100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    blur13

Bunker Play Question

While playing out of the bunker (at least trying to play out), I cannot seem to get consistant results. The people I golf with keep telling me to do different things to correct this, and they are always conflicting.

Short of getting specific lessons in the sand, does anyone have any quick tips/hints, as to swing speed, line, where to hit the sand etc, that may help this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Here's what works for me...

Open your stance to almost 45 degrees from the target. Open your clubface about 45degrees from the stance, i.e. your clubface is now pointing at the target. Swing along the line of your stance, i.e. 45 degreees away from the target, hit 2" behind the ball and follow through. The ball will come out every time and with spin.

After you get the basics, practice with less open stances/clubface angles to hit straigher but more running shots.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    The biggest factor in success from the bunker is practice. You have to have fairly good form, but the worlds best bunker players spend hours and hours practicing from bunkers.

The biggest problem is the consistency of the sand. You will find a big range of feel in bunkers around town. The biggest difficulty you will find is assessing how hard or soft and how deep or shallow the sand is on your shot.

Bunkers at Manderley often feel like pavement (especially at number four beside the green). Bunkers at Stonebridge almost get the ball out for you, it's like hitting off a cloud.

What you need is to practice from the type of bunkers that you're going to be playing from. If you play in the west end, the 19th tee has a bunker that has sand that's very much like the sand at most of the courses in the west end, like Canadian, Irish, Loch March and others.

The basic principle of bunker play is to slide the club under the ball, which blasts the sand and it's the sand that carries the ball up and onto the green. You will open and close the clubface based on the type of shot you need and how deep the ball is in the bunker. The more you practice this, the better you will understand what happens for each type of lie and shot.

Irish Hills has a great setup. You can buy a bucket of range balls and bring them out to the short game area beside the range. They have a cut green and a pair of bunkers, and the sand is very similar to the sand on the course. Be patient. Your improvement will come slowly at first. Gradually you will feel how it feels to spank the sand and slide the club under the ball. Finally, remember that even the pros only save from the sand about 50% to 65% of the time.

As you begin hitting shots, you will begin to understand how the bounce (the thick part of the clubhead) affects how the club acts as it passes under the ball. The more you open the clubface (turn it clockwise if you're a righty), the more bounce you have and the more the club slide through the sand without digging in. The more square you have the clubface, the more the club will dig down into the sand and get out the deeper balls. You will need to adjust your stance for how open or closed you set your clubface. With practice you will learn how much.

good luck
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Sand Wedge michaeld is on a distinguished road

followup on ball position

I think it is important to look at where your club enters the sand. It should always be close to the centre of your stance. Therefore, the ball should be placed forward of centre.

Quiet lower body, don't drive the hips or reverse pivot.

Keep your weight a bit favouring the left leg (for righties). Pick up the club a bit steep, use a full swing. Spank it out!

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    It is sooo difficult to explain to someone how to hit a certain shot without actually being with them during practice. As in any shot, there is no one way on how to do it correctly. The shot you need to play will depend on a lot of factors such a lie, plugged or not, slope, type of sand, distance of sand shot etc.. You never play the same shot every time you are in a bunker.

Practice makes perfect. As other have suggested, go to your locak driving range or local course and practice. There is no real easy, quick fix solution.

Thread Information