CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High Launch

3 Wood boylebj is on a distinguished road boylebj's Avatar

High Launch

I went to look for a new driver and based on my swing speed (80-90 mph), internet search states that I should buy a 12 degree or higher Driver.
    But, when I tested several Drivers at GT, it showed that I have a very high natural launch angle (20 degrees+), high spin rate (3500 +) and swing speed between 80-90 mph.
    They recommended that I purchase an adjustable Driver that will go as low as 8 degrees.
    They said I should tee the ball low and further back in my stance to reduce launch angle and spin.
    This seems contrary to most advice???
    However, I do seem to hit the ball longer with a lower loft. When I do use a higher lofted Driver, I get skyball hits.
    I'm 56 years old and have a Drive range between 175-220 yards using 8 degree Driver.
    Any swing suggestions on reducing Launch angle to 17 degrees, reduce spin rate and gain some yardage????

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    You're only talking about the driver's loft and you have no mention of the shaft. The shaft has as much if not more to do with the launch angle than the face itself does. Face angel helps control spin, after you've found the proper shaft for your swing.

if you're planning on spending the money on a new driver, spend a little bit more and go get properly fitted. it makes a world of difference. If you wait until spring you could even go find a free fitting day at a range or course put on by one of the manufacturers.

I finally got fitted this year for my driver. Its the last of my clubs that I hadn't been fitted for. I ended up with a setup I wouldn't have even tried at a local retail store and now I'm bombing drives, with very little left or right misses. I hit about 6 different configurations with 2 driver heads, and its amazing how subtle changes really affect the flight characteristics. In fact, the very last thing the fitter adjusted was the loft of the club for me.
    Last edited by orangeTANG; 09-30-2014 at 06:12 PM.

3 Wood boylebj is on a distinguished road boylebj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orangeTANG View Post
    You're only talking about the driver face angle and you have no mention of the shaft. The shaft has as much if not more to do with the launch angle than the face itself does. Face angel helps control spin, after you've found the proper shaft for your swing.

if you're planning on spending the money on a new driver, spend a little bit more and go get properly fitted. it makes a world of difference. If you wait until spring you could even go find a free fitting day at a range or course put on by one of the manufacturers.

I finally got fitted this year for my driver. Its the last of my clubs that I hadn't been fitted for. I ended up with a setup I wouldn't have even tried at a local retail store and now I'm bombing drives, with very little left or right misses. I hit about 6 different configurations with 2 driver heads, and its amazing how subtle changes really affect the flight characteristics. In fact, the very last thing the fitter adjusted was the loft of the club for me.
    Where did you get fitted?

I got fitted by Titleist earlier this spring at the 19th Tee and the Marshes but that's because I had looked at a bunch of driver profiles and I liked the pear-shaped look of the Titleist so I knew that was the brand (not the model) I was going to get (before i was a long time TaylorMade guy). If you are open to trying different clubs to see what suits you best a fitter like Kevin Haimes would be great as they have most branded fitting carts available. Gregg and Joe can fit you for Callaway, and maybe Titleist at the 19th tee.

If you are really open to branding I would strongly suggest going to visit Don at Artisan golf in Kanata. He is a master club builder and has even designed driver heads for various club component companies. Guaranteed he can match you with the best setup for your swing.

Pitching Wedge Big Juicy is on a distinguished road Big Juicy's Avatar
    Your natural high launch is probably due to your wrist angles at impact. If you release them to early in the downswing you end up with a bent lead wrist at impact which can add lots of height to your shots. You may want to take lesson before the fitting, just a suggestion.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by orangeTANG View Post
    You're only talking about the driver face angle and you have no mention of the shaft. The shaft has as much if not more to do with the launch angle than the face itself does. Face angel helps control spin, after you've found the proper shaft for your swing.

I would highly recommend that you get your facts straight before even attempting to answer any technical questions.

The poster is referring to the club's loft angle not face angle. Face angle of the club face is either square, open or closed to the target line at address. It is one of the major fitting parameters when getting properly fitted for a driver. An adjustable driver virtually eliminates face angle as a benefit because the only way these drivers can be adjusted for loft is by changing the face angle witch is counter productive. What good is it to increase your loft by, let's say 1.5* if, at the same time you are opening the face angle by the same amount ?

Face angle has very little if any affect on back spin. Loft angle and angle of attack witch = launch angle have everything to do with spin as well as swing speed and where the ball makes contact on the face.

At the swing speed indicated by the poster, if he is within a reasonable grouping of what he should be using for a shaft, then the shaft has nothing more than a mouse fart of effect on launch angle.

Also,3,500 rpm's is not considered a high spin rate at that swingspeed. In fact, something is not right if you are getting that high a launch angle with only that much spin.

My 11 yr. old has an 78 mph swing speed, uses a 13* (measured ) head, 1* closed, 42'' long Aldila NVS 55 "L" tipped 1" with about 3800 rpm backspin and a launch angle of 16*,average carry of 185+ yards. He hits it the middle of the face, witch makes a big difference in the numbers you get on the launch monitor.

I mistakenly referred to loft as the drivers face angle. I wasn't speaking to whether to driver was open or closed at address, but the loft of the driver head itself. I've corrected it in my post above.

I'm confused whether that is the fact I need to get straight or if you are referring to or my entire post. Are you saying that a shaft has little to no effect on launch angle? I'm asking a serious question here, not trying to be smart.

Yes, that is what I am saying. Shaft effect on ball trajectory is minimal at swingspeeds bellow 95 ish mph, depending on how forceful the transition move is and the angle of attack.

Golfers with high swingspeeds and late wrist angle releases will experience more launch angle from the shafts. Even at that, we are talking, depending on the individual, 1.5* max, generated by the shaft.

Sorry, that's what the laws of physics say.

I had to leave before I could finish my reply.

Most OEM drivers that have stamped 12 or more deg. of loft on them pretty well all come with a very soft stock shaft. That 12* is more like 14* and is being marketed for swingspeeds in the 60 to 70 range. Good luck finding a driver in a store with 12+ deg with a shaft that is designed for stronger players.

I use a 12* head with an "R" flex Matrix Studio 74 shaft tipped 1.5'' with a swingspeed of 95 mph. My launch angle is about 10.5*. It's a swing issue that is preventing me from launching it higher, not the equipment.

If I did not tip the shaft, I would have control problems. If I used a stiffer overall shaft, I could not stand the feel and lack of feedback not to mention it also made me swing harder to get feedback and distance witch is totally the wrong thing to do.

A lot of fitting to establish this combination.

By the way, I am also 56 yrs. old

Cheers

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    [QUOTE=boylebj;513893].
    They recommended that I purchase an adjustable Driver that will go as low as 8 degrees.

I'm 56 years old and have a Drive range between 175-220 yards using 8 degree Driver.
    QUOTE]

Go with what works if you are not going to change your swing. I am surprised that GT does not carry non adjustable drivers with just 9 degrees of loft. I've copied some info from a Ralph Maltby article which should shed some light:
    http://www.ralphmaltby.com/357

The first reason is that manufacturers vary in the method and way they measure driver loft. The second reason is that some manufacturers simply put a loft number on the driver head because it is a very popular loft with driver buyers; but they want you in a different loft that they feel works better with their driver. The third reason is that manufacturing tolerances for loft, even from the very best head manufacturing companies overseas, will be plus or minus 1 degree from the specification. The fourth reason is the amount of vertical face roll that is specified. Since most modern 460cc drivers are actually hit above face center, a driver with more vertical face curvature will have a greater loft at impact than a driver with less vertical face curvature. I threw in vertical face roll since it is “real world” with modern drivers but it has no effect on the stated or measured loft which is always measured at ˝ the vertical face height.

The above reasons are why it is so important to get fit in a launch monitor or to actually see the ball flight on a driving range or the golf course.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Big Juicy View Post
    Your natural high launch is probably due to your wrist angles at impact. If you release them to early in the downswing you end up with a bent lead wrist at impact which can add lots of height to your shots. You may want to take lesson before the fitting, just a suggestion.
    More commonly known as a "flipper " in fitting jargon. If you are a flipper, it is almost impossble to fit you.

BJ is correct in his assessment, Take some lessons.

Thread Information