+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orlando area

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar

Orlando area

Hey fellas---who is heading south this year--------after 10 years in Hilton Head we have decided maybe farther south may be a little warmer----also wifey wants to see "mickey". Me---I'll golf I have already checked out the courses---seem to be lots----anyone have any "must plays" ?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Southern Dunes in Haines City - especially at twilight rates. Top notch golf course and great value for the money.

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    Falcons Fire , Kissimmee area , ask about a short term membership I.e 3 & 7 day membership deals

3 Wood funk-like is on a distinguished road
    Orange County National. 2 great courses, they play the PGA Tour Q school there. Amazing practice facility too. Great place to do 36 holes in one day.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cleek View Post
    Falcons Fire , Kissimmee area , ask about a short term membership I.e 3 & 7 day membership deals
    I am sure lots of folks love this place, but unless you like playing golf at the intersection of 2 major thoroughfares and having helicopters overhead like you were in Vietnam, avoid this place like the plague....It is not relaxing by any stretch of the imagination.

I second Southern Dunes, nice track. Try Bella Collina near Clearmont, its fun and has a cool clubhouse/spa -- take the wife for the day!

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    I am sure lots of folks love this place, but unless you like playing golf at the intersection of 2 major thoroughfares and having helicopters overhead like you were in Vietnam, avoid this place like the plague....It is not relaxing by any stretch of the imagination.

I second Southern Dunes, nice track. Try Bella Collina near Clearmont, its fun and has a cool clubhouse/spa -- take the wife for the day!
    Interesting , I recall a couple of choppers but nothing extreme in the 3 days I played Falcons Fire. The only hassle was they were hosting a SunCoast tour event so we were restricted to afternoon rounds . I have also heard Orange County and S.Dunes are nice tracks. Lots to choose from in the area.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Thanks guys---I'm sure to have a good trip---110 days to go
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar

Champions Gate

Have a stay at Champions Gate Omni hotel and play their two courses. One is a links style and the other a tighter North American style course. They used to play the Father/Son PGA tourney there.

The hotel also has a lit par three course and various pools and water activities as well as a big bonfire pit bar to unwind at the end of the day.

I stayed there twice when ASME used to conduct engineering courses there.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Bogie tigger12 is on a distinguished road
    I stayed in Lake Mary just north of Orlando. The two top courses up there in my opinion are Red Tail and Timacuan. Not the eye candy of some of the courses in the Kissimmee area but great golf. Also golf is half the price or a bit farther north less. If cost is a factor there are some great deals through Golf Now.
    Played Champions Gate and thoroughly enjoyed it but not a better course than the two I mentioned. More pop and grandeur but not better golf.
    I have also played Mystic Dunes and enjoyed it but not enough with all the choices available to go back.
    I plan on going to some of those courses mentioned above this winter.
    Be aware of the traffic around Disney. Especially on the weekend around opening time!
    Enjoy.

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orangeTANG View Post
    Southern Dunes in Haines City - especially at twilight rates. Top notch golf course and great value for the money.
    If you play southern dunes wave as you come up the green on the 4th hole.... that is my winter house. I play the course just about every day. It is in top shape, although be aware that this week they are working on the fairways.

Most of the courses listed are fine; I also like Ridgewood in Davenport, a little less expensive and Diamondback... if you like target golf. I would be remiss if I did not mention Las Colinas and El Campion both are nice tracks north of Orlando.

Have fun.
    Peter

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny D View Post
    If you play southern dunes wave as you come up the green on the 4th hole.... that is my winter house. I play the course just about every day. It is in top shape, although be aware that this week they are working on the fairways.

Most of the courses listed are fine; I also like Ridgewood in Davenport, a little less expensive and Diamondback... if you like target golf. I would be remiss if I did not mention Las Colinas and El Campion both are nice tracks north of Orlando.

Have fun.
    Peter
    Well, I'm jealous! I loved that area and especially Southern Dunes. We also played Ridgewood while we were down there, I think the course would have been fun if it wasn't for the 30mph winds we were playing in. Wasn't a big fan of Diamondback, I found it kind of quirky. I was a bit surprised a few years ago when Golf Fix did a whole season from there, with all the other courses to choose from. If I recall their proshop is a trailer?

Thread Information