100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

3 Ottawa Courses in Top 100

The Globe and Mail put out a list of Canada's top 100 public and resort courses. Courses were ranked by 135 panelists (low to high handicappers) using a 100 point checkist in 4 catgories (condition, design, enjoyability, service/amenites). We have 3 of them.

Eagle Creek - #17
    The Marshes - #45
    Loch March - #92

BTW - For a drive of 1 - 1.5 hours, Montebello and Tremblant have 5 in the rankings.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I can understand Eagle Creek & Marshes being in the top 100, but Loch March?

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar

Loch March

Likely stronger in the price and customer services dept..

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Absolutely Loch March. For pure shot value, that course will make you use every club in your bag. The conditions are always A-1, and the service is great.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Absolutely Loch March. For pure shot value, that course will make you use every club in your bag. The conditions are always A-1, and the service is great.
    I agree with you about the service, but I disagree with you regarding the conditioning and course design. I'm not saying it's not a good course, it just surprises me that it would be ranked in the top 100 in the country.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    where's the link to the list?

6 Iron Gopherhomes is on a distinguished road
    If Loch March... Then Stonebridge? At least you would think so.

"Richard"
    stonebridge got robbed

jeffc - The list is in a magazine insert in today's Globe and Mail. I don't know if it's available on-line.

Gopherhomes & thotho - My guess is that there's a number of factors in play re Stonebridge. There's the private, not private thing that's been going on for the last few years. They only rated public and resort courses. But from what I can see, IMHO, is that Stonebridge a) did not have a fully functional clubhouse until late last year. So service/amenities-wise they would have scored really low, and b) even though the course has 4 sets of tees it cannot be set up to be playable for the average golfer because of the fescue and the severe greens.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Loch March? Please! Not that it is terrible, but in the top 100? Mind you, these lists are tough to do and once you get out of the top 50 everyone has an opinion. However, if Stonebridge does not replace it next year (now that there is a clubhouse), then that would be something to really wonder about.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    What I can't beleive is that Furry Creek in BC is below Loch March. Now that's an injustice!

BTW, here's a link http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...eRequested=all
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    duh
    thanks dave
    mine went somewhere else??
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I just clicked on it, and it went to the listing. It's more of a description of each course, but it's there.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

2 Iron guyfrompei is on a distinguished road guyfrompei's Avatar
    Wow, 9 courses from PEI made the list this year! It's not hard to believe Crowbush is in the top 7. I recommend anyone going to PEI to play Crowbush and Dundarave if you're going to play anything. And besides, Crowbush isn't gonna be around forever as it seems every year we lose a bit of the course to erosion and storm surge.

ya, Loch March should not be there.....I'm assuming that in includes private clubs since Clublink courses are on there.....really, Loch March ahead of Royal Ottawa or Hunt Club? Ever played Galt CC? Westmount? Deer Ridge in the Kitchener area? All way ahead of Grey Silo and Rebel Creek (by a longshot). They must rotate these around since Westmount and Deer Ridge were on there last year.

2 Iron guyfrompei is on a distinguished road guyfrompei's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm not too sure about that list either. A few of those courses from PEI should not be on there, and I'm not too sure about LM either. Either way, congrats to all the Ottawa Clubs that are listed. That's always a nice boost.

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    ... Loch March ahead of Royal Ottawa or Hunt Club?
    The ratings are for public courses only.

Quote Originally Posted by guyfrompei
    Wow, 9 courses from PEI made the list this year! It's not hard to believe Crowbush is in the top 7. I recommend anyone going to PEI to play Crowbush and Dundarave if you're going to play anything. And besides, Crowbush isn't gonna be around forever as it seems every year we lose a bit of the course to erosion and storm surge.
    Actually 10.

Along with a couple of others on the list, I have played Dundarave and agree with you that it is worth playing.

how do clublink courses get on then?

Quote Originally Posted by jmr73
    The ratings are for public courses only.
    so how do clublink courses get on there? other than Glen Abbey I can't play Le Maitre? (or a few others)

BTW I've played:

Le Geant
    Le Diable
    Whistle Bear
    Grey Silo
    Rebel Creek
    Whistler GC
    Eagle Creek
    Loch March
    Marshes
    Glen Abbey
    Nobleton Lakes

ya, Loch March should not be there.....I'm assuming that in includes private clubs since Clublink courses are on there.....really, Loch March ahead of Royal Ottawa or Hunt Club? Ever played Galt CC? Westmount? Deer Ridge in the Kitchener area? All way ahead of Grey Silo and Rebel Creek (by a longshot). They must rotate these around since Westmount and Deer Ridge were on there last year.
    Not all Clublink courses are private. Glen Abbey for example.

I can't believe the number of Loch March haters out there. Too bad. Oh well, more tee times for me, and I'll be a better all-around player for playing there, that's for sure.

so how do clublink courses get on there? other than Glen Abbey I can't play Le Maitre? (or a few others)

BTW I've played:

Le Geant
    Le Diable
    Whistle Bear
    Grey Silo
    Rebel Creek
    Whistler GC
    Eagle Creek
    Loch March
    Marshes
    Glen Abbey
    Nobleton Lakes
    Le Maitre is a resort course.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    ya i don't know who decides on the rankings but they have to be tweaked. Loch March has no place in the top 150 and a course like Deer Ridge i would put up there with or better than the top 20.

Congrats to Eagle Creek, its a great course and deserves the high praise, i went out there today and it was in great shape, but for some reason our group was one of the only groups there!!! Anyway, it deserves a top 20 no doubt

The clublink ones are the resort courses. You can play them if you stay there.

I've played:

Le Geant
    Le Diable
    La bete
    Eagle Creek
    Glen Abbey
    Crowbush
    Mill River
    Dundarave
    Green Gables
    Stanhope (not sure how it got on the list)
    Montebello

Will be playing Grandview, Rocky Crest, National Pines, and le Maitre this year.

BTW I've played:

Le Geant
    Le Diable
    Whistle Bear
    Grey Silo
    Rebel Creek
    Whistler GC
    Eagle Creek
    Loch March
    Marshes
    Glen Abbey
    Nobleton Lakes

Weekend Hacker Steelhead is on a distinguished road Steelhead's Avatar
    I would've thaught that Marshes would have been ahead of Eagle Creek. I found that Eagle creek is not as great of shape as it used to be 4-5 years ago.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhead
    I would've thaught that Marshes would have been ahead of Eagle Creek. I found that Eagle creek is not as great of shape as it used to be 4-5 years ago.
    Put The Marshes in the same surroundings as Eagle Creek and it probably does rank higher. The major drawback is that it's set in amongst office buildings. Not very picturesque IMO.

"Richard"
    Wow, thats awesome. All the top courses in the world are all in canada... who would have thunk it!!!!

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Wow, thats awesome. All the top courses in the world are all in canada... who would have thunk it!!!!
    huh???

"Richard"
    yeah, that list of all the top couses in the world... THEY ARE ALL IN CANADA. I had no clue canada had such awesome couses.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    stonebridge got robbed
    Dunno about that. Stonebridge has "thrown off" a lot of "public golfers" with the greens conditions and pin positions they sometimes put up. This forum has had TONS of chatter about that in the past...

I'm not for a moment suggesting Stonebridge is better or worse than Loch March, but I've heard people talk good and bad about both, usually depending on their prefered layout style.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    yeah, that list of all the top couses in the world... THEY ARE ALL IN CANADA. I had no clue canada had such awesome couses.
    That's just for WINTER golf....

dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Thread Information