100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Andru

My Shot: Hank Haney

I've gained a bit of respect for him after reading this. He's a stand up guy.
    I'd even consider taking a lesson from him

http://www.golfdigest.com/features/i...505myshot.html

3 Iron TheBananaSlice is on a distinguished road
    On www.4gea.com there was a rant by Kip (Big Break II Winner) whining and complaining about Haney's comments concerning the big break. However, I agree with you. The article does make you respect Haney. (And he is right concerning the big break. Kip was terrible, so many bad iron shots and so few fairways hit in the last episode...When does his reality check begin? Sometime in June I think)

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    i gotta disagree with you guys. I think Haney is only gettin the press because of Tiger, he is using this fact to endorse himself. I am not saying that its wrong, that's what put Butch to #1 on the list but I really see him as a guy that seems to like to take shots at others. I don't understand why he took a shot at the Big Break. Of course Kip is not gonna win, or else he wouldn't need to get a Big Break. That's the idea of the show, give someone a chance to play in a PGA tour event who otherwise wouldn't get the chance. Haney is just riding on Tiger's coattails until he dump him.

beatnik58
    I read the article and didn't get the sense that Haney was "taking a shot" at The Big Break. I think he was trying to say that the difference is significant between Touring Pros and talented amateurs or teaching pros. All he said was that Kip is going to have a tough time keeping up with the field. Makes sense to me.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    i gotta disagree with you guys. I think Haney is only gettin the press because of Tiger, he is using this fact to endorse himself. I am not saying that its wrong, that's what put Butch to #1 on the list but I really see him as a guy that seems to like to take shots at others. I don't understand why he took a shot at the Big Break. Of course Kip is not gonna win, or else he wouldn't need to get a Big Break. That's the idea of the show, give someone a chance to play in a PGA tour event who otherwise wouldn't get the chance. Haney is just riding on Tiger's coattails until he dump him.
    At Hank's request, Tiger withheld the details of their relationship for almost a year. That doesn't sound like a guy chasing cameras and the microphone.

the article is called "My Shot" this is where you give your opinion. Kip should just go out and prove him wrong with his clubs. There's nothing sweeter than accomplishing something everyone said was impossible.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Haney is a great teacher who's quietly gone about his business for many years. The fact that Tiger sought him out is proof of his instructional ability.

If anyone should be "accused" of riding someones coattails it should be Rick Smith and Dave Pelz following Mickelson around everywhere he goes. You hardly see a camera shot without them.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Haney is a great teacher who's quietly gone about his business for many years. The fact that Tiger sought him out is proof of his instructional ability.

If anyone should be "accused" of riding someones coattails it should be Rick Smith and Dave Pelz following Mickelson around everywhere he goes. You hardly see a camera shot without them.
    I agree with you about Rick Smith, but not Dave Pelz. Pelz has been writing books that have sold millions and been a feature on the Golf Channel before he was with Mickelson and if anything, he has writing less and been on TV doing instruction less since become associated with Mickelson. Pelz has been the "unofficial" short game coach of dozens of players on tour for years!

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    The article also mentioned Hank Heney's quote that the reason he's become known due in large part of Mark O'meara...

Wasn't it a couple of years ago when rumours of Butch and Tiger splitting. Butch mentioned Tiger's been getting bad tips from O'meara and his friends that it's affecting his swing. I'm wondering if Butch Harmon knew whom the "friend" of O'meara without mentioning Heney name all along.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    I gotta agree with Andru. He sounds pretty humble, much more than B. Harmon ever was (I always found him super pompous and really a "don king" attitude about his relationship with Tiger).

And yes, I got the impression he was saying that the discrepancy between big break participants and touring pros is HUGE...and hes right...none of the BB contestants have incredible game.

On an aside, did the men of BB and BBII get PGA exemptions? I thought it was a lower tour...

Andru
    BB I was the canadian Tour, BB II is the nationwide tour, BB 4 will be the european tour. That will be fun to watch

Pitching Wedge shankenstein is on a distinguished road
    I've liked most of what I've read and heard about Hank Haney, but after reading a quote in this month's golf digest I'm not too sure what to think anymore. When asked if buying new clubs would help a person's game get better, he said that the short answer is yes.
    I don't know if golf digest misquoted him or if more detail was required, or maybe
    it was taken out of context, but that sounded like an excuse to sell clubs.
    Throwing new clubs at a bad swing will just produce more expensive bad shots.
    Clubfitting is a different story, but that wasn't mentioned in the quote.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    He probably meant the technology of the new clubs. Things are more forgiving and are easier for the average golfer to get the ball airborne and stuff like that. There is also offset, larger heads, weight displacement...you get the picture

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I would like to see the extended answer to that question. But I am sure dbleber is correct. He probably meant all the technology available today can improve your game (to a point, very small point).

Sand Wedge SwingGuru is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    I've gained a bit of respect for him after reading this. He's a stand up guy.
    I'd even consider taking a lesson from him

http://www.golfdigest.com/features/i...505myshot.html

Great article, thanks for posting it.
    [url="http://www.swingsensations.com"]http://www.swingsensations.com[/url]

Get your game online....

Thread Information