CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
    Sand Wedge hks8888 is on a distinguished road
    I got email, too. It includes a personalized coupon code for $500 discount. That means one coupon is only valid for one purchase.
    Now, it is my turn to act. $500 discount is good enough for me to go ahead and buy this without seeing user reviews.

3 Wood northgolf is on a distinguished road
    I got my email as well, I'm on the fence.

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    There are apparently a few people who wait in long queues to buy a product if it says (compatible with) Apple!

This is a launch monitor that does not connect to anything that most of the general public (I'll admit to being one) has available to them!

I'll apologize for my diatribe. I am ecstatic that I got off the fence today and bought a ProTee sim!

Right now the SkyTrak is looking more and more like a "brick" - those in the IT world know what that means.

BTW - I got my e-mail today as well that also confirmed that I can get $500 off a product that connects to - wait for it -Ipads! Whoopee! Was not impressed - obviously!

Snarkily, my 2 cents!

Gap Wedge m3w is on a distinguished road
    Has anyone from Canada been able to place an order though?

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by hks8888 View Post
    I got email, too. It includes a personalized coupon code for $500 discount. That means one coupon is only valid for one purchase.
    Now, it is my turn to act. $500 discount is good enough for me to go ahead and buy this without seeing user reviews.
    Ever hear of "MAIL MERGE" - there's no such thing as "personalized" anymore. They want to create interest in a product that doesn't have a real purpose! It only connects to IPads. Not to any other technology. It should be on sale at the "Apple Store" or whatever they're called these days.

Sorry - this is not a simulator. It's a "practice aid" - that's what SkyTraks own web page calls it.

My 2 cents!

Putter wee988 is on a distinguished road
    My question for bubb and zmax is how does the skytrak compare to using gc2 in range mode? I have virtually 0$ invested in an indoor practice aid/simulator. I was close to pulling the trigger on the gc2 but total cost (net,computer, software gets up near 10000 quickly. Setting up skytrak would end up around 3000. Would likely hit balls just like at the range during the winter. Skytrak does sound like it could meet my desire to practice. Would love simulation as well but could use the extra thousands to go to a local facility and pay by the hour to play pebble. Thoughts guys?

Putter mayassa is on a distinguished road
    If its based on taking pictures like the CG2, does it have a flash? How would you replace it when it goes bad? The more I looked at this the more doubts I've had. By the time a sim package comes out it will be spring and I will be glad I passed on this (or I will be a fool , If everything works out with my job next week I'm picking up a CG2 with a course bundle.

7 Wood Msuzippy is on a distinguished road
    Don't waste your money on Foresight courses. Buy Protee 2.0.

Putter GmanJeff is on a distinguished road GmanJeff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wee988 View Post
    My question for bubb and zmax is how does the skytrak compare to using gc2 in range mode? I have virtually 0$ invested in an indoor practice aid/simulator. I was close to pulling the trigger on the gc2 but total cost (net,computer, software gets up near 10000 quickly. Setting up skytrak would end up around 3000. Would likely hit balls just like at the range during the winter. Skytrak does sound like it could meet my desire to practice. Would love simulation as well but could use the extra thousands to go to a local facility and pay by the hour to play pebble. Thoughts guys?
    Makes sense to me.

If your goal is a simulator, this doesn't pretend to be one, at least not yet. If your goal to get feedback regarding your swing, this seems like a cost-effective alternative which requires no add-on peripherals or specialized lighting, and little to adjust or configure.

If it offers simulator functionality in the future, bonus.

Putter ghopper8 is on a distinguished road
    I'm still on the fence about this, I just something to fix my swing since I'm a high handicap player.
    Anyway I have 2 for the discount codes, if anyone wants one PM me.

8 Iron DFDubb is on a distinguished road
    I see that statement a lot on here and it irks the piss out of me. A launch monitor (no matter how accurate) does nothing to "fix" your swing. As a high hcp, your thousands upon thousands of dollars are much more wisely spent with an instructor.

aryantes
    Quote Originally Posted by DFDubb View Post
    I see that statement a lot on here and it irks the piss out of me. A launch monitor (no matter how accurate) does nothing to "fix" your swing. As a high hcp, your thousands upon thousands of dollars are much more wisely spent with an instructor.
    Instructor or no instructor, it doesn't change the fact that you still need to practice. And being able to practice at home does allow you a chance to fix your swing.

They aren't mutually exclusive. Really you need both, depending on what your issues are.

Putter GmanJeff is on a distinguished road GmanJeff's Avatar
    aryantes is correct. Practicing without feedback is pointless. Use of a launch monitor and use of an instructor are hardly mutually exclusive. Unless you have an instructor with you whenever you practice, you'll want feedback, especially indoors where you can't visibly track complete ball flight as you can outdoors.

Nobody is suggesting that seeing ball flight in itself corrects swing deficiencies, any more than does playing on simulated courses. It's what you do with the information you obtain from seeing how you're striking that matters, whether you self-diagnose and correct, or have a pro assisting you.

8 Iron DFDubb is on a distinguished road
    I hear ya, I'm just saying 3-10k buys a WHOLE bunch of golf lessons. If I were a high hcp or new golfer looking to improve quickly, I think you get more bang for your buck quicker going that route.

1 Iron FaultyClubs is on a distinguished road
    A good video app ($5) will do more for improvement than a $10k launch monitor, especially combined with a few lessons from a good instructor. It can be a real eye opener to see how one actually swings!

Anyway, the real driving range provides perfect ball data but not many people significantly improve despite countless hours hitting balls. Most would be better off with good club data (ie Protee) over good ball data (ie Skytrak). Although the Protee is significantly more expensive so there is a trade-off there too.

Thanks for the tips guys you are probably right, I do need more lessons. Just thinking I could have a more convenient driving range at home.

One good thing about skytrak/skypro company is that they do a great job at content marketing. There instructional videos very professional.

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    A virtual driving range at home will only make you better.

Lob Wedge DougieMN is on a distinguished road

Home driving range

I totally agree that simply whacking thousands of balls and self diagnosis in not the way to improve your game.

Golf instruction MUST be part of the solution.

Since I live in the frozen north and don't get a chance to really get serious about golf until summer(Job related) I have always wanted a way to see what the ball was really doing post hit. I have literally whacked tens of thousands of balls into a net(nearest range is 1 hr away) and basically my handicap has stayed the same and maybe even crept upward.

My golf coach is 2 hrs from me and is a Master Pro so his time doesn't come cheap. I try to see him as much as possible but sometimes work gets in the way. When I see him and we make swing changes he is of the philosophy( as am I) that it takes thousands of reps to ingrain muscle movement and sometimes more when breaking bad habits. Watching the ball fly into the net doesn't work for me. Sometimes a great feel in a ball strike doesn't produce what you think it does.

I purchased the SkyTrak in order to see what the ball is doing and in combination of Videos sent to him inbetween lessons hope that my indoor driving range is a success. Do I hope I can get some entertainment from it as a Sim? Yes, but that's a bonus as far as I'm concerned. As someone stated before when looking at Flightscope and GC2 the budget sometimes get out of whack. I'd love a more accurate and sophisticated launch monitor and may end up going that route after getting the SkyTrak but for now I'm willing to roll the dice on some cheap technology. Just my 2 cents.

p.s. I will be starting my indoor range build soon as work winds down for the fall and will be sure to post pictures.

Correct me if I'm wrong. The skytrak family could potentially be the cheapest ball and club data simulator if they integrate skypro for club data (and use a calculated putt) and skytrak for ball data. Plus with the companies strong content marketing they can create a virtual coach (and tell you how to fix your swing)
    To bad my wife has banned me from buying anything for at least the next 6 months.

Par Kball is on a distinguished road
    Bubba - are you allowed to speak about how the unit performs?

Par Kball is on a distinguished road
    What kind of lag is there from hitting the shot to seeing it on the iPad?

Sand Wedge 11bravo is on a distinguished road
    I received the email today with code for a discount. I'm not sure if I'm going to use it though until some reviews come out. I might wait past the early adopter phase or when they drop the price to 1500.00 or lower anyway..

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kball View Post
    What kind of lag is there from hitting the shot to seeing it on the iPad?
    The lag right now is not great, about 4-5 seconds with the latest software. They are in the process of improving it with. New firmware update and software update. Older update had it at 1-2 sec so I know it's a software issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kball View Post
    Bubba - are you allowed to speak about how the unit performs?

The unit performs well. It's not perfect but very good. The pros are it's accuracy, price and portability. The cons are putting and soft chips (although latest firmware soft chips were better), lack of simulation and lack of pc and android platform. Simulation and pc/android platform will most likely come but what is unsure is when and which sim software. E6 most likely but any others? Who knows! Obviously I have not tested the simulator component. The weakest measurements are the horizontal azumuth which most floor based launch monitors tend to be weaker. The published accuracies are about right. It measures spin and spin axis well. I have tested on range, indoor against Trackman and indoors aginst ProTee. As a launch monitor it performs well. Software updates are hopefully soon to come.

Putter TorchRedRob is on a distinguished road
    I've been following this forum for years, just waiting for the right (read, "cheaper") device to be developed in order to build a basement room around it. So, I just pre-ordered this thing with the discount code. I'm excited, and hopefully time will prove this to be a wise purchase. If not, I can always sell and save up for a used GC2 in the future.

Also, FWIW, I had an email conversation with someone from Rapsodo regarding android and windows. I was told that SkyGolf has everything they need from Rapsodo in order to create android and windows applications for the device, saying that it is technically possible to have android and windows applications function with the hardware.

When I receive it, I'll be sure to post pics, review, etc.

Sand Wedge hks8888 is on a distinguished road
    I pre-ordered it with a discount coupon. I trust bubba22 and ZMAX for the performance of Skytrak. I am not expecting this to produce the same accuracy and the same amount of data as $10,000-20,000 devices. Fair and consistent accuracy regarding ball flights would be enough for me.

I plan to use it for my indoor practice. (Building a sim is not my interest for now.) No need of traveling to an outdoor range is appealing to me. Especially in cold weather through late fall, winter and early spring. Getting lessons from a good teaching pro might be the best way regarding improvement, but it is just not my style.

Sand Wedge 11bravo is on a distinguished road
    I wonder why they didn't wait until this was working with a pc laptop??

Lob Wedge Nodeurs is on a distinguished road Nodeurs's Avatar
    It's great to see that things are moving. I hope the skytrack will make foresight and flightscope change their pricing strategy. (i know, i am a dreamer)

Bubba22, do you know if what Ghopper8 propose (to combine skypro and skytrack) is studied by skygolf ?

WL77
    This is my first post to this forum - my apologies for the length. Thank you for all the good information here, I find it extremely useful.

The 2 features I find very attractive about the SkyTrak are portability and the simplicity of an iPad app. I am looking forward to hopefully more sophisticated PC and SIM applications though, but realize this may significantly add to the total cost. For a novice like myself a simple app is appealing though.

From a budget/ pricepoint I am (or was) also interested in the Golfachiever II or GA-Xs systems - knowing these are quite different from the SkyTrak. Unfortunately I cannot find much information or reviews on them, and hope someone here might be able to help. GA now offers an all inclusive package that includes video analysis and simulator software (45+ courses) for $3K. If you use your own mat/ "platform set" the price for the package could come down to $1.7K (e-mail quote from sales representative in US). I believe this is much lower than what GA was selling for years ago.

My question is, does this lower price point and included software package turn the Golfachiever into a viable SkyTrak competitor? In theory it offers a lot more for less - it offers both ball and club tracking data and I think putting and chipping is possible. And the included software package looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodeurs View Post
    It's great to see that things are moving. I hope the skytrack will make foresight and flightscope change their pricing strategy. (i know, i am a dreamer)

Bubba22, do you know if what Ghopper8 propose (to combine skypro and skytrack) is studied by skygolf ?
    Have not heard any plans as of yet. I personally don't trust the data with the club attachment devices.

Thread Information