CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar

Golfers who enter incorrect scores for handicap...

Are losers....

So I have a list of players on my Golf Canada page, that I added to my list, so when we have matches, it's easy for me to look at their index before our round, and know how many strokes I have to give, or how many I get.

Today, I was looking at a guy on my list. He will remain unnamed, but he JUST played with me as a guest last Sunday at my club. He shot an 83, yet put a 78 into the system as his score.

Then he played in the OVGA, and shot 82 and 89, yet entered 78 and 82.

How many of you play with donkeys like this? Are people THAT self-conscious, that they need to put lower scores in the system, and have their index low?

Major loser move in my opinion....Makes you wonder if the index system is even legit...

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    If he's playing you in a match he's only hurting himself by putting lower scores in and means that you'll get more strokes and take him down sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    If he's playing you in a match he's only hurting himself by putting lower scores in and means that you'll get more strokes and take him down sooner.
    Of course...I just find it ridiculous that people do that in the first place.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I think it's an ego thing and they want the lower handicap. I know a few players that do the same thing. I'd rather he does that and hurts himself than just put the higher scores in which happens way too much. They then go in tournaments and shoot their normal lower score and walk off with the awards. I think they're called a sandbagger

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Tournament scores do sometimes end up being entered lower in the handicap system because of ESC.

I've carded 8s and 9s in tournaments that end up as 6s for handicapping purposes.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    Are losers....

So I have a list of players on my Golf Canada page, that I added to my list, so when we have matches, it's easy for me to look at their index before our round, and know how many strokes I have to give, or how many I get.

Today, I was looking at a guy on my list. He will remain unnamed, but he JUST played with me as a guest last Sunday at my club. He shot an 83, yet put a 78 into the system as his score.

How many of you play with donkeys like this? Are people THAT self-conscious, that they need to put lower scores in the system, and have their index low?

Major loser move in my opinion....Makes you wonder if the index system is even legit...
    What's his handicap? If his course handicap is 9 or less, the most he can take for a hole is 2 over par. Triples and quads become doubles in the system.

Were his scores attested either by you or someone else? The OVGA tournament scores would definitely be attested. You can always report the scores as inaccurate if you think they're wrong. It's a peer review system for a reason.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Tournament scores do sometimes end up being entered lower in the handicap system because of ESC.

I've carded 8s and 9s in tournaments that end up as 6s for handicapping purposes.
    Yes, you're right.

But I'm 99% sure there were not four triples when he shot 83 with me.

I'm a 3.3 and can still take a double as far as ESC is concerned.

In any case. I don't care to challenge anyone's scores. I just find it ridiculous that people put lower scores in to boot their egos.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Feather bagger is the name

Giving you strokes is my game

You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    feather bagger is the name

giving you strokes is my game

haha!

8 Iron zee51 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    I think it's an ego thing and they want the lower handicap. I know a few players that do the same thing. I'd rather he does that and hurts himself than just put the higher scores in which happens way too much. They then go in tournaments and shoot their normal lower score and walk off with the awards. I think they're called a sandbagger
    Worse is that in intersectional play players like this are a detriment to their club because they ending up playing wrong player due to artificially low hcp.

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road
    Gotta say, this is new to me. Usually the 'Vanity Cappers' only put in their good scores and 'forget' to put in their bad ones. I haven't noticed the fraudulent entry, but i haven't really been looking.
    Gimmie: agreement to concede short putts between 2 golfers, neither of which can putt very well.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by zee51 View Post
    Worse is that in intersectional play players like this are a detriment to their club because they ending up playing wrong player due to artificially low hcp.
    I thought the order in inter-sectional play was determined by your standing in the qualifying rounds rather than your handicap?

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I thought the order in inter-sectional play was determined by your standing in the qualifying rounds rather than your handicap?
    No, regardless of how you qualify, your team is reordered by handicap. Highest caps go out first, lowest caps last.
    Gimmie: agreement to concede short putts between 2 golfers, neither of which can putt very well.

Bouche
    Quote Originally Posted by Shreen View Post
    No, regardless of how you qualify, your team is reordered by handicap. Highest caps go out first, lowest caps last.
    This promotes Hollywood golfers! People start throwing in false scores to get lower and in the end would only hurt their team.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Are losers....

This guy was your guest? I'm guessing whatever friendship/partnership that had existed is now over.....?

Regarding the subject, I do see this same issue. Heck, I'm the worst five handicap in the world and am often embarrassed by my cap. I attribute it to playing nine hole games, playing by myself in the morning or after dinner, when there's no pressure and I set the pace. For example, I've twice played nine holes this year in 45 minutes or less, shooting 38 or better. Then I play Saturday afternoon when it's slow (4:10 - yes, at a private course that's slow) and shoot 81. I have just enough low scores to bring me down to a five cap. Anyway, enough about me. So long as people fudge down (vanity) and not sandbag, I really don't care.

Lastly, I know you're not talking about me, but I did just adjust two scores that were entered by the club. Neither reflected my stroke allowance.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I just find it ridiculous that people put lower scores in to boot their egos.
    I know a guy who always play blue tees but he enters his scores as if he played the tips. lol. Also know a guy who doesnt enter non-tournament rounds unless he breaks 80.

Do I care? No. It does however speak volumes about these people's character. If they dont follow the rules of a game, what rules are they breaking in other parts of their lives?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    I know a guy who always play blue tees but he enters his scores as if he played the tips. lol. Also know a guy who doesnt enter non-tournament rounds unless he breaks 80.

Do I care? No. It does however speak volumes about these people's character. If they dont follow the rules of a game, what rules are they breaking in other parts of their lives?
    In general, people who enter incorrect scores to lower their cap, have a complex issue in real life.

I don't really see the point in it, other than if people are trying to make themselves SEEM like a better golfer than they are.

As mentioned above, it just ends up hurting them in competition, like Club Championship etc.

I'd hate to be playing in the A, if I was a B Flight player.

In any case...To each their own I guess.

Thread Information