+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: High end balls

beatnik58

High end balls

Pro V 1X vs DT?
    Nike One vs Nike Distance
    etc.

How much difference in terms of distance/control?

Worth the price?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Assuming you generate decent clubhead speed, there is a big difference in the spin of the "tour" balls and the "distance" balls. It's most noticeable on short chips / pitches.

As to whether it's worth it, try a sleeve and see if you like them. Personally, I can't stand the ProV1. They spin way too much for my game.

"Richard"
    I can't tell the difference between range balls and normal balls. To me I'm not good enough to tell the difference. I can't put spin on balls either.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    there is a MASSIVE difference between distance balls and high end balls. I used to use the Precept Laddie and found that I couldn't put any spin on little chips around the green, especially the lob shots. I have been using the Nike One Black and noticed that i am considerably mre consistent with chips/pitches because i can actually regulate how much spin i put on the ball.

"Richard"
    so if I switch balls my score will go down?

Not necessarily. The most important thing you can do is play the same type / brand of ball. That way you will get to know how it plays on short shots, etc. One you get better, i.e. can shoot in the 80's, you'll probably notice a difference in a performance ball.

You should note that there are plenty of affordable balls that spin quite well. I've been playing the Strata Tour Premier and I get all the spin I need / want.

"Richard"
    what are some really cheap balls that are good? Last year i was buying some Titanium HS or something like that balls but they suck, they cut so easily. I remember once I hit one with a sandwedge and there was a big gash on the side of the ball

Want good but also cheap balls. Found some at wallmart the other day for $7 bucks but don't know if they are any good. Bought them anyway, will find out tomorrow I guess

As far as cheap balls that have decent spin, pretty much any of the two-piece Topflite spin balls (XL3000, Infinity) are good bets.

I'm sure there are others but I know those are good value. For a little more money, with some extra performance, I'll recommend the Strata Tour Premier again.

"Richard"
    how much?

7 Iron HiG4s is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    As far as cheap balls that have decent spin, pretty much any of the two-piece Topflite spin balls (XL3000, Infinity) are good bets.

I'm sure there are others but I know those are good value. For a little more money, with some extra performance, I'll recommend the Strata Tour Premier again.
    That is what I use, xl3000 and Infinity,, because they are cheap but don't feel like total rocks on and around the green. But I like Titlist DT better.

Still haven't been able to justify the price on Titelist ProV1x or Precept U-tri tour which in the following show both best for distance and still have good spin..

http://www.golfballtest.com/index.ph...istance%20DESC

Maybe when I break into the 80s I will reward my self with some better balls.

I haven't checked recently but I think you can get the Strata's for $25 / dozen.

"Richard"
    thats to much for me considering I'll lose most of them anyway. I guess I can just use a crappy ball on water holes and on holes with narrow fairways.

I think you can pick up Precept Laddies for like $17/dozen. I played these balls all of last year and they are great, don't cut or scuff very easiely. Not quite as good as the HX tours and Nike ONe's but they are def in the group between these balls and the TopFlite XL300;s

beatnik58
    Callaway Warbirds, Strata Ti Distance and Nike Double C Distance balls can all be had for $17 a dozen.

I prefer the Callaways. They do seem to have a little extra punch off the club (and the logo is cool).

beatnik58
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    there is a MASSIVE difference between distance balls and high end balls. I used to use the Precept Laddie and found that I couldn't put any spin on little chips around the green, especially the lob shots. I have been using the Nike One Black and noticed that i am considerably mre consistent with chips/pitches because i can actually regulate how much spin i put on the ball.
    Do you sacrifice distance for feel with the Nike One Blacks?

"Richard"
    has anyone played those intech balls at wallmart? They are non-conforming (illegal) they are a little smaller and heavier so when you hit them they really take off. I can hit one about 20yard past a legal ball but I don't use them anymore since we play a $1 a hole now

Nike One Golf Balls

Quote Originally Posted by beatnik58
    Do you sacrifice distance for feel with the Nike One Blacks?
    Actually to tell you the truth i think i have gained some distance! The Nike One Black is the longer of the two versions. The only problem with the ball is that it scuffs from my wedges because they are super sharp. I am trying the Cally HX Tour in the next couple of days and will let you know how they are.

. I am trying the Cally HX Tour in the next couple of days and will let you know how they are.
    When I tried them I found the HX Tours are really "clanky" off of short irons and the putter.

When I tried them I found the HX Tours are really "clanky" off of short irons and the putter.
    what kind of irons do you play? Forged or cast? I know that the type of material your irons are made of will affect how the ball feels. I just bought a box to try and see how they were, i am really impressed with the NIke One Black except for the fact that after the round they look like they are completely scuffed.

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    I play the HX Tour and the NXT.... you're right that the HX Tour is clanky with slower swing speed...

The NXT is a good alternative to the ProV1 I think. Less spin, same distance
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    I've started experimenting with different mid-range balls last year and what I found is that pretty much any 3-piece ball would spin much better than a 2-piece. It looks like the extra layer helps control the spin off the longer clubs, so they can get away with using a softer cover, resulting in better spin around the greens.

As for specific ones, I really liked Maxfli M3 and Precept U-tri Tour. M3 can be had pretty cheap if you can find them, usually $20 per dozen. Precepts spin and feel better around the greens, but are a bit more expensive ($30-40).

This year Pro Golf is blowing out Dunlop Moebius for $20 a box, so I've been using those so far. Nice and soft on the greens, thanks to a urethane cover, but somewhat short off the tee.

I find that playing with a better ball helped my short game a lot. It's really hard to imagine what you can do on the green if the ball won't take the spin.

When I go for a round, I usually take a sleeve of decent balls and start with them. If I loose them all and am not having a promising round, I'll switch to Dunlop LoCo or DDH. Those can be had for about a buck a ball, so I don't care if I loose a truckload

There, stream of conciousness is exhasted

Cheer,
    Krolik.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    has anyone played those intech balls at wallmart? They are non-conforming (illegal) they are a little smaller and heavier so when you hit them they really take off. I can hit one about 20yard past a legal ball but I don't use them anymore since we play a $1 a hole now
    Your best bet might be to get a "AAA-condition" pre-owned ball. It's a cheap way to gauge what balls work best for your game. Last year I picked up a bunch for about $12 per dozen... Everything ranging from ProV1x to Nike Spin, to Nike Distance, to Maxfli A-10...

I can sympathize with losing balls. It used to be more costly than the golf itself for me. But getting on to a ball that works for my game (I switch between the Callaway Warbird and Titleist DT So/Lo) has helped build some consistency and predictability in my game...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Your best bet might be to get a "AAA-condition" pre-owned ball. It's a cheap way to gauge what balls work best for your game. Last year I picked up a bunch for about $12 per dozen... Everything ranging from ProV1x to Nike Spin, to Nike Distance, to Maxfli A-10...

I can sympathize with losing balls. It used to be more costly than the golf itself for me. But getting on to a ball that works for my game (I switch between the Callaway Warbird and Titleist DT So/Lo) has helped build some consistency and predictability in my game...

Dan
    What are the warbirds like?
    They are pretty cheap,I almost bought a box
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

beatnik58
    Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    What are the warbirds like?
    They are pretty cheap,I almost bought a box
    I really like the Warbirds. They seem to fly very true off the tee and I think I get a wee bit of extra distance.

what kind of irons do you play? Forged or cast?
    Forged cavity backs. It was most noticeable on putts and wedges, i.e. slower clubhead speed.

Driver Brent4Hire is on a distinguished road

Cheap Balls

I'm not sure how many donneros you mean by 'cheap', but if the $20 range is in your ballpark then Golftown is clearing out the Maxfli A10's for that...they are a really good feeling ball. They are long of the driver, and they spin well, but my 60* chews them up like a cheese grater. Best deal I've seen for new is at Costco...the Top Flight XL 3000 Super Spins are $22 for 24 new balls...that's not bad. The have the Super Long and Super Straight, but the Spins are a better feeling ball, and they don't spin that much...not like the A10 or the Pro-V 1. I hit a Nike One the other day...what a beast! I found a diving place here in Montreal that sells salvaged balls...think I might try to get a dozen to try out.
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, ya might as well dance.

"Richard"
    when i say cheap I mean i want to pay $6 for 15 balls. Walmart is selling used balls in good condition or $5 right now. Top flight, strata and other big names. Mixed lots

Sand Wedge davemiddle is on a distinguished road
    when asking about what balls are best-

it brings to mind a program from the golf channel with garry player, now i know he is into positive attitude and the like - but his comments can be summed up inthat whatever feels comfortable and what ever you like is what you should play as far as clubs and balls go -as he stared if you don't like the look of you ball or your club no matter how good the clubs or balls are you will not likely play well if you don't like the looks of them- as most people can attest to confidence and attidude is one of the most important part of palying well

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    when i say cheap I mean i want to pay $6 for 15 balls. Walmart is selling used balls in good condition or $5 right now. Top flight, strata and other big names. Mixed lots
    Those could be pond balls from over the winter, or any other crap... The problem with that is that you get ZERO accuracy in terms of figuring out what ball suits your game.

It's fine if you're willing to be a "noob" golfer this season and work out the swing and other such basics. But judging from a lot of your questions, you have a keen interest in improving, and consistency seems to be the key to that. Using the SAME kind of ball on every hole (from new condition, or AAA+ condition) will give you a sense if you should be using a spin ball, high trajectory ball (whatever that is), a distance ball....

Realistically speaking, I'm fairly sure it doesn't make any noticeable difference to anyone not in single-digit handicaps unless they're taking the whole thing a bit too seriously...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

"Richard"
    hey dan, I'm getting better. I shot a 96 today at the canadian. i was really happy with that. Its my bunker play and my short game that is killing me. Something i have no clue how far something else. One of the holes at the canadian today.. I pulled out a 4 iron and hit it about 190, dead straight.. the probem was that I only need to go about 165 to have a clear shot around the dog leg and at the hole. Lost my ball in some trees. I have no clue how to tell how far soemthing is if there is no white stick up ahead. If the hole is 360 and I can see the white stick then I know I'm still 210 to the white stick. But under 100 yards, I have no clue where I am. I just swing and hope I'm close. I am not to worried about balls right now, althought I did play the whole round with only 5 balls

Thread Information