100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar

Would you be most likely to join a club if.......

Me and a couple guys were talking on Monday after our round at Outaouais, and we all wondered if Ottawa area courses were to join together with a reciprocal type of approach that if your a member at any course in Ottawa (let's say that belongs to OVGA) you would have access to all courses within the Association, you would pay to be a member at any course of your choosing with the privileges that go along with the course but you would be able to go play any course at a discount rate.

Of course you would have to label all the clubs in A B C type of categories and charge accordingly. Being a clublink member we have a small taste of this, but after playing Equinelle for the first time this weekend, and playing Outaouais for the first time in 7 years we were telling ourselves why don't we play these courses more often, the answer is quite simple when you pay $1500-$4000 for a yearly membership you don't like to fork over $50-$100 extra to play a round. But let's say I could play Loch March or Marshes or Outaouais again for $30-$40 I would definitely play a few more courses every summer.

Of course every course would have to tailor the available times based on their members demands and you would have to allow for only a certain number everyday at each course and like I said each course would have to charge appropriately. Would you not be more inclined to join a club if you had such privilege?

Ovga or whoever could charge a one time $50.00 for the card, depending on the level of the course charges could be from $20-$40 for a round, they would see their tee sheets fill up, revenue would increase across the board most people buy a beer or lunch after their round, maybe a sleeve of balls or a glove, wouldn't that be a reasonable approach to grow the game?

I don't know maybe it's not feasible, we're lucky with clublink we have a nice variety but playing those two courses gave me the taste to want to play Stonebridge again or go play Hylands or Carleton which I've never played.

What do people think, would you be more inclined to join a club if it gave you the opportunity to play a more variety of courses? I know there is EG or RM but personally I don't think it's the same as being a member somewhere.

Sorry should of put more likely in post header.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    The most revenue is gained from green few golfers. For this reason, I cannot see this happening. It's an interesting idea, but revenue would drop on too many courses.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Not exactly on topic, but I could NEVER be a member at only one course. I would be so bored!!! If I was going to join right now, I think the best option is something like Emerald/Cloverdale/Anderson which gives you a good mix of 9s at an affordable price (for me). And even then I think I might get bored.

I am amazed at how many member at various courses only play 30-40 rounds per year... The cost per round is outrageous!

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    I would definitely consider it if this were possible but it sounds far fetched.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Just join reservations masters last minute or other and you will have access to those courses within your price range:
    http://www.ottawagolf.com/component/...d=9&Itemid=130
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    There already is something like this in Ottawa through Ottawa Golf Trails. I'm a member at Greensmere, but they have banded together with a bunch of other courses to offer reciprocal rates, which are basically 30% off the primetime greenfee, with no time or spot restrictions. You can show up at any of these courses and show your member card and pay the discount rate. They also offer a public program that greenfee players can buy like Executive and Corporate, but this is a course run program, and it's included with my membership.

http://www.golftrails.ca/ottawa/courses.html

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    There already is something like this in Ottawa through Ottawa Golf Trails. I'm a member at Greensmere, but they have banded together with a bunch of other courses to offer reciprocal rates, which are basically 30% off the primetime greenfee, with no time or spot restrictions. You can show up at any of these courses and show your member card and pay the discount rate. They also offer a public program that greenfee players can buy like Executive and Corporate, but this is a course run program, and it's included with my membership.

http://www.golftrails.ca/ottawa/courses.html
    Outaouais is not part of it though
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Outaouais is not part of it though
    No, not every course in Ottawa is part of it, but it's a nice option especially if your course is booked with tournaments. I've certainly used it to play at Equinelle at a discount a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    No, not every course in Ottawa is part of it, but it's a nice option especially if your course is booked with tournaments. I've certainly used it to play at Equinelle at a discount a few times.
    Can't have it all I guess
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I remember when Executive got the Hunt Club to join back in April 1, 2011.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    If i was paying for a membership i would have a tough time paying out additional $ in green fees on a regular basis. A few times a year but that would be it. That being said I don't play enough to justify the $ spent on a membership.

I do enjoy playing the courses I like regularly and there are a select few in Ottawa I would consider joining. There aren't many I would want to play every day.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    What is the difference between what we already have EG--CG--RM etc. There are some courses that would never join simply because of their "elite standings" Personally I am happy with what is out there now---pretty good mix---serves most people I have talked to very well.

The majority of golfers are not in the "upper tiers" of income and I think the majority of courses tailor themselves to the market.

I can just hear the annual meeting with the members at the Hunt--Royal Ottawa--Rivermead etc.

Remember the thread a few years back about the fellow wearing the wrong shorts and then the wrong socks ?????
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    I am amazed at how many member at various courses only play 30-40 rounds per year... The cost per round is outrageous!
    That's because joining a private course is much more than just a cost per round calculation. Golf at a private course means that golf is not just 9 or 18 holes. If I have a spare hour I can go hit a quick bucket, play 3 or 5 or 12 holes - no problem. Or just go to the club and practice for 1/2 hour, grab a pint and shoot the sh&t with some of the guys and head home. Or just show up at 6pm and play a quick 18 in under 3 hours.

A private membership gives you much more flexibility in how you play golf. I probably play 18 holes at my course 35-45 times per year - but I go there 100+ times per year. Still many prospective members can't get past the cost per 18 holes calculation.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4jag View Post
    That's because joining a private course is much more than just a cost per round calculation. Golf at a private course means that golf is not just 9 or 18 holes. If I have a spare hour I can go hit a quick bucket, play 3 or 5 or 12 holes - no problem. Or just go to the club and practice for 1/2 hour, grab a pint and shoot the sh&t with some of the guys and head home. Or just show up at 6pm and play a quick 18 in under 3 hours.

A private membership gives you much more flexibility in how you play golf. I probably play 18 holes at my course 35-45 times per year - but I go there 100+ times per year. Still many prospective members can't get past the cost per 18 holes calculation.
    Very well said, I get bang for my buck out of my membership but for most guys what you said is very true.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    I decided to go the membership route 5 years ago because I got tired sitting at home because it was supposed to brain (normally didn't). Now that I have a membership my brother and I go no matter the weather, play 9 holes and decide whether to continue or go in and grab breakfast.

I find because the money is paid up front it forces you to find time to go and is a great excuse for the wife.

I do agree though as much as I want to play other courses I find I don't very often because my rounds are already paid for at my home course.

Quote Originally Posted by 4jag View Post

Well said for sure.

I have many moron friends, who say to me, "Boy, you have to play like 60 rounds in order to get your money's worth!" I genuinely think they, and anyone else who thinks a membership is only about price per 18, are morons.

I was a member at Rivermead when I was younger, and a member at Metcalfe as a junior as well. I may not have played every day, but it was not only a decision I made on price per round. To give you an example of one of many other intangibles to being a member at a club...Last season, at Eagle Creek, being Clublink, the tee sheet was always full of randoms. With the exception of the first times in the morning, and Men's Night, you'd rarely run into the same people. I only met one or two people, but they already had a regular foursome and game. The overall experience, of being a member at a club, was severely lacking.

The other major flaw is the lack of access to the tee sheet. So even if I wanted to go out as a single, and join a group, I could not see who was playing that day. That was a joke really, as many "lower tier" clubs have this access.

So basically, you rely on the few guys you know, in order to get a round in.

Now, I can look at the tee sheet, and add myself to someone's time if I see an opening. Not to mention, you run into the same guys often, and it was very easy to meet new people. This keeps options open if you want a game.

So even though you have different courses to play with Clublink, and this idea the OP has, gives flexibility to playing different courses, I can't see guys paying an above average membership fee, then paying at other clubs, even if it is 30% off. Basically it saves you 17% on that example, because we pay 13% HST. Only $11.90 savings on a $70 round.

I am one of the morons who feels that a membership does come down to the cost per holes played calculation, because I would be joining for the GOLF and not for the social side of things.

I hate to practice, so range time has no value to me.

I don't count the social side because I can go to the pub for free and chat with the guys...

I am there to golf, so if I pay $4,000 and go every 2nd day for 5 months, that is still over $50 per visit, and there's no way I could go to the same course 75 times a year!

To each their own, and on topic, we have several great membership options to play multiple courses already!

and there's no way I could go to the same course 75 times a year!
    How do you know if you never tried it? If you join a course with good conditions, that is challenging, with accessible tee times, you just might change your opinion. Once a month I enter tournaments outside my home course to switch it up. I think I found the right balance this way.

@nokids... I have been a member at 2 individual courses + a clublink member before... I like variety... but like I said, to each their own!

Whether it is, "to each their own", does not mean that the whole point of a private membership, is not price per round...

You'd have to be the most anti-social donkey, in order to only use the price per round opinion. Not to mention, the accessibility etc to tee times.

In any case...As I said...a private membership is not about price per round. That is not the idea behind it.

Ok, so let's put it at price per visit... you spend $4,000 and go to the course 100 times (play golf 70 times), that is $40 per visit... I think paying a $40 cover charge to get in a bar is ridiculous, so paying $40 just to get in the clubhouse to have beers is ridiculous... IN MY OPINION...

You are not wrong, neither am I, just differing opinions...

Ok, so let's put it at price per visit... you spend $4,000 and go to the course 100 times (play golf 70 times), that is $40 per visit... I think paying a $40 cover charge to get in a bar is ridiculous, so paying $40 just to get in the clubhouse to have beers is ridiculous... IN MY OPINION...

You are not wrong, neither am I, just differing opinions...
    You are entitled to your opinion, but you can go and survey probably 99.99999% of members of private clubs, and I am telling you, they will not say they joined based on the price per round.

Nor if you ask an private club's GM, or Board of Directors, will any of them tell you, that their prices are based on cost per round, or the idea behind having a membership, is solely, or even remotely based on cost per round of golf.

Perhaps someone joining a public course, or a different type of membership, they would say cost is solely based on cost per visit.

I agree 100% that private clubs are selling the "experience" or the "total package" and would never mention a cost per round or cost per visit analysis...

But it doesn't mean someone can't look at it that way, right?

It might not be the greatest selling feature to tell people "Join our club and visit 50 times per year and it will only cost you $80 per visit... plus food and drinks..."

Anyways, I agree that private clubs are selling the FULL MEMBERSHIP and all its added features!

When will we get a true course that offers everything... golf, pool, gym, spa, daycare, tennis, restaurant etc... then you can really talk value!

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I think there has to be some balance between the two issues of cost and the membership experience .
    For myself , I used to be a member of a somewhat ok'ish course back in N.I. , factor in the cost (cheap) clubhouse facilities (great bar and restaurant) and the members (very sociable) and it was a no brainer for me to join.
    There are a few courses that I like , in Ottawa and would join too , but I find the price to high for my budget , however there are a few that aren't quite as appealing that do fit into my budget , and I'm still debating whether or not to join one of them.
    There are quite a few of us "nomad golfers" playing at quite a few different courses throughout the season and its great to have the choice to go anywhere in the city and area to play golf , but it would be nice to play from my home course too for a while.
    Anyways , not to get too far off post from the original statement from Habsfan , I think owners of clubs could , and should , get together and offer a reduced rate to affiliated clubs . I'm not sure if it will happen but if I was a member at a course , for sure I'd try a few different clubs at the right price
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Having been a member of Club Link,The Canadian and Buckingham i can say that if i wasnt on a fixed income i would be a member of a private course just for the perks, conditions and easy access. If you can afford it, why not.

3 Wood funk-like is on a distinguished road
    Really, its to each his own. My neighbour paid $80K for a Mercedes, I would never do that. I spend $20 bucks on good olive oil, but you can get other stuff for $5 bucks. Value is in the eyes of the beholder, if the Mercedes is worth it to my neighbour, then he should buy it, if paying 4 times more for olive oil is worth it to me, then so be it. Same with golf memberships, people who feel they are getting value out of it, join and keep it. Those who don't, don't join or don't keep it. I'm a member of Clublink, and besides the cost per hole calculation, I put value in being able to go to Tremblant (which I do many times per summer) and Toronto (which I do many times per summer) and play amazing courses without having to pay a green fee (of course I've paid for it already as part of my membership). I also put value in being able to show up, and play 6, 9, 12, 14, 18, 36 or 54 holes on any given day if I want to.

5 Wood Pine View is on a distinguished road Pine View's Avatar
    We will be offering this exact type of package for 2015. Stay tuned.
    This is not the Pine View you remember from years gone by. Come back and see what we have done and what we have in store for the future - www.pineview.com

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    When will we get a true course that offers everything... golf, pool, gym, spa, daycare, tennis, restaurant etc... then you can really talk value!
    Sounds just like what CGYC has planned for their Backyard Project ... pool, tennis, spa, fitness, waterfront dining ... all included with your golf membership or available separtely as a "backyard family" membership ...

http://www.carletongolf.com/index.cfm?ID=384
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine View View Post
    We will be offering this exact type of package for 2015. Stay tuned.

Hopefully you will remove weekend restrictions
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information