100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Nice putt John Daly!

Including a fist pump from John.
    Hope he at least gets a playoff out of it!

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Including a fist pump from John.
    Hope he at least gets a playoff out of it!
    Unfortunately, that is all Daly got out of it....oh yeah and probably $500,000.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Was JD just happy to settled for second? Shouldn't he be at the range or putting green to keep loose for the pending playoff? The post-tournament interview he was sayin "VJ's got my number..."

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    IMHO, JD should have at least hit a few 5 wood shots on the range as he knew that is what he was going to be hitting off the 1st playoff hole, but what do I know
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF
    IMHO, JD should have at least hit a few 5 wood shots on the range as he knew that is what he was going to be hitting off the 1st playoff hole, but what do I know
    I dont know about that. You gota do what you usually do. Does JD spend lots of time on the range? I dont think he's much into that. They did ask him and he laughed it off.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Eagle Rusty is on a distinguished road Rusty's Avatar
    I think that John does not have the highly competitive edge that someone like VJ, Tiger or Phil has.

John has decided that no matter what happens he is going to have fun. I think EDSGOLF has it right, he realizes that second place was still a pile of money, nothing to sneeze at. If he wanted to win badly, you know he would have been on the range staying loose.
    I can't imagine the pressure that they must be under to sink a putt, or hit that tee shot, and I think that John doesnt need that kind of stress.
    (Now, if he was playing team sports he would be unpopular with his teammates. )

Now what I thougt was cool - No more Trimspa logo on the shirt - now its Hooters! A lumber store and Hooters, the one liners are just too easy.

Rusty

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty
    I think that John does not have the highly competitive edge that someone like VJ, Tiger or Phil has.
    While I agree hes not burning with that desire to win: to win the PGA and the British Open, you need a competitive edge.

I think he knows what works for him, and stretching and warming up for a playoff probably isn't his style.

72 Divots
    I don't know if it's really fair for us to assess how badly JD wants to win. While I agree that he does not likely have the burning desire to do what is necessary to be the best in the world (i.e., exercise) , I think he cares a lot about how he plays and winning. Winning may in fact mean more to him than many other players given that he knows opportunities such as these won't arise very week for him. A few years back, if he had two double bogeys like he had in the 2nd or 3rd round (can't recall), that would have been it. I think the way he came back and got himself back into the tournament showed a lot of character.

Judging a player by his outer demeanour can be misleading I believe. Look at guys like Fred Couples, Lee Trevino, etc. They carry themsleves in a "looser" fashion because that is what works for them - I don't think anybody second guesses how badly they want to win.

As far as hitting the range, may have helped him with his tee shot on 18 during the playoff but it certainly isn't his style. From what I saw, he put a pretty good swing on it but just over hooked it a bit.

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    While I agree hes not burning with that desire to win: to win the PGA and the British Open, you need a competitive edge.I think he knows what works for him, and stretching and warming up for a playoff probably isn't his style.
    I beg to disagree on this. This guy would not be there if he did not possess the work ethics and desire to win. He may have lost the "killer instinct" of Tiger, VJ or diMarco. A few years ago, in an interview he claerly stated that unless he could succeed at staying "cool" and relaxed, he could not avoid doing "stupid things". The guy is the closest thing to a recreational golfer when he is in the "zone". Let's sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 3295
    I beg to disagree on this. This guy would not be there if he did not possess the work ethics and desire to win. He may have lost the "killer instinct" of Tiger, VJ or diMarco. A few years ago, in an interview he claerly stated that unless he could succeed at staying "cool" and relaxed, he could not avoid doing "stupid things". The guy is the closest thing to a recreational golfer when he is in the "zone". Let's sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.
    Well, I think we are agreeing, actually. I just meant he doesn't seem to possess the KILLER KILLER KILLER instinct that Tiger has...

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Question: Would a fat guy like Daly need more or less "staying loose" time than an athletic built guy like Tiger or to a lesser extent, Phil or VJ?

To me, the only thing that everlooks tight on John Daly is his shirt. This guy has a poetic rhythm that reminds me of the scorpions' album where they played with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. Power and grace mixed together.
    ---------
    BUT - I'd never question ANYONE's desire to win, especially at a professional level. You're not there to finish second. You're there to finish as high as you believe is possible. In Daly's case, that's a pretty high finish to aim for, i.e. first.

Hell, I'm sure that even Duval is playing to win, not just make the cut... Just in his case, that's likely all in the past, and now he'll linger on like a bad fart. (See Mario Lemieux and Jerry Rice).

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Eagle Rusty is on a distinguished road Rusty's Avatar
    After reading the responses about John's desire to win, I started to wonder, what could he do, if he got as devoted as say, VJ? If he lost 100 lbs, hit balls till the cows came home, quite smoking, forgot about his singjng career, what could he do? I bet he would scare you - I would be suprised if he wasn't in the top 3.
    I think that his short game is as good as Phils, and he can outdrive Tiger when he is on top of his game...

Just a thought.
    Rusty

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty
    After reading the responses about John's desire to win, I started to wonder, what could he do, if he got as devoted as say, VJ? If he lost 100 lbs, hit balls till the cows came home, quite smoking, forgot about his singjng career, what could he do? I bet he would scare you - I would be suprised if he wasn't in the top 3.
    I think that his short game is as good as Phils, and he can outdrive Tiger when he is on top of his game...

Just a thought.
    Rusty
    He just becomes a younger looking version of Darren Clarke ...doesn't appeal to me at all. I like John's carefree attitude...Life is too short, he wants to enjoy it.

Thread Information