CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Golfer_LD is on a distinguished road

Desired Dimensions for Basement Indoor Simulator

Hello,

Brand spanking new to the forum and I'm starting off with a question thread.

I am looking at buying a house, currently living in an apt, and one of the things I really want to do is to make up a "Man Cave" basement complete with an indoor simulator. I'm wondering what the dimensions would need to be to have a nice indoor simulator. Especially things like ceiling height and just the total amount of area a simulator setup would take up. I'm 6'1 and I have buddies who are taller than me so I'd definitely want the ceiling high enough to accommodate them as well. Any input would be great. I'm also a beginning club fitter so the plan is to hopefully have this indoor simulator double as an indoor fitting studio.

Sorry if this has already been discussed at length. I browsed the first couple of pages but didn't see anything that popped out as having the answer i was looking for.

Thanks in advance and hopefully all of my future posts won't be to just ask advice.
    Last edited by Golfer_LD; 10-17-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    http://csc.protee-united.com/entries...tor-dimensions

This for full left and right. 14 feet is tight. I've also seen sims in 16x10 right only. Ceiling depends on you. 9.5 is usually plenty.

Putter Golfer_LD is on a distinguished road
    I appreciate it. I'll have to be sure to bring along a tape measure. I may try to find something at least 10 foot high just to ease my mind a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfer_LD View Post
    I appreciate it. I'll have to be sure to bring along a tape measure. I may try to find something at least 10 foot high just to ease my mind a bit.
    When I tested TruGolf, the ceiling was 9'8". The sensor may was 3" think. I'm 6'1". The ceiling was no issue at all.

9 Iron bionicbooger is on a distinguished road bionicbooger's Avatar
    Hi Golfer_LD

Here is a link to a videos page to learn about golf sims. It has a footprint video of a small simulator: http://www.golfsimulatorguys.com/pages/video

Minimums:

Ceiling Height: 9'
    Width (for both right and left handed players to play): 12'
    Depth (varies depending on what you are hitting into but this is about the min): 12'

Hope this helps

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by bionicbooger View Post
    Hi Golfer_LD

Here is a link to a videos page to learn about golf sims. It has a footprint video of a small simulator: http://www.golfsimulatorguys.com/pages/video

Minimums:

Ceiling Height: 9'
    Width (for both right and left handed players to play): 12'
    Depth (varies depending on what you are hitting into but this is about the min): 12'

Hope this helps

These videos are of simulators in an open room. Are you saying if you put walls at 12x12x9 tall, you'd swing a driver without issue?

yep

That will even do lefties or righties. Of course if you are hitting into a net or a screen that backs you up, your depth increases. But as far as height and width all you need is 9' and 12'.

Quote Originally Posted by bionicbooger View Post
    yep

That will even do lefties or righties. Of course if you are hitting into a net or a screen that backs you up, your depth increases. But as far as height and width all you need is 9' and 12'.

Would you be 6 feet from the screen?

Hi mt

Once again, what you are hitting into varies depth. But for argument sake, assume you are hitting into a impact screen with a 1 foot depth. You are fine with 5'6" in front of you and 5'6" behind you. That comes up with 12 foot depth. It isn't hard to experiment. Just grab a tape measure and check for yourself. You don't have to do full swings and damage anything.

At golf simulator guys, we give this 12x9x12 out as a bare minimum to swing left and right handers with just a screen and no enclosure. Since we have an enclosure on some of our products, that backs the distance up to 16'6" of depth required for those products.

Sometimes people come to us with less than 12' of width. In that situation, their sim will be lined up off center of the screen and it will be basically a one sided set up.

Sometimes people come to us with less than 9' ceilings. In that situation, they can't swing their longer clubs.

When depth is limited, we sell them just the screen and screen frame without the enclosure so they can get very close to the screen. When people don't use enclosures to catch stray balls, we recommend that they don't use real balls for obvious reasons.

Thread Information