100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ruling?

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Me neither!

Golf Canada Rules Official L3 tyorke2 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    I for one am very glad we have ROs here helping everyone understand the rules. Not sure where the 'looking down' comment comes from. Seems that sometimes people are only happy if the news (ruling) is what they want to hear. Sometimes the cry of 'unfair' sounds like an attempt to gather support for not following a rule. Still the rules are the rules, like them or not.
    Great point. The only reason we learn the rules is so that we can help the players. Our goal is NOT to prove our intelligence.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Me neither!
    So how do you know what the rules really are?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Why do you need to own a rule book to know the rules?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    In ten years of playing I've been in one situation where I didn't know how the rules were applied. I don't need a rule book in my bag. I'd like to see a poll of how many golfers carry a rule book and refer to it during a round. I've never seen a player pull out one in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    Why do you need to own a rule book to know the rules?
    You don't but I'm curious about how someone learns the rule that applies to situation without owning or having access to the book. How do they keep up with new or revised rules or decisions?

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    You don't but I'm curious about how someone learns the rule that applies to situation without owning or having access to the book. How do they keep up with new or revised rules or decisions?
    The internet, pretty sure any changes will be updated there before the newest edition comes out in print.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    That's one way:

http://www.usga.org/rules/Additional...Notifications/

ADDITIONAL RULES NOTIFICATIONS

The Rules are reviewed jointly by the USGA and The R&A Rules Limited. Any proposed change must be agreed by both bodies before it can be adopted. The Rules of Golf are revised on a four-year cycle. The USGA is the governing body of golf in the United States and Mexico, while The R&A is the governing body in all other parts of the world.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    The internet, pretty sure any changes will be updated there before the newest edition comes out in print.
    If that keeps you right on top of the rules, I am impressed.

Incidentally, the printed books are published and distributed weeks before the on-line versions are updated on Jan 1 of the relevant year.

If that keeps you right on top of the rules, I am impressed.

Incidentally, the printed books are published and distributed weeks before the on-line versions are updated on Jan 1 of the relevant year.
    Good to know. But I don't play during the winter months, so really doesn't affect me.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Informal poll: what percentage of rounds played do you think are played by golfers who are playing 100 percent by the rules?

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Informal poll: what percentage of rounds played do you think are played by golfers who are playing 100 percent by the rules?
    Unless there are rules we are unaware of, which is totally possible, due to the ambiguity of some rulings, and the fact there are so many sections and sub sections, I'll vote for 100% by the rules from everyone I play with.

I'm lucky enough to play with jvincent and mjf, who seem to know even what text font, or print size the rule book is printed in.

So if I ever need clarification, I ask them.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    That's not the question. Of all rounds of golf played on a given day, (not with your friends, or at your club, or even in your city) how many are played 100 percent by the rules?

That's a pretty stupid question then. One that cannot be answered. How the hell would we know how golfers play the game, except for who we actually see? HAHA!

You may as well ask how many stars are in the sky...

If you're trying to prove the point that not many people play 100% by the rules, I don't know how we could come to that conclusion without evaluating every game of golf on earth.....Not really a question that a poll result would prove either way...

In the end, we should not chastise anyone for not knowing the rules 100%. As long as they are enjoying themselves playing the game, and people continue to take up the sport.

It's no secret that golf is hurting, and the last thing we need to do, is drive people away from the enjoyment, by shoving rule books down their throat.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    In the end, we should not chastise anyone for not knowing the rules 100%. As long as they are enjoying themselves playing the game, and people continue to take up the sport.

It's no secret that golf is hurting, and the last thing we need to do, is drive people away from the enjoyment, by shoving rule books down their throat.
    No one is chastising people for not "knowing the rules 100%". On the contrary. We who know the rules at an advanced level encourage everyone to take the opportunity to expand their knowledge in order to get the most they can out of playing this great game. If someone chooses to not take advantage of the readily available resources to do this (print, internet, etc.) that's their issue. Do I lose any sleep over that? No. But I also think that it's 100% inexcusable to take a stance from an uninformed position by painting a rule as "stupid" just because you don't understand it, or worse, don't even take the time to try to understand. That's just out and out lazy.

Do I know and understand every rule 100%? No. But I ask questions if I need clarification. Do I think that the rules could be revisited periodically to explore areas of change and improvement? Absolutely. And i'll make those suggestions if I feel that they may have some merit. However, in either case, I'm damn sure that I have my together before I go asking, and not just storm in and sit in the middle of the floor with a lip on and and cry "just because".

If people have something constructive to bring to the discussion, with a reasonable range of thoughts to back up their claim, come on in. If not, stop wasting everyone's time.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    No one is chastising people for not "knowing the rules 100%". On the contrary. We who know the rules at an advanced level encourage everyone to take the opportunity to expand their knowledge in order to get the most they can out of playing this great game. If someone chooses to not take advantage of the readily available resources to do this (print, internet, etc.) that's their issue. Do I lose any sleep over that? No. But I also think that it's 100% inexcusable to take a stance from an uninformed position by painting a rule as "stupid" just because you don't understand it, or worse, don't even take the time to try to understand. That's just out and out lazy.

Do I know and understand every rule 100%? No. But I ask questions if I need clarification. Do I think that the rules could be revisited periodically to explore areas of change and improvement? Absolutely. And i'll make those suggestions if I feel that they may have some merit. However, in either case, I'm damn sure that I have my together before I go asking, and not just storm in and sit in the middle of the floor with a lip on and and cry "just because".

If people have something constructive to bring to the discussion, with a reasonable range of thoughts to back up their claim, come on in. If not, stop wasting everyone's time.
    I'm fairly certain you wrote, that if people don't know the two rules you quoted, they shouldn't be playing golf.

In any case. I've already made my point. And we can move on now.

Also, if you feel this is a waste of your time, feel free to move along to another thread, and ignore this one. ;-)

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    Unless there are rules we are unaware of, which is totally possible, due to the ambiguity of some rulings, and the fact there are so many sections and sub sections, I'll vote for 100% by the rules from everyone I play with.
    Some rules are ambiguous? Which ones?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post

No ambiguity here.

Thread Information