100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Lightbulb Please release me

I was doing so well all winter indoors and so far this spring too but yesterday I was not releasing my back arm/wrist (left for I am a lefty) like the picture of Mike Weir shows so well. I know about the 3 - 9 oc'clock drill but does any one know of any other drill to promote the release to a nice finish?
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    Try warming up with a tennis racket or something flat with a lot of air resistance (a broom will do)... got the suggestion from a ladies golf training video.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

bbad
    in (this/last months Golf Digest?) there is a suggestion about trying to hit the ball with the toe of the club. I don't have a problem releasing the club, but my cousin tried it and it worked very well. Don't worry, as the book says, it is almost impossible to hit the ball with the toe.

Just a suggestion, but if you don't get the feeling of releasing the club doing that, then I'd suggest you see a cpga pro and have them look at it.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 3295
    Try warming up with a tennis racket or something flat with a lot of air resistance (a broom will do)... got the suggestion from a ladies golf training video.
    If the club is put in a correct, on plane position coming down, it will release automatically without any conscious thought. If the golfer has to consciously release the club, it is because his swing is "out of position" somewhere, so adding another fault(consciously releasing) just adds one more fault to his swing and throws any chance of consistency down the drain. Having said that, sometimes two wrongs do make a right.

One can either hold off the release(blocking) by allowing the left armpit to separate from the the chest, (hookers do this), roll the hands/forearms,(slicers do this) or just let it happen. Working on learning to swing down on plane is more important in improving ball striking than learning to consciously release/not release.

If you tuck a golf tee under your left armpit and swing without the tee falling to the ground, you will never have to think about the term again. KIS!

beatnik58
    First I try to feel like I'm pushing the club handle into the ground ahead of the ball (this promotes a nice divot) and then I try to have the sensation of throwing the club down the fairway without actually letting it go (this promotes release).

Andru
    If it's been going well don't freak out after one day. Just go back over what you worked on all winter and spring to get to that nice release you had. If building your swing is a book and you're on chapter 5 of 10. Go back to chapter 1 and do a quick review. The weather is crappy for the next 10 days,. Use this time to get back on track.

If that fails do the drill BC mist posted. Keep it simple.

Thread Information