100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road

state of the game of golf

I knew the golf industry was struggling but this is an eye opener

http://www.youtube.com/embed/QFEYC4Z...yer_detailpage

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Its a no brainer. This year at least 25% less people on the courses that i have been to.Even the ground crew at a lot of the courses have told me the same. Sign of the times.

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    Here are just some observations and indicators that I have noticed within the last few years that golf is in a bit of trouble in our golfing area:

1. Not that long ago if you didn't make a tee time at your favourite golf course by midweek you would have a tough time playing on the weekend. Now you can pretty much call up any course and get a prime tee time on the same day.

2. To get into a prestigious private club in the National Capital Area you either had to be put on a long waiting list, be sponsored by a member in good standing and be approved by a committee and have fairly deep pockets. Now pretty much all of the private clubs are advertising for members of any age, with tiered rates, giving huge discounts on fees and deferred no interest payments, try before you buy deals etc.

3. Huge advertising on various media sources offering discounted rates, free carts, range balls, 2for1 deals to attract more golfers to their venue.

In my opinion, the owners of golf interests (whether that be course owners, equipment manufacturers etc) are finally realizing that they are facing troubling times and are quickly trying to react to a changing demographic. the question is...is the reaction too late?

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    It is hard to take this report very seriously when it has Mark King as the key proponent of fixing the game, completely ignoring the fact that he is the author of a lot that is wrong with it. TaylorMade pushed the product cycle to an absurdly short duration, pushed for the consolidation of golf equipment sales at big box retailers (at the expense of the green grass shops), and then almost bankrupted (and may still) the biggest golf retailer by flooding them with unsalable product. All in the name of 'progressing the game so it won't die'. Give me a break.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar

History is repeating itself

I don't know if a lot of you fellas are old enough to remember back in the early 70s when the "mass merchandisers" came to town. I was involved in the ski industry then and had been for 10 years. This was the demise of the specialty shops and the introduction of mass merchandising of ski and tennis equipment. Eventually all the small shops were gone---as well as the expertise. The last one was just swallowed up by some outfit in TO and all that will be left is a token name in their new store.

Everything today is run by the bottom line---the almighty $$$$$

The only good thing to come out of this whole thing was that it got rid of all the "junk equipment" that was being sold back then-------and believe me there was a lot.

I am not sure there is any "junk" equipment in golf today but I do question the number of ball manufactures--club manufactures etc. How many ways can you build a ball or a club for 75% of the players that are recreational????

I think as "spackler" eluded----something is about to hit the fan.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    I think the main point of the report was simply that less young people are in the game, and this doesnt bode well for the future. Its hard to deny that growing reality.

If there is less of a crowd to sell to, it reinforces that the TaylorMade approach of short product cycles is a good business strategy - they have to market like crazy to convince the dwindling base to keep buying new stuff. Not the greatest for resales, but they have to sell new stuff to someone. And the junk market is definitely dwindling - the major mfrs are targeting that segment more aggressively.
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

3 Wood THUNDAH is on a distinguished road
    Is it my imagination or is the overall number of users in this forum and the number of replies also on the decline?
    He who hits last, walks alone

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    Thundah...you may be right. Only true hard core golfers will read virtually every post in each forum and bother to voice an opinion. Just like the state of the game.....on a decline

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Unfortunately you are right----especially in the threads that "discuss". There are many long time members that don't post anymore. At the risk of being chastised; it is hard to converse when there is so much censorship (for various reasons). Personally, I am on other forums that do not have these limitations.

I DO see the reasons for some censorship (language--personal bashing) but not all of it.

I am on one forum that has discussed yesterdays tragedy-------------------many great views and not one that has gone off the deep end.

If what you say is the truth---what is the harm---we still have free speech in this country.

I have always said this forum is a great platform---I don't know of any others. I hope it does not die.

Sorry Dan---my honest opinion.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Let's not give up guys...many read although many remain silent.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Thread Information