100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    7 Iron Yongchai is on a distinguished road

Foresight FSX - alpha review

Yes, this is a review of the alpha version, not the full release or beta version... alpha. (I hope its alpha, i don't know what the developers are calling it)

With that introduction, i hope you're expecting a bare bones kind of simulator because as currently released thats exactly what it is now.

FSX has 2 modules, 'fit' and 'compete'. 'Fit' is basically a driving range and 'compete' is a skill challenge game. And when i say 2 modules, i mean 2 separate applications, as in 2 desktop clickable icons.

My first thought was 'Yay! 2 applications, maybe that means that i can run both applications in windows mode, ie. Run a simulator program up on the projector screen, and run the 'fit' module on a desktop monitor to collect my data as i play!" But no, it doesn't work that way. For some reason, if one application is running, the gc2 is linked to that module and it can't share its data with another program. (Tried it with the 2 modules and Creative demo and all the programs don't recognize the gc2 if it is already paired with one program). This is a shame really and it shouldn't pose any technical difficulty as the gc2 is already capable of sharing it data with the Creative software and the ipad app (though through bluetooth)

*Note to developers - allow gc2 to share its data with however many applications is running.

The 'Fit' module review

Upon first starting the program, you are required create a user profile. No problem there. A user profile allows the program to keep all the data from different players separate and remember it for future sessions. The problem is that the user profile is an online user profile requiring you to login every single time.

This seems to be a fiasco like simcity and diablo in the making (if you are not a pc gamer, you might not get the reference). Those games at least have the bad excuse of using the online requirement as a form of DRM, but considering FSX already requires a dongle to run, i don't know why the developers feel like they need to use an online DRM (They say its for cloud capabilities but it feels like DRM).

I don't know about you, but when i'm practicing alone, i do not wish to have to log-in to an online server everytime. Right now i'm running a wifi repeater to my sports room, but i'm sure not everyone might have a signal strong enough running to their basement/garage/golf room etc. What happens when my internet goes down? What happens when foresight goes bankrupt and take their servers offline? It means you can't log in and if you can't log in, none of your previous data is accessible and none of your data can be saved.

*buyer beware - if you do not have an internet connection, you can't log in and the program's functionalities will be severely limited.

They have a guest mode that does not require logging in. However, it doesn't save any data created during that session unless you export it out and i'm not a guest... Requiring users to be online is ok for online activities like competing over the internet ie. 'compete', but not for basic functionality that is practicing alone on the driving range.

*note to developers - remove online requirement for basic functionality

When i mentioned logging in every single time, i literally meant that as well. The program does not remember you as a user so you have to re-type your email and password every single time you start up (better get a short email address and password). I will put this inability to remember your profile down as FSX still being in the alpha stage. Also attributed to the alpha stage, the program not saving any of your data locally, saving to the cloud? Pish... Currently if you want to keep your data, you have to export it to another file.

*note to developers - fix local data save

'Fit' integrates video camera data 'Fit' only accepts video data from its own line of proprietary ($$$) cameras ;( So if you are using a Playstation eye or any other camera for that matter, you are out of luck. It's not so bad as free programs like kinovea exists, but Foresight seems to lord it over you by bringing you to the video analysis page first whenever you want to review your swing data. The page is just a big blank in the bottom left portion where the video is supposed to be on the screen and you have to click out to another tab to get your swing data. Same thing with 'club' data. If you do not have the hmt, the tab sticks out like a sore thumb. I would rather they just hide those tabs which users can't use rather than leave it there silently mocking you.

*Note to developers - allow 'fit' to access other video data. And please don't say its to maintain high quality standards, because i have seen the demo on youtube http://youtu.be/dvuPL1zRpY4 and the image quality i get with the playstation eye seems comparable.

There are a fair bit of viewing options split between camera position and tracking, but i think the only 2 camera positions that are of any use are 'start' and 'ball'. 'Start' shows you the view as you would in first person and 'ball' follows the ball. If you set camera position at 'start' and ball tracking to 'exact' in the viewing options, the camera shift is vertigo inducing as the camera tries to track the ball during initial flight. Setting it to 'catch-up' is a more pleasant viewing experience where you get to see the ball flight but you don't get to see how close your ball ends up as you are still at the start position. For the 'ball' camera position, you are robbed of all ball flight visual data as you follow the ball (zoomed in too closely) and lose reference points to determine how high the ball started out and how high it is going. I would much prefer a hybrid of both camera positions, where the viewing begins at the 'start' position so you see how high the ball starts off and its peak height, and after peak height, the camera position switches to 'ball' to follow the ball as it tracks towards the flag. Right now you have to choose between the 2 and its a shame.

*note to developers - fix camera tracking to be more useful

Other minor quibbles.

Selection of clubs should be in main view. There are only 14 clubs allowed in the golf bag. it doesn't take alot of real estate to display all of them on the hitting screen for easy access. Or use a rolodex system to save space but still allow easy access.

On screen graphic is basically a wide open field and a flat green. Its sufficient for what its meant to represent (a golf range), but i didn't pay $$$ for sufficient. I hope they think of something more creative for the range. Ie. allowing you to place an obstruction anywhere you want so that you can practice your fade/draw/high/low shot/etc.

Edit. Background graphics are 3d models. But i'm still not completely convinced of their physics. But i'll reserve judgement until 'play' comes out and i can better test its physics.

More information on the hitting screen. Some people might like the clean look, others might like more data to be available on the hitting screen. Averages, last shot data. Give the player the option to choose what data he wants on screen, instead of making us go to the analysis screen for the data.

Lag is not that bad, if u don't look for it. But if someone mentions it like i'm doing now, you'll notice that there is a noticeable time lag from ball impacting the screen and ball projection on the screen. Hopefully foresight can reduce the lag in future updates.

Lack of ghosting features. I'm not too sure if i'm calling this right, but i think i saw this on other software, where previous shots will leave faint tracking trails so that you can compare your current shots with previous shot on the hitting screen. I think that will be cool to have and useful as a training aid (though with the option to turn it off or the ability to adjust opacity and select how many previous tracks to show).

Lack of keyboard shortcuts. "Spacebar = return to hitting screen". I'm sure alot of folks with bad hand-eye coordination (not good for golf either) will appreciate not having to control a small mouse cursor to click on small boxes to return to hitting screen. "Numerals = corresponding iron" is another useful one.

Sound or rather the lack of it. There's no environmental sound. I didn't quite notice it at first and i didn't quite mind when i noticed that it was missing, but now i wish it was there. I think it affects immersion if you don't have any sound.

The good

Ability to choose distance on the fly. Seems like a totally obvious thing to have but since the Creative demo required you to reload the driving range for different distances, i'll give FSX some credit.

The swing analysis page allows club comparison which basically takes the average of each club and shows the average data for each club and its corresponding flight path for comparison. Quite interesting and potentially useful.

For those who complained that the GC2 didn't give accurate carry numbers, now you have the ability to change your elevation which affects the carry number. I was able to increase my carry distance by 20-30 yards by changing it from base elevation to its highest elevation.

Summary for 'Fit' module

The developers might have good intentions with their online component, but their current deployment of the online requirement is worrisome. Hopefully they rejigger their online component to increase its fun factor where appropriate but reduce its dependency for basic functionalities, otherwise there might be some who will get turned away from the idea of having to be always connected for essentially a single player experience.

'Fit' (when fully functional in a few months) does a serviceable job. However, their $40 FS performance fitting app also does a serviceable job. The 'fit' module currently feels like they started from a $40 app and added ball flight simulation to it. So either the app is a really good deal or the module is underwhelming considering its price tag.

Instead of trying to only replicate a real driving range, the developers need to to figure out what their technology improves over real life. 4k graphics isn't going to outshine natural trees anytime soon, but being able to overlay graphics, change the range to fit the player practice and convey information not otherwise available to the golfer? That is something useful and i wouldn't feel like a chump for buying.

The 'Compete' module review

Compete is split into 4 different categories. 'Skills', 'closest to pin', 'longest drive', and 'offline challenge.' Through these 4 different categories, the graphics are the same as 'Fit'. So it basically the 'Fit' module with challenges. As with the 'fit' module they require you to login online or you can play as a guest. In this module online logging in makes some sense, as the idea is that your scores will be uploaded to an online leaderboard where you can compete with other players. Interesting as this online leaderboard might sound, right now its broken. The last posting to the leaderboard is in June 2014 and none of your scores gets posted (see what i mean by alpha stage). But lets move on.

'Closest to the pin' and' longest drive' is basically what the name implies so i won't go into detail. 'Offline challenge' is also what the name implies but to elaborate, its basically a challenge you host locally to play with family and friends. You can choose the distance, number of shots to be taken and set a time limit (quite useless) or an open-ended game (seems buggy - can't join the game with consistency). Hopefully they can improve it to add more challenges in future updates.

'Skills'

Skills is a module where you are given about 10 different targets at different distances. They test your half swing shots for the first few swings, and full swing shots to finish, and you get awarded points to how close you hit the ball to the target. Its a good idea that can take some of the monotony out of practicing on the range all day, however in its current iteration, foresight basically thinks the only skill in golf is to hit it straight and distance control (in all fairness, if you can master the 2, you are probably a good golfer).

The only change from this formula is the second shot where you are required to hit a 20 yard flop shot. I hope you have home insurance because this shot is going to cause alot of ricochet in a small room. At least they added a different challenge other than just straight and distance control, but hopefully in future edition they will add the fade/draw, high/low shots as well.

*note to developers - add more skills challenges to 'skills'

To make it more interesting, they could also add hazards to deduct points (like in real golf!). Create forced carries to reward good shots instead of rewarding thinned shots that run all the way up to the target. I would also like to see them split up the challanges in terms of skill level and distances. Right now its a one-size-fits all with a 250-300 yard finale. My dad with his 140 driving distance, doesn't even bother with the skills challenge because he knows he can't complete half the challenges. So it'll be nice if foresight could develop a challenge for shorter hitting players to get them involved.

*note to developers - make the skill challenge relevant to all levels of golfers.

Other things to note is that the skills challenge doesn't allow you to change your elevation like in the 'fit' module. This means that for folks who think gc2 is not calculating their ball carry properly, you are basically handicapped right from the start of this skill challenge as you will always be hitting it short and have to compensate for it. Another thing that annoys me is that you have to acknowledge the points rating system for every shot. I understood the first time that hitting near the hole nets me 5 points, hitting it out of the circle nets me 0 points, pls do not make me acknowledge your oh-so-complicated system every time i want to hit the ball.

Online elements

And since this module has an online element to it. It'll be nice if it wasn't just limited to posting your scores online. Allow it the ability to download average ball trajectory/placement of the community, or best shot of the day and show the trajectory to you on screen before you hit so you have a visual target to beat. I want to know if the score i'm trying to beat was from a lucky hack who topped his ball and ran it up to the hole or a pro who flew the ball past the hole and drew it back with backspin. If foresight is going to foist an online requirement onto their customers, they better have a good reason for doing so and add features that improve the golfing experience. But baby steps first, fix the online score posting.

*note to developers - add more functionality to the online system

Also, if they want to create stickiness to their system, foresight is going to need to implement more ways to lure people to compete daily. An 'all time best' statistic is an achievable goal in the early stages when there are still not so many players, but after the bar has been raised, an unattainable goal might put people off from trying, so they are going to need daily/weekly/monthly best for achievable goals. Cumulative scores might encourage the die-hard competitors but put-off the once in a while players. Or maybe implement a handicap system so if you want to brag about your low handicap, you're going to have to compete with the big boys (or girls). Whereas posting a higher handicap would allow you to be on the (lower handicap) leaderboards more. These are some things that foresight needs to put some thought into if they want to implement online requirements, instead of plain vanilla score upload.

Summary for 'Compete' Module

Right now the compete feels too much like the 'fit' module with challenges added on. There is potential for it to be a useful training/entertainment app, but right now its not living up to its potential. The online system doesn't work (but i expect that to get fixed).

FSX as a whole

The only thing going for FSX right now is that it is the newest software out, however it is also unfinished. Other than 4k resolution (i'm only using 1280x800) and a (restrictive) online system (which is not yet working properly), I'm not seeing the benefits of FSX compared to other systems which are already fully fleshed out.

It seems like foresight is trying to reinvent the wheel with FSX when all they need to make their customers happy is just improve on the existing software. Unless there are patents to consider, it baffles me that FSX is still struggling with some basic stuff when their competitors have already solved most of these issues.

As a preorderer, i appreciate foresight releasing the software early so that i have something to play with whilst they work on it some more, but they have alot of work left to do (which is going to take months) and unless they announce cheaper courses for FSX (unlikely) or have Apple's 'one more thing' kind of revelation*, buyer's remorse is starting to set in for me.

* The one big thing that is on my wish list is the ability to create your own courses. Anybody played sid meier's simgolf? Thats what i want. Foresight just has to provide the tools and the community will provide the courses in record time. I can even imagine a profit sharing model where they charge other customers who want to download your course and give you a small share of the sale to be used only for buying other courses. This way courses won't take forever to be made, foresight doesn't have to spend the man hours creating courses and customers will get courses for cheaper. With this implemented, i predict foresight will have the largest database of golf courses and i think attract more people to their launch monitor because they have the variety and more importantly cheap golf courses that other systems can't offer. I think i might even spend more time designing golf courses than playing it!
    Last edited by Yongchai; 09-16-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Looks like some good suggestions. Work needed by the looks of it!

Par Kball is on a distinguished road
    Confused why this is called ALPHA version - I believe they are already selling the FSX compete and FIT modules.

1 Iron Jsgregg is on a distinguished road
    Same question here. Did you purchase this from Foresight or was it provided to you to assist with testing? Like Kball said, aren't they selling the full release version already?

I bought FSX and gc2 as part of a package in Feb. i got the gc2 in march but received the FSX in june. When i was making my purchase, they did warn me that it was still in the development stage. I didn't worry too much because i thought the wait wouldn't be that long and i wanted their newest software and didn't want to pay the upgrade fee.

I'm not sure if they released a newer version, but if they did, they didn't inform me or send me a download link or new cd, so i am assuming i am still using their most current software.

I also don't know how they are marketing the FSX now, but if they are calling the version i have now as a full release, then i would tell you to go demo it out first before you make a commitment to see if the issues i pointed out are still there.

As a pre-orderer, i appreciate Foresight releasing this version early so at least i have something to play with while they continue with development. They risked getting bad reviews from an unpolished software that might affect their future sales, so i'm not too upset with the current state of development. Think of my previous post as feedback and suggestions for improvement rather than an actual review.

However for those sitting on the fence, i would say wait for the full release (or at least until the 'play' module comes out). Considering that marketing of FSX started in beginning of the year and that there were rumors stating FSX was first going to be released in april and it was pushed back and released in june, they had 3 extra month for polish. If all they could polish in 3 months is my current version, i would expect it to be at least until next year before they are actually ready for a 'full release'

(i would be very happy if proven wrong)

8 Iron col forbin is on a distinguished road
    I just quickly emailed someone over at Foresight to see when the FSX play will be ready and the response I received was "hopefully in the next two months or so" I love the product, the people at the company when I talk to them are always great, but the FSX module to this point has been a complete let down. I don't even use the driving range and revert back to the old FS1 software. Having prepaid since February, I feel like I flushed $1K down the drain. I'm hoping it comes out in November/December because I live in MN, and would like to try some courses that are not of the Red Chain variety. BTW, I do like the Red Chain courses, but was looking for something way more customizable especially with the lie penalty/ball speed ratio. Based on the range and competion, I wish I could do an exchange for a course package at this point. Hopefully, the FSX proves me wrong!

*edited first posting to add review of 'compete' module

Col forbin, seems like you have both software, it'll be nice if you could come up with a comparison between the 2 to see how each measure up. My only basis for comparison is the Creative Demo and what i see on youtube for FS1, so your input would be appreciated.

8 Iron col forbin is on a distinguished road
    I will first start by saying that I essentially bought the FSX software for the Play portion, meaning the courses. That being said, I hope the Fit & Compete modules are not representative of the Play software.

I really don't use the Compete, so I will not go into that. For the Fit, it appears to be pretty solid. Nothing special about the graphics and I wasn't expecting it because it is just a range. The options are all there (camera views, fly by, data analysis, etc.), but extracting data seems a lot easier on the FS1. Also, I like the ability to use a mouse and put yourself anywhere on the range on the FS1. On the Fit, it seems like there is only a straight line to the green that is defined by increments of 10 yards. The Fit does not have that little mini map, which I find very useful on the FS1 software. Overall, I guess the Fit just seems like a beta to me at this point. I still use the FS1 since I warm up with that and go to the courses to play a round.

I hope the FSX Play has all the customizing they are marketing because I am not a fan of the lie penalty being set as the ball speed percentage. That is probably is the one thing I hope that you can customize in the new software more than anything.

Thread Information