CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar

Golf Channel's Relaxed rules of golf.

These rules were introduced to make the game more fun and quicker;

1- Maximum Score is double par.
    2- Penalties are all one storke
    3- Limit ball search to 2 min and play from where ball was last seen with one stroke penalty.
    4- Improve unfortunate lies.
    5- Conceded putts allowed in stroke play as well.
    6- No equipment restrictions.
    7- Use common sense.

What does everyone think?
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    As long as the player isn't entering scores for handicap purposes im all for it.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    As long as the player isn't entering scores for handicap purposes im all for it.

Agree 100%

8 Iron zee51 is on a distinguished road
    If it works for those playing fine. Just don't confuse it with golf. Same as tee ball is not baseball but for those that enjoy it great.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    The mods are reasonable for beginners and very casual players. There is no reason a very casual player would care about a handicap. Once you get to that level the game remains the same. There is nothing wrong with this. It will speed up play and if a set of actual "casual golf" rules follows it can legitimize it for those players.

I have no desire to see pizza size holes. I would avoid tracks that had them myself. If a bigger hole is what you want just play anything within a putter grip is considered in - or better yet, a gimmie. Please don't make it harder for the serious golfers to navigate the greens.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I think that's their point though. They want these to be the rules. Otherwise, what's the point? You either play by the rules as defined, or you don't...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    This seems redundant... most casual golfers play by these rules anyways. My father does, many of my friends do, and most of the people I meet at the first tee play by similar rules. Who am I to care? Who am I to judge. Thats the best part of golf, you play with people, but at the end of the day you play your own game.

I don't think I've ever seen someone (including members0 at my home course walk back to a tee box to re-hit - and there's plenty of opportunities to. Even if they do keep a handicap with these lax rules, they are only cheating themselves. Other than bragging rights before the round begins there's no advantage of having a lower than reality handicap. The person would soon learn when they get whooped during a tournament round that does adhere to the rules.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    I think that's their point though. They want these to be the rules. Otherwise, what's the point? You either play by the rules as defined, or you don't...

While I admire your knowledge and dedication to the rules you should not be so harsh on such golfers. Call it recreational golf if you'd like but it still is golf. Not everyone is a competitive golfer or keeps a handicap for whatever reason. A weekend jogger is still a jogger and is not after the 4 minute mile. And if recreational golfers were to read every putt as seen on TV then you would likely experience 5+ hour round.
    Have you ever played a round without adding your strokes up? I have and believe me it was fun and when I got home I was not depressed because of a bad round. Actually if I could attain the same state of mind when I play a regular round I would be better much better off. And in the end it is only a game and a nice walk in the park for most people and it beats the heck out of sitting on the couch and stuffing yourself.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    Our Monday group have always played by similar rules, except for our annual tournament. Would have no interest in playing every round strictly by the rules.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    While I admire your knowledge and dedication to the rules you should not be so harsh on such golfers. Call it recreational golf if you'd like but it still is golf. Not everyone is a competitive golfer or keeps a handicap for whatever reason. A weekend jogger is still a jogger and is not after the 4 minute mile. And if recreational golfers were to read every putt as seen on TV then you would likely experience 5+ hour round.
    Have you ever played a round without adding your strokes up? I have and believe me it was fun and when I got home I was not depressed because of a bad round. Actually if I could attain the same state of mind when I play a regular round I would be better much better off. And in the end it is only a game and a nice walk in the park for most people and it beats the heck out of sitting on the couch and stuffing yourself.
    That's not my point, Chief. I was simply stating that there's no need for a second set of rules. I have no problem with anyone playing their "casual rounds" however they choose to play them. My point was aimed at John's comment that there's an assumption that there would be 2 sets of official rules. The people at the GC are suggesting that their proposed rules actually replace the existing rules, not have them exist concurrently.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    The folks at Golf Channel are so knowledgeable that perhaps we should give them a seat on the JRC.

Scratch Player kilmidyke is on a distinguished road kilmidyke's Avatar
    The lunatics at TGC should all be fired. This does not even amount to normal healthy discussion. Personally, getting sick and tired of the inane drivel coming from Golf Channel. If it wasn't for the paltry smattering of European Tour coverage I wouldn't watch it at all.
    American golf didn't like having any control of the rules, hence USGA, and now they think they own the game....even at Golf Channel level. Utter nonsense once again.
    $0.02 rant over with.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    The mods are reasonable for beginners and very casual players. There is no reason a very casual player would care about a handicap. Once you get to that level the game remains the same. There is nothing wrong with this. It will speed up play and if a set of actual "casual golf" rules follows it can legitimize it for those players.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with pace of play.

I played with a threesome that plays by these rules earlier today - they were some of the slowest golfers I have ever played with. We were two holes behind after 7. They certainly weren't wasting their time fixing ball marks - apparently that was my job. They told me they play golf every weekend, but when I announced that I was played a provisional they didn't seem to know what that was. According to them the correct procedure when someone hits a ball into the woods is (a) take your mulligan, or (b) everyone must spend 10 minutes looking for a ball 20 yards farther ahead of where it might be before even considering playing their own ball, and when (surprise!) they don't find it then the unfortunate golfer must take a penalty stroke but gets to drop a ball in the fairway at the approximate location of the longest drive they have ever hit in their life. Five hours later I walked off the 18th green hoping to never meet up with these guys again.

Now I will be the first to admit that I don't play casual rounds of golf strictly by the rules. I don't give a #$%@ where NPR is when my ball is on the cart path. If you want to know what club I just hit then just ask and I'll tell you. If I just bought a new club then chances are pretty good that I have 15 clubs in the bag. And I certainly don't agree with all the rules in the current Rules of Golf even when I do play by them in competitive rounds..

But if you think "casual golf" rules will speed up play or legitimize rules for casual players then I think you are mistaken. Slow players are just slow regardless of what rules are in place, and the game is self-regulating so casual players will make up their own rules regardless of what TGC or anyone else might tell them.

Thread Information