CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Ottawa Senators 2014-2015

Cannot believe there is not a thread on this...
    Well, being only a casual follower of the NHL and just a little more so of the Sens, perhaps I'm missing something here, but I don't think that EK (Karlsson) is the right pick for the "C". What's wrong with Phillips? Saw him in an interview yesterday and he looked crushed. He's a grown-up but he has put his heart and soul into this team and deserves to be named. A couple of years ago (or so it seems) EK couldn't even make the team, now "C"? ... don't get it...
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Well, being only a casual follower of the NHL and just a little more so of the Sens, perhaps I'm missing something here, but I don't think that EK (Karlsson) is the right pick for the "C". What's wrong with Phillips? Saw him in an interview yesterday and he looked crushed. He's a grown-up but he has put his heart and soul into this team and deserves to be named. A couple of years ago (or so it seems) EK couldn't even make the team, now "C"? ... don't get it...
    Phillips has 1 maybe 2 years left and then they have to find another captain. This will be their 3rd captail in 3 years - they wanted someone a little more long term. Also, CPis now a 5th or 6th d man, won't be on the ice that much and may even sit out some games. A couple of years ago EK won the Norris. Not sure when it was he couldn't make the team?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    That seems to make sense. Ref EK, seem to recall when he was "new" he was up and down quite a bit, with the media reporting that management felt he was "not there yet". I know he is a "star" and has been a leading scorer for 2-3 seasons, but that has not always translated into the kind of leadership a team needs. If he has a good work ethic and his co-workers see that as leadership then fine. Coming off the Spezza fiasco trade/captaincy, I'm just a little gun-shy on management's ability to guess right.
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Nope. He played 12 games in bingo total. He's gone through a lot in the past 2 years and has come out of it stronger and more mature. It's the right move IMHO
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    I guess your a very casual follower , Karlsson is a Star in this league already , and he's still very young , the face of the Sens franchise for next few years .
    Phillips is way past his prime , great guy for sure , but is on his way out , like Jeffc says they couldn't have given him the C because it would be another captain gone in a matter of a year or two.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see him traded at the deadline , if the Sens don't make it , and I hope that they give him a chance to go get a cup ,if this is the scenario
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    Phillips should be watching from the press box. He's just horrible. Friday's game against the Habs he was on for all 3 MTL goals and looked bad on 2/3.

Karlsson is one of the elite D-men in the league and we are lucky to have him as captain. Time for the youth movement to take over this team.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I missed the sports news last night---who was left off the roster ?? They eluded to a surprise????????????
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    Pageau was sent down. Lazar and Hoffman made it. Methot is still injured. Not sure anything is surprising about any of that though.

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    Glad to see EK get the "C", and getting the deal done with Bobby Ryan was huge. Phillips has been a great member of this team and city for years but IMO him and Cowen are the biggest problems with this team. EK, Cici and sometimes Methot are the only defencmen on this team that should play regular minutes. For this team to do anything they need guys on the backend to step up.
    "If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." Kirk Cobain

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    Senators need Methot back ( no pun ) healthy and signed to an extension. EK is able to play his game with Methot flanking him to defend the odd man rushes. If EK has to focus on defence to help Cowan out it won't bode well for the team.
    Team looked decent game one for the first 30 mins and disorganized defensively for the last half of the game.
    Lazar , Hoffman (full time ) , Borowiecki , Chiasson all good additions , would have liked to have seen Puempel stay , still not sure why they resigned Michalek 3 yrs @ 4 mil per.

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    I know they are pros but that performance last night deserves a bag skate. The Kid line worked hard but other than that a bunch of no shows. With Methot and Borowiecki out there is not much stability on the back end.

Thread Information