CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge DGThread is on a distinguished road

Rear Projection Setup

I am currently looking for a projector but having trouble getting the size of screen I want with the throw distance I have to work with. I am just wondering has anyone done a rear projection setup with a short throw projector? I think the golf channel uses a set up like that.

What kind of screen would work best for these?

Thanks

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    You just need back lit vinyl like you use on signs. Only issue is how much the seam would show. I have 54" wide on a roll that I print on and did a test with a short throw behind it and I thought it looked great.

What you would need is either a frame to attach the vinyl to or even an upper and lower 2x2 to attach to and hang it. In front of that is where the black net comes in and just keep it far enough infront of the screen so it does not bump the screen.

The short throw projector I have would only need to be about 6-7 feet behind for a large 8 foot by 9 or so wide image. I think it would be a great way to set up if you have the room behind it.

I am only an hour away from you if you want to see options. We have a great golf course here as well. Also I have the GC2.

Sand Wedge DGThread is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the response! My only other question would be if I went this way, wouldn't the projector be putting a image onto the screen that would be reversed when hitting on from the other side, or is there projector/software settings to flip that? Hope that makes sense...

6-7 feet might be a little more than I have to work with but I will look at some projectors tomorrow to see if there are other options.

Good call on the seam though, I think that's something I would not want to have to look at everyday.

How do you like your GC2? That is what I am looking at buying but I'm trying to hold out as long as possible. I am still weary of this FSX software.. Those course DLC's are ridiculously expensive.

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    All projectors should have settings on board that flip the image for a reverse setup. Even the old ones did. Also newer short throw do have even shorter throw distance if I recall.

I will try to do a test with the backlit material and a seam and use some optically clear laminate to join them and see if the seam is even noticable butted or with a slight overlap. This would be a low cost setup compared to a hitting screen ($75-$90 for the backlit material and $100 for the black net and this would be about 108" tall screen by 10 feet wide), and with the net in front, there would be little wear issues compared to a hitting screen unless you put a ball through the net. Then there would be issues.

I like my GC2 and I have the one course and range but also have the Protee software so I am looking more toward the new option with the golfclub game. I can handle a new computer to run the new FSX but I can't see buying a projector for $10,000 or more to run it to see the 4K. Then the cost again of their courses.....Most of all I like the idea of the course creation with the golfclub game which means endless courses for free.

Thread Information