100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

Can someone help me with picking some wedges???

I'm looking for a gap, sand and lob. I have no clue which ones to get. WHat bounce do I get? I need to get them asap. HELP!!!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    It sounds like you want Gap-52, Sand-56, Lob-60 wedges, which would be my recommendation.

Bounce is something that is somewhat of a personal preference. Most people tend to have their SW with high bounce, 12 deg as an example, and the others low bounce. High bounce angles are harder to hit from tight lies, i.e. fairway or closely mown fringe, so if you like hitting SW from those kinds of lies you might consider one with less bounce.

My best advice, is to stroll the wedge aisle at Golftown and see which ones you like the look / feel of in your price range.

One other thing to consider, is that in sunny conditions a chrome wedge will often shine right into your eyes. I switched to rusty steel wedges because of this.

"Richard"
    Hmmmm, I have no clue how to pick. I need to try them outside but I dont think golftown would let me take the clubs out for a spin

"Richard"
    I was thinking about the ping tour series or the ping MB series. Maybe even the g2 wedges??? Anyone know anything about them? THe tour ones are heavier.. thats all I know from what I was told at golftown

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    I doubt you can go wrong with any of the big names. The most popular seem to be Cleveland, Callaway and Titleist, with Ping and Taylor Made close behind. The trouble is all those wedges are small-headed blades, so they're relatively hard to hit. That shouldn't be a problem with chipping, but might provides a healthy dose of frustration on pitches and full shots. When I first got my Cleveland 588s, I've had a lot of trouble with them, and it didn't get any better until I started taking lessons and sorted out my swing to a certain degree.

I don't know how good your game is, but since you're picking wedges for the first time, I'd venture a guess that you're just starting out. If that is the case, you might want to try some of the oversized cavity-backs until your swing is somewhat consistent. Purespin makes some nice ones, as well as lots of other lesser-known brands. You can usually find plenty of them at any decent store for a lot less than the big boys. If you want to get an idea of how hard it is to play with a blade wedge, get one of the RAM FX wedges at Canadian Tire, it's only 20-30$, but has the same type of head as the tour wedges.

Good luck,
    Krolik.

"Richard"
    I got them, I went with the PING MB series. I got the 52, 56, and 60 all black dot and white color code grips (standard and standard) so hopefully I will like them. Tried them at golf town but couldn't really get a feel for them indoors so lets see how they go. Shoulbe arriving sometime this week, Ebay rules... (only if I don't get screwed)

Thread Information