100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Substituted Ball

Rule 6-5 ball states, "The responsibility for playing the proper ball rests with the player. Each player SHOULD put an identification mark on his ball."

At the start of a tournament round we always state what ball we are using and show our identifying mark. It is my habit to always inform my FC's when I change balls and what the information about the new ball is. What happens if a player substitutes another ball on a subsequent teeing ground, and does not tell anyone that he has changed balls? Say his fellow competitor finds this substituted ball in the trees after an errant shot and states something like, "Here is a PROV1 with a green dot, but you were playing a Strata with 2 blue dots."

Any consequences?

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Rule 6-5 ball states, "The responsibility for playing the proper ball rests with the player. Each player SHOULD put an identification mark on his ball."

At the start of a tournament round we always state what ball we are using and show our identifying mark. It is my habit to always inform my FC's when I change balls and what the information about the new ball is. What happens if a player substitutes another ball on a subsequent teeing ground, and does not tell anyone that he has changed balls? Say his fellow competitor finds this substituted ball in the trees after an errant shot and states something like, "Here is a PROV1 with a green dot, but you were playing a Strata with 2 blue dots."

Any consequences?
    I am not exactly sure what you mean by "any consequences"?

It is the player's responsibility to identify his ball, not yours.
    If the player identifies the ball in question as his, then it is his.

Perhaps you should say:
    "I found a ball. What are you playing?" or;
    "I found a ball, but it can't be yours because it is a not a Strata with 2 blue dots"

You are not required to help him look for his ball, so you could avoid the problem completely by letting him find his own ball.

If the fellow-competitor is not in the habit of informing you when he changes balls, you could always ask him on every tee before he tees off.

FYI - A ball CANNOT be identified solely by scuff marks, grass stains, discolouring, etc.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Hey Gary
    while your at it, can you tell me about ball brands. This came up in another forum. Do you have to use the same brand of ball? I know that the big tours have this as a local rule but what about in OVGA / GAO and amateur tournaments here? Thanks
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    Hey Gary
    while your at it, can you tell me about ball brands. This came up in another forum. Do you have to use the same brand of ball? I know that the big tours have this as a local rule but what about in OVGA / GAO and amateur tournaments here? Thanks
    A player may use any brand at any time the Rules allow a ball to be substituted (on each teeing ground, when you loose one in the drink, etc).

However, the Committee may prohibit changing brands and types of golf balls during a stipulated round. This must be explicitly stated as a Condition of the Competition on the Local Rules.

I am not aware of this Local Rule being used by the OVGA or other amateur tournaments.
    This Local Rule IS in effect for the CPGA Ottawa Zone Tournaments.

"Richard"
    I was watching TV the other day and I thought I heard the guy say the balls have to be the same. You cant play a new verson of a ball and an old version of the same brand if there is even the slightest difference in the logo markings. Not sure what the context was though

Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    I was watching TV the other day and I thought I heard the guy say the balls have to be the same. You cant play a new verson of a ball and an old version of the same brand if there is even the slightest difference in the logo markings. Not sure what the context was though
    The guys on TV have to play the same ball. (PGA Tour Local Rule).

YOU don't.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Thanks Gary
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Thread Information