100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge 11bravo is on a distinguished road

BenQ short throw projector options? 720p or 1080p native?

I'm looking for ideas on short throw projectors. This is going to be dedicated only to using the optishot. The kids have a home theater/gaming in the basement so I'm not looking to use it for movies, 3d, or gaming.

I haven't determined a screen size, just deciding on going with a 720p projector to save some money over getting a full 1080p if I'll it's going to be used for is optishot...
    Last edited by 11bravo; 09-07-2014 at 04:52 PM.

Lob Wedge dynax9xi is on a distinguished road
    Hi,
    I don’t know much about a particular BenQ short throw projector. I can share with you my experience.

When I setup my room, I used an Epson 8350 (because it’s just something I have laying around , I also have 2 others projectors to choose from, both are DLP). It turns about the Epson was the best fit got me because it’s an LCD with a significant amount of lens shift. I mounted the projector off to the side about 12 feet or so from the screen (the DLP projectors will need to be near the middle of the screen).
    I didn’t use the native 1080p with a wide screen. Because the screen is so tall (10 feet), filling it with a wide screen leaves a significant gap at the top/bottom of the screen so the I had to look straight or slight down after a hit, not looking up like I should be doing. I ended up filling the screen with a 4:3 ratio defeating the 1080p purpose. IMO, there’s no need for 1080p to use with Optishot.

The problem I ran into is that my projector can’t use 4:3 ratio with HDMI as an input. I had to convert hdmi to component via a adapter. My laptop does not have VGA out.

I recommend a tall screen, 10feet or so (as tall if possible) with a 4:3 ratio.

Lob Wedge Mookie17 is on a distinguished road Mookie17's Avatar
    Just purchased a Benq mx813st projector for the exact same purpose. Got it at memory exchange in Alberta, live in Niagara area, $449.00 good deal. It's 720p which is not an issue as I'll be using a 4:3 aspect ratio anyway. Good luch on your purchase.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    Was the name of the store Memory Exchange or Memory Express? I use Memory Express which does have some deals on projectors and is who I got to build mt computer, these guys are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dax View Post
    Was the name of the store Memory Exchange or Memory Express? I use Memory Express which does have some deals on projectors and is who I got to build mt computer, these guys are very good.
    Sorry Dax, you are correct Memory Express. I'm in the process of putting my own simulator / garage setup together. I'll post picks when I'm done.

Pitching Wedge throttle is on a distinguished road
    I have a 10'x10' screen and use an Epson 730HD. I does 16:10 which is a happy medium between 16:9 and 4x3. Works great for me and fills most of the screen except for a little off the top and bottom. You might want to look into using 16:10.

Pitching Wedge DeaconBlooze is on a distinguished road
    That Epson looks appealing.. It doesn't note that it's a short throw, I'm guessing that means it isn't? How far back from the screen is yours mounted?

I'm pretty green when it comes to projectors. I like the idea of filling more of the screen, so I guess I'm looking for something 4:3 to fill more of what will be my 10x10 screen. I guess I will need a short throw to get the image right from about 10' back?

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    This is the definitive resource for projectors: http://www.projectorcentral.com/

Find your projector and then go to the section (Throw Distance) where you can calculate how far the projector has to be for a particular size screen / image.

4 Iron madspeed is on a distinguished road
    Just scored an epson 730hd for $230! Stoked to finish my sim finally

I recently finished my garage setup and i've noticed a few things. I have a Benq mx813st projector, my celing hieght is only 8'6" in a 20'X20' garage. This limited me on my screen size. I went with a 8'X8' screen, unfortunately this means that my projector is only 4'6" away from the screen and recommends on 9% ambient light, this has caused me a few issues with correct lighting for my Optishot but I'm working on it. On the up side with a 4:3 aspect ratio my entire screen is almost filled, picture and it's next to my beer fridge, no more waiting for the beer girl to come by) Cheers.
    AJA is correct about projector central, great resource.

4 Iron madspeed is on a distinguished road
    close beer is good, but so is watching a beer chic!

Sand Wedge Shine is on a distinguished road
    The last part of my home simulator marathon is selecting the projector. My room is 14'W - 25'10"L - 9'8"H. I bought the GC2 and plan to set it 12' in front of a 12' x 9' screen. I would like to hit from 11' to 12'. How far back are you from the screen when you are hitting and where did you install the projector? It would be nice to fill as much of the screen as practical using a ceiling mounted projector. Thoughts please!

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    My ball is placed 10 feet away from the screen and my projector is 14 feet.

Sand Wedge Shine is on a distinguished road
    Do you get any shadowing?

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    No. None

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    12 x 9 screen with projector mounted at 8 feet 2 inches. Screen completely filled by image.

Hitting from 11 feet.

Absolutely no shadow.

Thread Information