CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Im a fixture here Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar

Push Carts- When to switch from carrying to pushing

I've always carried my bag and am 31 yrs old but have always suffered from back pain due to my past sporting career. I have always enjoyed carrying my bag when I play but now find that I suffer a day or two after each round of golf with more back pain. I know carrying is not the sole reason for the pain (Twisting in spine during swing, shoe selection, uneven playing surfaces, etc also contribute somewhat). My goal has always been to carry my bag until I hit 40 yrs old but I'm seriously thinking of making the switch soon to make life easier on me.

Just wondering if there are any other Golfers in my age range who have converted to pushing their bag permanently?

I've been looking into push carts and see that Sun Mountain and Clic Gear seem to be the most highly praised. Wondering what the difference is between a 3-wheel and 4-wheel cart is? I really hope I don't need to buy one with a seat just yet! Any insight would be great. Thanks

Golf Nut sabzor is on a distinguished road
    While I can't offer my insight regarding a switch to push carting, I can say that I'm right there with you. Same age/back issues/etc. I enjoy carrying my stuff out of pure convinience. Takes up less space in the car, easy to travel with, easy to just set down wherever. I may be in the minority but I have always found that I can't make my carry bag 'light'. No matter what I do it always seems just as heavy as any fully loaded cart bag regardless of how little stuff I put in it.

I'm interested to see the responses, just seems like push carting involves just one more thing to load/set up/etc.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    well, you may not want one with a seat, but I just saw this on golftown, and I think I like it!

http://www.golftown.com/Sun-Mountain...3#.U9u4FuNdXts
    Andrew

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    I'm with you on not being able to make my bag any lighter. I feel no shame pushing my ClicGear around....I rather that then not being able to tie my own shoes.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    If you don't have a preexisting back problem you can carry for a long time.

I'm 48 and I still carry a regular sized carry bag. There's a guy at our club in his 70's who still carries a Sunday bag with a reduced set of clubs.

As far as making your bag lighter, are you sure you've emptied all the junk you don't need?
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    I made the switch 2 or 3 years back to a clicgear and a larger cart bag. It is nice to be able to have full rain gear, and lots of room for food and drink as well. I have had back problems before, and my back is much better after not carrying anymore. I'm 43, so made the switch at around 40.

Best part of the push cart is the umbrella/gps holder. Really keeps things dry if I happen to get caught out in the rain.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I made the switch 3 summers ago. It just became too tiring for me and I used to love carrying. Do it if you feel it is impeding your game. It makes a big difference on terms of energy and when the weather is sketchy you can pack what u need without worrying about weight
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I started golf when I was 40 - I''m in my 50's now. Up to this year I carried for 9-hole rounds but used a push cart for 18-hole rounds (I have a hybrid bag which can accommodate both). I found that my right shoulder got sore from loading and unloading the bag, so I've gone to the push cart for everything this year.

When I had some back issues a few years ago (sciatica), I did not carry. Most of the pain came from teeing up the ball and taking the ball out of the hole. For a while I used a ball picker on the end of my putter to take the ball out of the hole - I had to endure a few "old man" comments but it definitely helped.

IMHO the only way to significantly reduce the weight of the bag is to leave some clubs, balls and/or the umbrella in the trunk of your car. Everything else weighs next to nothing anyway.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftymoose View Post
    I've always carried my bag and am 31 yrs old but have always suffered from back pain due to my past sporting career. I have always enjoyed carrying my bag when I play but now find that I suffer a day or two after each round of golf with more back pain. I know carrying is not the sole reason for the pain (Twisting in spine during swing, shoe selection, uneven playing surfaces, etc also contribute somewhat). My goal has always been to carry my bag until I hit 40 yrs old but I'm seriously thinking of making the switch soon to make life easier on me.

Just wondering if there are any other Golfers in my age range who have converted to pushing their bag permanently?

I've been looking into push carts and see that Sun Mountain and Clic Gear seem to be the most highly praised. Wondering what the difference is between a 3-wheel and 4-wheel cart is? I really hope I don't need to buy one with a seat just yet! Any insight would be great. Thanks
    If your back is sore after 18 holes , then invest in a push cart .
    Myself and several others on this forum that I know of ,have all had back issues at one time or another , trust me its something you want to take care of sooner rather than later.
    Using a cart over walking will be the best decision you can make , when I used to carry I found that the last few holes seemed to be a bit of a struggle , but a cart is pretty effortless in comparison , other than pushing it up the odd hill.
    If your worried about being judged by having a push cart at your age , then I can assure you that it is the last thing a fellow golfer is concerned about , besides that , I've seen a ton of younger golfers with push carts , a smart choice IMO.
    And with a 3 wheeler vs a 4 wheeler , it's your choice , I went for 4 wheels because it fits in my vehicle better .
    Once you buy one , you'll wonder why you didn't make the change earlier

One last thought ... How many pros carry their bag ?
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    carry versus cart..I think as you get older, it makes sense to consider carting..at least for 18 holes, hot days, or tough terrain courses. I find the extra balls in a bag can make a HUGE difference in the weight of the bag also. I prefer carrying, but approaching 50 changes things.
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Driver Muddler is on a distinguished road
    What is the practical advantage of carrying your clubs? It doesn't burn anymore calories than walking with a pushcart and makes most people sore and tired. Ifanythi g, it probably hurts your scoring (along with your back). As someone else mentioned, Pros don't carry their bags.

Personally, I stopped carrying 5 years ago (age 32) as soon as i started playing regularly at a course that had free pull carts. I bough a giant cart bag and keep it stuffed with a dozen balls, 1.8 liters of water, a rain suit, umbrella, rain gloves, sweater, extra gloves, and never worry about the weight. I can walk 36 holes and feel fresh at the end, depending on he humidity.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    I've had some mild sciatic issues and switched to a clicgear 2-3 years ago. Makes a big difference for me trying to make good swings on the last couple holes. I also have read some studies done that pushing a cart vs carrying is worth about a stroke or two for the average golfer (probably less for in shape golfer).

http://onpar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/...-hole-debates/
    Even I've never heard of me

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    It's easy for me to decide to use a cart, when I remove all the stuff in my bag and realize that I can't carry all of it.

Thread Information