CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Sand Wedge 11bravo is on a distinguished road

jagmanjoe optishot cover owners and finding a stance mat

I recently picked up a thicker optishot cover from jagmanjoe, and I'm looking at options for a stance mat. It's pretty thick, I think around 2 1/2 inches total so is there any other options besides buiding the platform with plywood and insulation board?

7 Wood wbond is on a distinguished road
    If you have a current mat, you could put those foam tiles they sell at home improvement stores underneath it. That is what i did to get mine more level with the sensor units. BTW, have you used his cover yet, and if so, do you like it, is it worth getting? I have the P3 and an optishot and was considering getting these.

3 Wood Golfmaxxx is on a distinguished road Golfmaxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wbond View Post
    If you have a current mat, you could put those foam tiles they sell at home improvement stores underneath it. That is what i did to get mine more level with the sensor units. BTW, have you used his cover yet, and if so, do you like it, is it worth getting? I have the P3 and an optishot and was considering getting these.

Hey Wbond, I used the foam panels as well. Since you have both P3 and optishot, can you tell us which one you prefer and why ? Does the P3 have a longer delay after you hit your shot ? Thanks

7 Wood wbond is on a distinguished road
    I will admit my lighting probably does not meet their requirements, but so far I absolutely do not like the optishot. It's currently sitting in a cabinet until i can get my configuration changed. The P3pro was not nearly as finicky with the lighting. Much better readings/results from this. I do believe the p3 may be a little longer delay after a shot, but it still beats just hitting balls into a net.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfmaxxx View Post
    Hey Wbond, I used the foam panels as well. Since you have both P3 and optishot, can you tell us which one you prefer and why ? Does the P3 have a longer delay after you hit your shot ? Thanks

Gap Wedge jackhawk is on a distinguished road
    I have been using jagmanjoe's optishot cover for a couple years now, and it has been absolutely great. Not one complaint. I built a stance mat with plywood and insulation foamboard (I think it is similar to his plan) and it has worked well. The only problems I have had is that the adhesion of the foamboard to the plywood isn't permanent. I used hotglue, but it comes loose occasionally.

5 Iron jagmanjoe is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by wbond View Post
    I can not say how my cover works with golf simulator guys relative to their optishot stance mat but a couple of months ago they purchased my cover for the P3proswing. A couple of weeks later, they said that they really liked my cover for the P3, saying that they have modified the opening on their stance mat for my turf and wanted to use it in conjunction with their mat when selling a complete P3 unit. Guess they were serious since they just ordered another from me. In all honesty, I do not know the details of their stance mat itself but wanted to relay this info.

I don't have a mat yet, I'm still considering a mat vs building a stance platform with his instructions with plywood and insulation board.
    I haven't really been able to hit full shots off it yet but it looks like a big improvement over the stock cover, no issues with reading clubs. If anything, I would think maybe it's too thick because I'm having a hard time finding a mat thick enough to cutout and drop in place.
    I was looking at golfsimulatorguys mats before getting this cover but not thrilled about the price point...

Quote Originally Posted by 11bravo View Post
    I recently picked up a thicker optishot cover from jagmanjoe, and I'm looking at options for a stance mat. It's pretty thick, I think around 2 1/2 inches total so is there any other options besides buiding the platform with plywood and insulation board?
    Stance mats can be great but a couple of things I like to point out about building your own are that with purchasing one, I have heard comments from some that standing on the thicker turfs can have a "squishy" feel as they can have more give than a real fairway. Second, Home Depot and Lowe's have both been willing to cut the plywood and foam to size for customers and then you can cover the top with a turf style material with less compression - indoor/outdoor carpet or if you want to maintain a more finished look, try using the same material offered for putting greens - much less compression.

Pitching Wedge throttle is on a distinguished road
    Here is my setup. I use jagmans top and used some exercise puzzle pieces underneath my stance mat. Use two layers and cut out the top layer for the sensors pad and it lines up really good. Matt is pretty affordable as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...TFB2S45E30C6MG

http://www.allturfmats.com/OptiShot-...-p/utp4860.htm

Thanks for the info throttle, I was wondering how many layers of puzzle piece it would take to level up the stock optishot stance mat to the jag cover. Did you have to modify the cutout to fit the new cover besides cutting the puzzle piece depth? How about a couple pics of your setup? Any slippage with two layers of puzzles underneath?

Technically you only need 1 layer of the exercise mat material to make things match. Just lay the stance mat on top of the exercise mat and trace out the cut out hole to match the stance mat cutout. You can use actual scissors or a carpet knife, the foam material is easy to cut. The Optishot will then sit on the bare floor and you will be at the right height. I use two layers just give more cushion under the sensor unit. I am also in a garage so it helps protect the bottom of the unit.

You actually don't even need to cut it to test it out. Stance mat is 4x5', standard puzzle piece pack is 4x4' (4 - 2x2 pieces). So all you need to do to test is buy two packs, put one 4x4 grid together then take 2- 2x2 pieces and spread them apart so the sensors drops down in between them. There will be some overhang for the test but your just testing it out at this point.

After you are satisfied with how it works you can then add the two pieces into the grid and then trace and cut the cutout an the remaining overhang. I got my exercise matts at Walmart so if it didn't work I could return them.

BTW no slippage either.

Did you use the full jag sensor cover that goes over both sensors? Did it drop right into the all turf mats 4x5 cutout or did you have to allow for a longer opening? Thanks for all your help!

With regard to throttle using the exercise mats, 11bravo, I think that is a good option but if they were to slide at all(as you had concern), a little double sided carpet tape or adhesive backed velcro would probably stop any sliding issues. Also, if anyone would like to see my instructions for the stance platform and those in control of this site do not mind, I would be happy to post the instructions for all to see here -- as far as I know this is the best site going for information about golf simulators and I am happy to add anything I can.

I went with the one that looks like the original. Like this one - http://www.ebay.com/itm/151433233725

9 Iron bionicbooger is on a distinguished road bionicbooger's Avatar
    Here is a link to Golf Simulator Guys mat system. It has a 2" pad with a replaceable tee line turf top. The great thing is that it is a huge 3 piece mat system 4'x10' that is basically a universal mat. If you change simulators, you just change the center section of the mat that is simulator specific, instead of buying a whole new mat system. Right now, they have center sections for OptiShot, P3Proswing, Trugolf and a no cutout mat for launch monitors. It interlocks underneath so they don't come apart. Also, you can use this mat system with their projector box. You can buy it as a 1 sided or 2 sided mat system.

http://www.golfsimulatorguys.com/col...tform-mat-plus

Pitching Wedge DeaconBlooze is on a distinguished road
    I was really intrigued with this mat (but for my P3):

http://shop.virtual-golf-simulator.c...or-LH-1001.htm

It has a seamless design. From what I can gather, instead of setting the sensor into the mat, you place it under.. Looks to be about the best option I can think of. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts?

It would be nice to hear some reviews on both. The price on the golf simulator site one is 200.00 less which is nice...

I personally believe you can do much better in price and have a more realistic stance feel by building your own. I have stated before that a stance platform can easily be made from 2" styrofoam and plywood which Home Depot, Lowe's and others will cut for you at little cost. To achieve the center section that can be replaced a simple mending plate at each end will hold it in place. One big key is having the stance platform slightly higher than the sim section and shim the hitting surface up to be level. Also, often the stance turfs are made of the same material that the hitting surface is. In my opinion that creates a somewhat mushy and unrealistic feel. For the stance portion, if you want a first class finished look, simply cover the stance area with a good putting turf. It does not compress as much when standing/swinging thus providing a feel more like standing on a tee or fairway. For that matter you could use the same material to extend the center section beyond the hitting area out to create more of a putting type surface and even put a small cup near the end of the extension. I have freely shared my plans for building the inexpensive platform with many. For people wanting to have the ability to use the sim for left and right handed players, just have one platform on each side with the section in the center for the sim and putting if wanted. Foam board and plywood certainly no more than $50 and quality putting turf can be had for $2 to $4 a square ft to cover the surface. Depends on how valuable your time is and how much satisfaction you get out of making something like this yourself.

Just my opinion.

Putter Tazzzytazud is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=jagmanjoe;515461]I personally believe you can do much better in price and have a more realistic stance feel by building your own. I have stated before that a stance platform can easily be made from 2" styrofoam and plywood which Home Depot, Lowe's and others will cut for you at little cost. To achieve the center section that can be replaced a simple mending plate at each end will hold it in place. One big key is having the stance platform slightly higher than the sim section and shim the hitting surface up to be level. Also, often the stance turfs are made of the same material that the hitting surface is. In my opinion that creates a somewhat mushy and unrealistic feel. For the stance portion, if you want a first class finished look, simply cover the stance area with a good putting turf. It does not compress as much when standing/swinging thus providing a feel more like standing on a tee or fairway. For that matter you could use the same material to extend the center section beyond the hitting area out to create more of a putting type surface and even put a small cup near the end of the extension. I have freely shared my plans for building the inexpensive platform with many. For people wanting to have the ability to use the sim for left and right handed players, just have one platform on each side with the section in the center for the sim and putting if wanted. Foam board and plywood certainly no more than $50 and quality putting turf can be had for $2 to $4 a square ft to cover the surface. Depends on how valuable your time is and how much satisfaction you get out of making something like this yourself.

Just my opinion.[/QUOT

Ok, I found your instructions. Yesterday I ordered the jagmanjoe xl with matzilla, is there anything I need to do differently for it?
    Last edited by Tazzzytazud; 09-26-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Putter mez6266 is on a distinguished road

DIY Plans for optishot 2 with JAGMANJOE XL Matzilla for OptiShot

Quote Originally Posted by jagmanjoe View Post
    I personally believe you can do much better in price and have a more realistic stance feel by building your own. I have stated before that a stance platform can easily be made from 2" styrofoam and plywood which Home Depot, Lowe's and others will cut for you at little cost. To achieve the center section that can be replaced a simple mending plate at each end will hold it in place. One big key is having the stance platform slightly higher than the sim section and shim the hitting surface up to be level. Also, often the stance turfs are made of the same material that the hitting surface is. In my opinion that creates a somewhat mushy and unrealistic feel. For the stance portion, if you want a first class finished look, simply cover the stance area with a good putting turf. It does not compress as much when standing/swinging thus providing a feel more like standing on a tee or fairway. For that matter you could use the same material to extend the center section beyond the hitting area out to create more of a putting type surface and even put a small cup near the end of the extension. I have freely shared my plans for building the inexpensive platform with many. For people wanting to have the ability to use the sim for left and right handed players, just have one platform on each side with the section in the center for the sim and putting if wanted. Foam board and plywood certainly no more than $50 and quality putting turf can be had for $2 to $4 a square ft to cover the surface. Depends on how valuable your time is and how much satisfaction you get out of making something like this yourself.

Just my opinion.
    I just ordered your JAGMANJOE XL Matzilla for OptiShot & am looking to make a stands mat. I am interested any plans that will work with my setup.

Thanks

Thread Information