CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Casselview Changes

Played here today and some changes since I last played a few weeks ago. New #14 up and running. Two sets of tees, Whites were either 139 or 168. Has a nice look to it and green is good size but lots of hills and valleys. As we were between #8 and #9 Marshal approached and spoke to my playing partner. Apparently they are "trying out" a change that has you play #1-9 as per usual then go to #15-18, 10-14. Not sure why the change. Find ending on a par 3 (old/new #14) and then a good hike back to the club house not the way I want to end my round. Thought they would survey us at the club house but nada mentioned.
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I hear you Bruce
    Any mention when they would be punching the greens?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    I hear you Bruce
    Any mention when they would be punching the greens?
    As I recall most were done already, and did not seem to have any impact. Cut close and rolling well.

Lob Wedge Casselview is on a distinguished road
    Thank you for your comments! We are very proud of new no 14 design; comments have been extremely positive. For a very short period, we are changing how the back nine is being played in order to get feedback and to showcase new no 14.
    Golfers checking in the Proshop are:
    - explained how the back nine is being played;
    - informed that new no 14 is now open with 2 sets of white tees to choose from;
    - welcomed to come back after their round to give us their comments.
    Is it highly unlikely that our great layout will be changed since no 17 and 18 are fantastic Par 4 finishing holes. Enjoy!

Claude & Daniel Leclair
    Owners

Casselview, thanks for the info. I'm guessing since this is new that's why we had a visit from the Marshal. Changes, temp or otherwise will not deter me from a return though as Casselview is one of my favourite courses period.
    Since I've got your attention I'd like to make a comment, purely self-serving. I hit a "career" drive on #18 (not new #14), long and straight and found myself in uncharted territory, in the middle of the fairway looking down on the green. What a view, except that there is a rather severe gully running diagonally across it. Now drainage is, I think, one of the positives at Casselview, but my shot value was diminished by rolling to the bottom of the gully. I consider this a risk/reward hole and would not change much but it would be better, IMHO, if that landing area was a little more forgiving, i.e. flatter, while retaining the slope for drainage... Just a thought, keep up the good work.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Hey Bruce---the solution---layup !!!
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Hey Bruce---the solution---layup !!!
    bm: since you and I are the same generation this will mean more to you than most who post here... "Oh, you're a riot, Alice! A real riot!"

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Played Casselview today to check it out. I always liked this course and played it many times a year when I was an RM member, but haven't been there since I joined Metcalfe two years ago. Course conditions were great as usual. Even with the rain yesterday there was very little casual water on the course and most of it was in the bunkers.

I liked the new 14th hole. I've seen people put balls on the road or slice them to the 9th fairway before, so the change is certainly safer. Plus I don't like blind shots, especially to a green that was 30 yards long on a course that doesn't use the coloured flag system. As a par-3 it is now a good challenge with the creek in front and bunker on the right, with a very undulating green.

I also liked the changes to the 11th hole - the white tees are now back where the blues used to be and they've made it a short par-5. The change in tee boxes makes it difficult to carry the trees on the left and the fairway bunker is definitely in play now. With a good drive you could go for it in two, but it is a narrow green with water on the right so you better make a good shot.

As for the experiment in the routing, I have no problems with it. Finishing on a par-3 doesn't bother me - there are a few courses that do it. The parking lot was about the same distance away as at Metcalfe, so that wasn't a big deal for me either. I know that courses traditionally like to finish with a "tough" hole (and the 18th certainly qualifies), but there is something to be said for walking off the course with a par or two at the end of the round. Plus I've always hated the 15th hole with its tiny, elevated, turtle-back green - so I think getting it out of the way earlier in the round is a good thing. So I'm OK with it either way.

Thread Information