100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Forestboy is on a distinguished road

Question about irons...

Hi all, my first post in what seems like a great forum! I'm wondering if the equipment gurus can offer me some guidance...

I've been using some Wilson staff forged irons for ever. I love the feel on good shots, but I've recently discovered that they are too short for me and cost me distance--the main reason my iron play is the weak link of my game. Now, upon entering the crazy world of golf equipment, I need help.

I decided to try some "game improvement" style clubs, the Cleveland TA7s. With .5 inch longer shafts and the head difference I was suddenly hitting longer and higher iron shots, a very good sign to say the least. But I just couldn't warm up to the offset and the feel of the cast heads, plus I wasn't as accurate with the short irons.

So the salesguy suggested the Ping i3 blades, which I tried, and really liked. They looked good at address, and felt something between a cast and forged club--is this an accurate assessment?

That's all I've tried so far. I'm ready to go for the i3 blades since I'd rather be spending time playing than agonizing about which clubs to get... but then I stumbled across more and more info about flexes, kickpoints, frequencies, loft, lie, etc... and have become concerned about getting something that fits me properly. I hit the i3s well and the salesguy seemed to know that i'd need a stiff shaft and a slightly upright lie--blue or green dot.

So, to sum up:
    I'm 27, 6'1"
    Hit driver 250-265, use 8 iron from 150 (this is how the salesman assessed my shaft needs), good from tee, solid short game, weaker iron play.
    11 handicap a couple of years ago, haven't played regularly since then until now. After trying the TA7s i have high hopes for my iron play and my goal is to be single-digit this season with proper-fitting irons and a (my first) lesson or two.

I'm pretty good at simply going with what works best after trying, but I want these clubs to last me a long time, so my main questions are as follows:
    What should I be demanding from my salesguy in terms of fitting, i.e. shafts etc.?
    Do the i3 blades seem like a good choice for my needs? Any other suggestions?
    Should I see a "clubmaker"? Or is a "fitting session" at the golf shop enough?

Thanks for all your help!

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I would say that a fitting session at the golf shop is good if he makes you hit balls on an impact board to decide how upright and what extensions you need. Also if you were to go on a launch monitor it should be able to tell you what flex shafts work best for you. If the Ping i3 work for you then go with them, they are great irons!!!

Enjoy!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Forestboy
    Hi all, my first post in what seems like a great forum! I'm wondering if the equipment gurus can offer me some guidance...

I've been using some Wilson staff forged irons for ever. I love the feel on good shots, but I've recently discovered that they are too short for me and cost me distance--the main reason my iron play is the weak link of my game. Now, upon entering the crazy world of golf equipment, I need help.

I decided to try some "game improvement" style clubs, the Cleveland TA7s. With .5 inch longer shafts and the head difference I was suddenly hitting longer and higher iron shots, a very good sign to say the least. But I just couldn't warm up to the offset and the feel of the cast heads, plus I wasn't as accurate with the short irons.

So the salesguy suggested the Ping i3 blades, which I tried, and really liked. They looked good at address, and felt something between a cast and forged club--is this an accurate assessment?

That's all I've tried so far. I'm ready to go for the i3 blades since I'd rather be spending time playing than agonizing about which clubs to get... but then I stumbled across more and more info about flexes, kickpoints, frequencies, loft, lie, etc... and have become concerned about getting something that fits me properly. I hit the i3s well and the salesguy seemed to know that i'd need a stiff shaft and a slightly upright lie--blue or green dot.

So, to sum up:
    I'm 27, 6'1"
    Hit driver 250-265, use 8 iron from 150 (this is how the salesman assessed my shaft needs), good from tee, solid short game, weaker iron play.
    11 handicap a couple of years ago, haven't played regularly since then until now. After trying the TA7s i have high hopes for my iron play and my goal is to be single-digit this season with proper-fitting irons and a (my first) lesson or two.

I'm pretty good at simply going with what works best after trying, but I want these clubs to last me a long time, so my main questions are as follows:
    What should I be demanding from my salesguy in terms of fitting, i.e. shafts etc.?
    Do the i3 blades seem like a good choice for my needs? Any other suggestions?
    Should I see a "clubmaker"? Or is a "fitting session" at the golf shop enough?

Thanks for all your help!
    Being a hobbyist clubmaker, I say "See a clubmaker."

From the fitting session you will find out the flex of the shaft that will suit your swing speed, rate of acceleration from the top and hands position at impact. From your wrist to floor measurement and your height, you will find out what length of clubs are suitable for you. When the clubs are built you should have the lies dynamically checked and adjusted, if necessary. DO NOT ACCEPT someone saying to you that you need "X" degrees upright, or whatever until a lie board is used. The lie board does not lie about lies.

Do not expect noticeable increase in distance from ".5"" longer shafts.

FWIW: You do not have to pay $1000 for a set of forged irons.

Putter Forestboy is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the replies--much appreciated!

The more I think of it, it seems I do fit the bill of someone who should see a clubmaker--I want a long-term set that is tuned to my swing.

Now, more questions: What should I know about the process and how can I do some research before going?
    How much will it cost? Anyone know someone good near London?
    Can I buy the i3s and then have a clubmaker "customise" them with shafts etc. if need be? or is that counter-productive?
    By how much (i.e. in an extreme case) will properly-fit clubs improve iron play?

I know that's a mouthful--I'll do some snooping on these board for some answers. But any insight will of course be appreciated. Thanks again!

Thread Information