100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

At the beginning of our Level 4 Rules Seminar in April, 2013, we were each asked

At the beginning of our Level 4 Rules Seminar in April, 2013, we were each asked to select a rule of decision that we felt need some worked and there was no shortage of suggestions and they WERE taken seriously

Name a few if you don't mind.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    . Name a few if you don't mind.
    I don't remember where I put my glasses last night let alone remember what rules others felt were somewhat unfair.

However, mine was the following

16-1b/3
    Ball Lifted from Putting Green; Ball Replaced While Another Ball in Motion Subsequently Deflects Ball

Q.A's ball comes to rest on the putting green 20 feet from the hole. He marks the position of and lifts his ball so that B, whose ball is also on the putting green, but farther from the hole, can play first. While B's ball is in motion, A replaces his ball. B's ball strikes A's ball. What is the ruling?

A.If A's action was unintentional (i.e., not for the purpose of deflecting B's ball), Rule 19-5a applies. There is no penalty to either player since A had lifted his ball and it was not lying on the putting green immediately prior to B's stroke. A must replace his ball, and B must play his ball as it lies.

B did everything correct and yet, depending on where he ball came to rest, he could be significantly disadvantaged. I would suggest that at the very least, B should be able to replace and replay.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    IIRC, mine was to limit a ball search to 3 minutes.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Par tyorke1 is on a distinguished road
    get rid of out of bounds create new colour thats a stake , one shot penalty but can't play the ball or go look (ieYARD ), make trees that are unfindable red stakes, allow 15 CLUBS , place in bunker rather than drop in certain situations , big one!!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tyorke1 View Post
    get rid of out of bounds create new colour thats a stake , one shot penalty but can't play the ball or go look (ieYARD ), make trees that are unfindable red stakes, allow 15 CLUBS , place in bunker rather than drop in certain situations , big one!!
    Has your son read this?

1. OB is OB is OB. The ball is no longer on the "field of play". Why should a player be able to take advantage of the distance gained for a ball that's no longer in play? In hockey, do they take the faceoff at the nearest dot where the puck goes out of play? No, they take it at the nearest dot where the puck was shot from. Does a batter in baseball get freebies if his first two balls go foul? No. He's got extra pressure now because he's down to 1 strike.

2. I've been saying for years that red staked trees do not save time. Players are going to look for the ball anyway. This is why the rules allow you to play a provisional ball.

3. 15 clubs? Why? You've already got 14 different ways to hit one ball... Higher handicap players should carry fewer wedges, and more long clubs like an extra fairway wood or hybrid. They don't have enough feel to hit the finesse shots that the pros can, so learn with 1 or 2 wedges, and give yourself more options to cover the longer distances.

4. There's a reason they refer to bunkers as "hazards".
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Has your son read this?

1. OB is OB is OB. The ball is no longer on the "field of play". Why should a player be able to take advantage of the distance gained for a ball that's no longer in play? In hockey, do they take the faceoff at the nearest dot where the puck goes out of play? No, they take it at the nearest dot where the puck was shot from. Does a batter in baseball get freebies if his first two balls go foul? No. He's got extra pressure now because he's down to 1 strike.
    You can't compare golf to other sports - the analogies never work. One could just as easily point out that in football you DO get the yardage gained before going OB. In baseball you could argue that the third, fourth and fifth foul balls ARE freebies, etc., etc. We should just stick to golf.

1. The "field of play" is not standardized in golf. There is no doubt that removing distance from the penalty for OB will lower scores overall, but I hardly think that it will fundamentally change the game. The best players will still rise to the top. The time saved will come from not having to play provisionals (and potentially not having to search for provisionals).

2. See above regarding the time saved from not having to play provisionals.

3. Meh, its just a number. I don't think a lot of thought went into picking 14 as the number either - they just wanted to have a limit. Its hardly something to get worked up over.

4. I agree that bunkers should be "hazards". I guess it depends on what the "certain situations" are, as placing will usually give you a better lie than dropping in a bunker - but offhand I can't imagine any "certain situations" where placing would somehow be more appropriate. I'm kinda scratching my head at that one.

Actually, you only gain the yardage in football that is gained in bounds. You can't catch a ball out of bounds and claim the yardage, AND you still lose a down. It's not a freebie.

Also, golfers have the advantage of playing the ball from a static position each time. There should be no extra advantage gained by being able to chew up distance for a ball that ends up off the field of play from a position that offers such an advantage to begin with.

p.s. Provisionals do save time.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Actually, you only gain the yardage in football that is gained in bounds. You can't catch a ball out of bounds and claim the yardage, AND you still lose a down. It's not a freebie. .
    by that logic, then you should get the yardage obtained while your ball is inbounds, and where it cross the out of bounds line. as for the freebie, again by that logic, a down = a stroke.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    by that logic, then you should get the yardage obtained while your ball is inbounds, and where it cross the out of bounds line. as for the freebie, again by that logic, a down = a stroke.
    And by that logic, the hole should be complete as long as your ball passes over, or catches a piece of the hole, but stays out.

7 Iron sliceleft is on a distinguished road
    ... and you get three "steamboats" after you start your first practice swing, then your opponent can charge and tackle you if he evades your caddy's block. That might speed up tour play, too.

Thread Information