance with my 3 hybrid for some reason but other than that it’s pretty good. I’m not an expert when it comes to spin rate (and a lot of other things now that I think about it) so I don’t know how accurate that is nor do I have anything to compare it against. But, it’s fun to see it on the screen. It also does a pretty good job of showing your swing path and speed although I don’t have anything to compare those against either. It was showing that I had an out to in swing so I videotaped my swing and sure enough I was coming over the top (that is now corrected).
    Missed swing readings were few and far between. It did a great job of capturing just about any shot and the shots that it did miss were usually bladed (low shots). You have to be careful when taking practice swings because if you swing through the laser grid it will occasionally register that as a shot (just have mulligans turned).
    If you hit into the rough or sand the system will penalize you distance by a percentage of the club that you are hitting based on how bad the lie is (not a big fan of this but it is what it is). The trees on the course are actually there and if you hit one it will bounce in any direction. Chipping and putting are the hardest parts to get used to but that’s probably the case no matter what sim you’re using.
    It doesn’t have online play yet but they say it’s coming (but I wouldn’t hold my breath for it anytime soon). It comes with about 30 courses (don’t remember the exact count) and a driving range along with some long drive competitions and closest to the pin competitions as well. You can also play stroke or match play.
    I’m running the software on a 3 year old Acer V5 laptop running Windows 8 and the there is no delay in the software that I can see. The laptop has a dual core Intel i5 1.7 GHz processor with 6GB of memory and a solid state drive. The graphics card is an Intel HD Graphics 4000.
    All and all I’m happy with my decision. I hope this helps.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconBlooze View Post
    BWatt and CGS; I'd be interested to hear your reviews after owning the units for a while!

I sent an email today to ask about some information. I'm a little discouraged that there just isn't a lot of information out there beyond this thread..

I have a P3 I'm about ready to give up on. I got an aftermarket seamless mat, and that seems to have made the readings even more inconsistent than they were before. I finally got up my enclosure and projector, but I'm annoyed that the most important thing - the simulator - isn't working like it should! I'm also considering a skytrak, but I want simulation, and I hate their subscription model... I'm also not crazy about dishing out 2k for courses..
    Skytrak is coming with different simulation options that everyone will be very happy with. Stay tuned.

Thread Information