+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Davis is on a distinguished road

Uk Simulator Build - Advice Needed

Hi all,

This is my first post to this forum but I have been in the background for a while! I've been doing alot of research and reading alot of your comments and opinions on various simulator setups. I am based in the UK so I know obtaining certain items maybe a bit more tricky... but here it goes...

I am turning the garage into a game room, mainly for a golf simulator. ;-) It will turn from a cold damp garage into a warm insulated room which will be plastered and painted with flooring etc... you get the idea... I've attached some drawings of my layout and you will notice that space is a bit limited so I have to use the space to its optimum.

I will be building a frame for an impact screen from conduit and connectors from my local DIY store... I don't see this as being a problem. I have decided on an impact screen and installing foam behind the screen to the wall just to soften the blow of a real golf ball. ( I know this is what the screen does but I just wanted extra security ). The frame is going to be around 300mm deep to allow for the impact of the ball.

So, my first issue is...

1. What size screen to purchase and where do I buy this from? The area I have to work with is 2260mm (7.4" feet) in width and 2400mm (7.8" feet) in height. Also do I need to request it slightly longer to wrap around the frame edging to allow the bunges to attach to it? also i'd like the net weighted at the bottom slightly... what impact screens are highly rated and also easy to ship to the UK?

2. I was planning on using a 4:3 ratio short throw projector with the screen but to completely fill the width of the screen, however with the dimensions above at the ratio of 4:3 means my actual height of the visable screen will be around 1725mm ( 5.6" feet ) which is way too low... is there any way to completely fill the screen and not have areas of blank edges around the top or sides. I know my screen size will need to change but just need some advice. I do maybe have an extra 400mm (1.3" feet ) to play with on the width. Or is the 4:3 ratio not the best option?

3. Due to the garage just being around 5.5meters in length I was planning on having the projector around 4meters from the screen. Therefore I would need to be standing closer than this to swing my clubs, I do not want to damage the projector with a rouge golf ball flying back. What would be a recommended distance for standing and striking golf balls taking into account the height of the ceiling? Or would the projector be best mounted to the side? (Note: I am having the garage trusses raised to allow for my driver to be used)

4. I am planning on using the Optishot to start off with and then maybe upgarde in the future. Are there any touch screens on the market to work alongside this? or anyone that has used one which are recommended? I have used a simulator in the UK which has this and is something I which to incorporate!

5. As you can see from the picture I have visualised curtains to stop the stray golf ball here and there. Are there any cheap ways in which to do this? I was thinking along a roof rail so they are retractable... are standard curtains frowned upon? Would they need to be attached to the floor in a similar manner once hung?

I was with the mindset of having the optishot all built into the floor and having it at one level but also having it so it can be hidden... as the dogs and children will be in the room at times. I do not want to risk damage to sensors etc. I have seen a simulator which is folding up oh hinges... has anyone else done similar things? the floor leading up to the screen will be a carpet and also surrounding walls will also be similar just in varying colours, maybe even slightly padded.

I will research projectors closer to the time... the build will be starting soon and I just need to get the location of this sorted to have all wiring setup etc... I think thats it for now. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated, my main concern at the moment is the impact screen and getting the best size to the area I am working with.

Thanks
    Matt
    Attached Images

Thread Information