CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lob Wedge Tweaver is on a distinguished road

Purchasing a GC2 System--Advice?

I'm getting together with a golf pro/friend to purchase a simulator. We were considering Trugolf, GC2, and Protee systems. It looks like we are going with the GC2 (unless somebody tells us we are crazy). Our room is a little over 19 X 19. Ceilings are 9 ft on the sides of the room and very tall in the middle. The room is carpeted. The pro will be using it for lessons and club fittings; my primary interest is for my daughter to be able to play/practice in the winter. Our high school golf teams will likely be using the simulator as well.

Since neither one of us has any experience with simulators, we are looking for a little advice:

1. Hitting Screen. Should we go with the biggest screen possible? Also, who makes the "best" screens? The foresight rep is recommending a 9 X 12 screen and says their screen is as good as any others on the market.

2. Projector. The foresight rep says we should go with the Epson G6450 if we are looking for optimal image quality (and we are) without going totally overboard on the cost (at approximately $3.5K, this projector is already a little overboard). This Epson projector has 4500 lumens and is 1900 X1200. Does this sound like the right projector for us?

3. Hitting Turf. Based on the reviews I've seen on this forum, we are considering the TrueStrike and the Country Club Elite mats. We have a couple of lefties in our group of expected players, so we need to set the mat(s) to accomodate both righties and lefties. Any thoughts as to which hiting mat we should purchase?

4. Software. The foresight rep recommends that we purchase the simulation and analysis software, at least one course package, and the FSX software. I understand that they have not yet released any courses featuring the FSX software yet. The courses sound like they will, at least initially, be a little pricey (we were quoted $100-150 each). Has anybody played an FSX course yet (the rep indicated that some users were now testing the initial, not-yet-released course), and if so, are these courses the way to go? It sounds like some people were/are using the ProTee courses--is this still possible? At this point, the software seems to be the weak link in the GC2 system.

Sorry for the lengthy first post. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tim

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Many options. Read as much as you can before buying. GC2 is a good option but other options exist. New launch monitor is soon to be released. Are you playing simulated rounds or just practicing? Do you have lefties and righties? Do you want club data? These are the essential questions. If you are dead set on GC2 then have at it!

1 hitting screen, suggest you call Cory at Par2 Pro. West coast netting as well is good. Biggest screen depending on your space and projector capabilities.
    2.Sky is the limit with the projector.
    3. Many options. True strike and Country Club elite are good.
    4. Software depends on the system you go with.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    Tim

I believe that you will find a lot of this has been extensively discussed on this site and that by going through the pages you will find a lot of information and maybe some things hat you did not consider.

Some thoughts

1. If the screen is nine feet high,,then you will need to consider your set up and ensure that you have sufficient height on the ends of your screen as you will need a few additional inches for attaching the screen and holding it up. There are suggestions here on this and Cory from Par 2 Pro is always very helpful. He also sells an HQ Screen material that has been well reviewed. Again there are good discussions here on screen material and costing and others have looked to Golf Simulator Guys.

2. A 12:9 screen will project a 4:3 image fully, but will you project at 16:9 or 16:10? As this would then cause the image to not fill the top of your screen, but maybe a better image noting that at 12 feet wide your height would be 7.5 feet and your projector will site around the back of your room which should be fine and given its zoom could be moved closer to eliminate shadows. I would recommend looking at projector central.

3. I'm sure they are recommending a good quality projector, but most here have gone for something that would likely be a tier down from this projector, including myself. I'm still using mine in my home theatre at the moment as I'm waiting on the next gen sim as you drop in price you have to make some sacrifices in order to get what you want and thus, if you need something more flexible that is brighter for the room it will be in then I think your choices will be limited as most projectors are designed for theatre and thus are not as bright or the boardroom and don't give the image quality (although they are good). Projectors designed for games unfortunately don't do an HD image.

4. I use Truestrike, but again read all the comments here as some people have done specific comparisons between the Truestrike and CCE using the sim you are considering.

5. The only comment on software that I can make is that they seem to be putting you down the right path, but let others that are using it comment on their thoughts. I'm just frustrated with the time it is taking for these companies to bring out their next gen as I have been holding off now for nine months in buying a sim software and was hoping to have something before the season ends. I'm just thankful that TPS gives me a lot of info without the need for a sim really.

Hope this helps.

Bubba,

Thanks for the quick reply. I was lucky to stumble upon this forum, and have spent many hours the last couple of weeks reading up on the various systems. This forum really is a wonderful resource. What is new new launch monitor soon to be released?

The simulator will probably be used equally for practice and simulation, so we want club data. Most of the users will be serious golfers, but a few will be beginners. We will have righties and lefties (this seemed to be a drawback for the GC2). I wouldn't say we are "dead set" on the GC2. We have a chance to get a pretty good deal on a Trugolf system, but the GC2 seems to viewed as more accurate. Any other systems we should seriously consider?

New launch monitor is the Skytrak. Do read up on it here. Probably will be launched in a month. Club data with GC2 requires the HMT which is another $6500. Lefty righty play with GC2 or any launch monitor is a little bit of a hassle. Other systems to look at are Trackman, Protee, Trugolf and Sportscoach.

Flightscope as well.

Dax,

I think I've reviewed every relevant thread from the last few years on the systems we were considering, though my eyes tend to glaze over when it comes to discussions regarding projector issues. I've spent so much time reading this form that I feel like I know some of you guys. But the golf simulator industry appears to be so dynamic that I wanted to see if anybody pointed me in a direction that I had not yet researched (for example, I wasn't paying attention to Skytrak threads).

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    I'll add one thing. I love Cory, I got my GC2 from him but beware of the HQ high quality screens. I hit very hard long irons and I've broken through 2 of his HQ screens since January. Brand new screens, setup very loose and to spec, and with new golf balls. I'm not offering an alternative because I haven't tried anything else yet but I thought I'd share. I'm not sure what others have experienced.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Protee software is still available. TGC will be too once it's ready.

So we can still purchase Protee software and use it with the GC2?

I understand that you and Bubba can't say much about Skytrak, but given what you guys know, would you recommend waiting a while before purchasing the GC2? I wouldn't want to wait more than a month or two at most; winter is coming.

I'll PM you.

1 Iron Jsgregg is on a distinguished road
    I'll offer you a few of my thoughts. I was in a position similar to yours, and considered most of the same launch monitor/simulators that you are looking at. I have a daughter that plays junior golf, and that was a big factor in wanting to invest in a launch monitor. After a lot of study and deliberation, I purchased the GC2. I have to say…I am absolutely thrilled with it.

I have built a golf studio in my garage. I installed a screen enclosure and a putting green. We have been using it, and we love it. I know there are a lot of options out there, and you have to decide what is right for you. In my case, I couldn't be happier.

Jsgregg,

Thanks for your comments. Your situation does sound a lot like mine. What software options did you choose?

Can anybody who has actually seen the FSX software in operation comment on it (other than the numerous delays in release)?

Sand Wedge DGThread is on a distinguished road
    I am currently putting my sim on hold atleast until skytrak releases unless this FSX turns out to be amazing. I love the GC2 because accuracy is very important to me, but at the same time I don't feel like having to explain to the boys that the graphics will be improving while my $15K investment looks like a old school Nintendo game. E611 and the Golf Club are almost enough for me to really re think my set up.. So frustrating..

DGThread,

The only software I've seen in person is E6. I'm hoping that the FSX is as impressive as what foresight has indicated (better than E6). If it's not all that great, I will pursue other software options for the GC2.

Sand Wedge DGThread is on a distinguished road
    This video has me really second guessing buying a GC2 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QmHSl6yZGf0

I agree that E6ii looks great, but this video is a little old now and given the huge delays that E6 is having as well, it will be interesting to see when one of these latest gen applications will be released.

Crossing my fingers we will see something soon.

I'm in Chicago this weekend with my family and plan to check out a few simulators as some final due diligence. I checked out Play 18 Chicago last night. They have AboutGolf units. The graphics are nice, but nowhere near what is shown on the E6ii video. Heading to Fairways later today.

In Downers Grove, Butterfield road and 355, there's a PGA SuperStore. They have 4 sim bays and 4 range bays all using AboutGolf. Down the street is a Golfsmith. They have 2 GC2 full simulator bays.

Btw, the site for e6 II no longer exist. I thing they're just going to upgrade e6 for now.

I hope you are right Zmax, it would just be nice for them to email me back and let me know what is happening, or just email me... Is cash in pocket not better than having people sit on the fence. I do think the changes that they made in version 1.6 loom great btw, just can't wait to see what is next.

Btw it's not just the E6II we page that is gone, it's looks like the entire E6 site has been merged back in with the Truegolf site.

If they don't return your emails or calls, why give them your business. Most of their business probably come from commercial installs. Once the upgrade is done, I'll write a review. I still expect it to be inferior to Red Chain.

I suspect you are right Zmax. Looking forward to your review.

Zmax,

Thanks for the tip. Made the drive to Golfsmith yesterday. The guys there were very pleasant. They weren't all that busy, so they let me use the simulator for as long as I wanted. The graphics are certainly a step down from the Trugolf that I tested using the E6. Accuracy seemed good on shots that were actually read. Unfortunately, there were quite a few unread shots. Especially putts. If this is representative of putting on the GC2 sim, I think I would eliminate putting altogether. In fact, the Golfsmith guy who was helping me said that's what they do in their league. They set it for 10 ft. and closer, 1 putt. Everything else 2 putt.

Goldsmith didn't have the HMT. After viewing the limited information available without the HMT, looks like this is must have for seriousl practice.

That is interesting about the missed shots. I have had my GC2 for about 3 months and can count the missed shots on one hand. I have read that when the flash starts to go it will miss shots. As for putting, I don't think any simulator or launch monitor does it great. Have heard very good things about the protee putting sensor though.

I don't think the problem is necessarily with the way the GC2 reads putts. I think the problem is in trying to read a putt on a 2d screen. You can't get any real sense of slope or speed. That is why those guys set it to 10 feet. You just have to get it in the neighborhood.

Definitely do not buy a launch monitor to improve your putting.

Protee putting is awesome, probably best amongst sims. I have access to a GC2 on a regular basis and there are occasional missed shots. The GC2 unit at our local golf store misses shots all the time. Perhaps the flash? I have E6 and must say, I much prefer Red Chain over E6. Will send what E6 next gen shows.

Not quite JS, while it will never replace real practice on a putting green, the guys in our Protee tournament will tell how good it is to putt on the Protee/GC2 system. The Protee uses a separate putting sensor/carpet and is about as good as simulated putting can get, which is a thousand times better than FullSwing golf e6 putting. I'm sure you've seen some of our matches on twitch.

For the gc2, Protee has adjustments to soften the ball path readings for putts. For our tournaments, we use 60" gimmes. We can probably go to 48". This feature is only on the Protee software.

The Protee software allows me to read breaks and speed pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post

The Protee software allows me to read breaks and speed pretty well.
    Much like real putting, that is a learned skill. LOL.

Putting on e6 sucks even with a Protee putting sensor. Putting on e6 using FullSwing golf simulator is like getting a root canal.

Good simulator putting requires accurate ball measurements with software adjustments for turf speed and good graphics to allow reading of greens.

JS--I agree on not puchasing a launch monitor to improve putting. Still, I think most people would prefer to have sim putting that is at least good enough that you want to keep it as part of the game.

I certainly agree with that.

Thread Information