100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge dynax9xi is on a distinguished road

Accusport Vector Pro, how to improve microphone for better trigger?

Hi Guys,

I have a “new” old Vector Pro (with manual lens) in a very well light controlled indoor environment. The problem that I have with the unit is with its microphone.
    The software vector pro 2.11 strongly recommend using the default sensitivity (in advanced mode) setting. For me that seems to work only around 5% of the time with iron. I also tried a few other non-default settings and didn't have any more luck.

What can I do to improve microphone sensitivity? Does anyone “hack” vector pro so that we can use something else to trigger the unit (such as using an IR trigger)? How about just replace the microphone with something else better?

I didn't try the driver yet (I am a new player and just getting lesson on iron so far).

Thanks

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    Hi!
    Accusport online support suggested just tapping the Vector Pro with a pen to cause it to "trigger"... You might want to try this to check the sensitivity in general.

Hi,

Yes, the unit pass the pen test no problem. At the end, everything works fine.

Thank you
    Last edited by dynax9xi; 09-11-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    Do make sure you have the unit level with your hitting mat even if you need a separate box made to sit the Vector on. Having it lower will not read right and give the wrong LA.

Thanks SFR.

At the end, I got it to work properly (level and same height as my hitting mat).

I also opened up the unit to poke around. I didn't like the mic design so much. Next year I'll modify the trigger mic next year when I need it to trigger wedges. My options are IR trigger, or just getting an external directional mic. With a lot of luck, I may be able to use the optishot to trigger the vector pro.

Thank you everyone for their help.

5 Iron skyeoh is on a distinguished road
    Dynax9xi, so what was wrong that caused it not to trigger?

It's user error on my part. I have the unit sit too low ~1.5" below the hitting mat + I only use 1/4 to 1/2 swing to test the unit. Having the unit at the same level of my hitting mat + stronger swing fix the triggering issue.

Lob Wedge jacksonlui is on a distinguished road
    I'm interested in any microphone hacks. It would be ideal to position a microphone at the hitting area. A microphone that's directional will allow for a more precise trigger. Has anyone tried this?

5 Iron skyeoh is on a distinguished road
    I believe you can hack it. just pop open the LM and extend the mic closer to the mat.
    Just remember there are a couple of hidden screws under the cable sticker and LM handle.

While you are doing that you might want to also swap out the old battery with new cells.

Have fun!

Putter Paulz is on a distinguished road
    saw an amplifier for travel guide, had a small mike, then a cord to a speaker around waist 29$ Might try that or something simular to trigger chips.

robert_mn
    Hello,
    I am also having an issue with my Accusport Vector Pro detecting irons and wedge shots.
    Hitting balls with a driver on a tee works perfectly (actually 90%) so i tried adjusting the height of the mat for irons with no luck.
    I also tried to add a straight piece of tubing from the microphone to the ball to try to "funnel" the sound. Nothing.
    Next I tried a dictation microphone to amplify the sound of a lightly hit wedge. This did not work.
    Then, being an engineer, I placed the speaker of a kids piano on the Accusport microphone and hit each key note of the piano.
    None of the keys triggered the Accusport. Snapping your fingers hard AND quickly DOES trigger the mic.
    Note: My Vector does have the advanced sensitivity settings which some Vector's do not have.
    I also adjusted the advanced mode sensitivity for all of the above with no better results.

So I have these questions.
    1. How can I integrate another type of trigger such as an Optishot IR trigger or anyone have a home-grown circuit?
    2. What are the 2 extra USB ports for on the Accusport Vector Pro manual lenses? The manual doesn't mention them.
    3. Has anyone moved their mic externally and had better results with wedges and irons?
    4. Could I sprinkle gunpowder on the ball to set off a loud bang - ok just kidding!

I live in MInnesota and can only play 6 months per year and my ceilings are too low for the driver I mentioned so any help would really get me through winter
    Thanks

Lob Wedge jacksonlui is on a distinguished road
    I'm guessing that the microphone only picks up on certain frequencies and amplitude. I don't see why relocating the microphone closer to your ball wouldn't work. If you're good at soldering, you can do this easily. It's a cheap $1.50 omnidirectional condenser microphone. If you extend it and stick it next to your hitting area you can capture softer chip shots. Currently the Vector Pro is still the best bang for the buck. I'm using a Skytrak right now and the software is no where close to the maturity of the Vector Pro.

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    You don't need to adjust the height of the ball or unit, it is designed, and works, when used to measure shots hit from the ground or on a tee.
    Have you tried the "pen test" for mic sensitivity?
    Does your software have the option of selecting the "delay" - you adjust for driver and irons since the ball speed varies for each?
    Unless your unit is defective, I doubt that there is a need for external triggering.

Thread Information