CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Eagle mizzyboy is on a distinguished road

UPS Store Ogdensburg

Just wondering if many people have shipped their orders from the US to this store to avoid customs, duties, taxes, etc. and what their experience was like? i.e. wait times and also going back to Canada and if you have to claim the goods you just picked up.

Any other recommendations or anyone going to US soon? Thanks.
    Go Sens Go or No Sens No? The struggle of a Sens fan.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I have stuff shipped there all the time, however I always claim what I am picking up. I typically get items shipped there because the retailer doesn't ship to Canada or the shipping rates are just ridiculous. I usually choose to go down after work so I don't have to deal with the wait times there during the busy times (IE weekends).

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    ALWAYS claim. You don't want to be THAT GUY who gets pulled in for a $50 savings...

The guys at the border are not dumb either. They know the UPS Store exists, and if you go over, then come back within the same time frame, they KNOW you have something. Let's be serious, Ogdensburg is not a tourist destination. HAHA!

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    I always ship my golf stuff to the UPS store. It takes me less than an hour to get to the store. I usually leave at 7am on a Saturday morning to get there for 8am, but there is often a line of people waiting.
    I always declare what I bought/picked up and I have yet to be stopped and asked to pay.
    I have never gone to pick up a full set of clubs or anything like that, but a pair of shoes, a hybrid, 2 wedges etc never seems to be an issue.
    If you pick up a $300 item, I am not sure they feel it is worth their time and effort for the HST of $39...

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    I always ship my golf stuff to the UPS store. It takes me less than an hour to get to the store. I usually leave at 7am on a Saturday morning to get there for 8am, but there is often a line of people waiting.
    I always declare what I bought/picked up and I have yet to be stopped and asked to pay.
    I have never gone to pick up a full set of clubs or anything like that, but a pair of shoes, a hybrid, 2 wedges etc never seems to be an issue.
    If you pick up a $300 item, I am not sure they feel it is worth their time and effort for the HST of $39...
    Considering they have limitations on how much you can purchase, duty free in a certain time period, it's better to claim, than to be that douche who is red flagged for not declaring a $300 item though. It's not only HST either. If you purchase something that is not Made in USA, you will pay duty on top of the taxes as well.

Not exactly true, a lot of items not made in the US are still duty free...
    And golf clubs and balls are duty free.

Not exactly true, a lot of items not made in the US are still duty free...
    And golf clubs and balls are duty free.
    Right..But you did not name a specific item that you calculated this $39 HST on. So in general, $39 is not the only charge on $300.

Not to mention, you can be charged for not declaring items, AND, if you are lucky enough NOT to be charged, you will have issues at all US/CDN border crossings for a VERY long time.

I have multiple friends who work for CBSA, and it's not worth skipping out on $39 PLUS duties or not...

I agree 100%, there is no point in hiding things, especially when they rarely seem to stop people with small amounts, and hardly anything has duty, so why worry, just pay the HST if they ask.

I find this link helpful...
    http://www.crossbordershopping.ca/du...iffs-and-taxes

I agree 100%, there is no point in hiding things, especially when they rarely seem to stop people with small amounts, and hardly anything has duty, so why worry, just pay the HST if they ask.

I find this link helpful...
    http://www.crossbordershopping.ca/du...iffs-and-taxes
    That's a good link for reference.

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    I've had no problems dealing with any UPS stores in the US. I travel to the US several times a year and take advantage of my duty free exemptions.

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    There's also a place called the Ship-It-Shop in Massena (accross from Cornwall). They also sign for packages. I've used them for years with no issue. They can also email you when your packages arrive....assuming you've used their service before and have left your email address with them.

Ship-It-Shop
    1 North Main St.
    Massena NY

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    I've used the UPS store dozens of times for golf clubs and other stuff over the years, now I use the Myusaddress.ca place in Ogdensburg. They take CDN $ at par, notify you when your package arrives and don't charge by the week for packages that aren't picked-up and they ask for Id so it's more secure IMO. Closer to the bridge too.

And like everyone else says - claim it.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    I use Roethel Parcel Service in Ogdensburg. Its $5/package, but it gives you 30-days to pick up, think UPS only gives you a week, its just down the road from UPS store (its a FedEx delivery stop). their website is being updated, so wasnt working this week, but I just got back from a pick up today. It was a $100 order, and i got sent in to pay my $13 HST.

Always claim, you'll usually pay HST. only takes a minute to run in and get the duty paid.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    For me, once I factor in the cost of gas and bridge tolls, $5/package UPS store fee and a bit for the time it takes, it needs to be a significant purchase to be worth it. Saving less than $50 on shipping for a 3+ hour round trip (240km) is barely break-even when the gas alone is about $30. That being said, if I forsee a trip to Toronto or Syracuse coming up, I try to time a delivery to coincide with the trip.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter View Post
    For me, once I factor in the cost of gas and bridge tolls, $5/package UPS store fee and a bit for the time it takes, it needs to be a significant purchase to be worth it. Saving less than $50 on shipping for a 3+ hour round trip (240km) is barely break-even when the gas alone is about $30. That being said, if I forsee a trip to Toronto or Syracuse coming up, I try to time a delivery to coincide with the trip.
    no doubt. can't imagine driving that far to pick up a $100 order.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzyboy View Post
    i.e. going back to Canada and if you have to claim the goods you just picked up.
    I come from a family of smugglers .... so I won't comment
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Eagle mizzyboy is on a distinguished road
    It's for a set of clubs and factoring in the drive and customs, might just have to pay premium for shipping them to Ottawa.

In the future though, how would getting clubs sent to UPS store or vendor in US work? Use their address and have your name as care of for the package?
    Go Sens Go or No Sens No? The struggle of a Sens fan.

Lob Wedge funbobby is on a distinguished road
    I use Kinek for my shipping into Ogdensburg, they are $5 a package, will email you when the package arrives, and are not that busy ( I usually see the line up at UPS driving by). I have also left packages there for a couple of weeks while more shipments were coming with no issues.

Always claim your packages.

https://www.kinek.com/

I have always wondered how people even figure out what amount of HST to pay...
    I have been 4 times this year to UPS to pick up golf stuff, but the boxes never have an actual receipt in them, just a packing slip, so if I did get asked to go inside and pay HST at the border, how would we even know the value of the goods?
    As an example, the last shoes I bought, were $69.99 US, and they were still $199.99 + tax at Golftown... but I had no receipt for the shoes.
    What happens in this case?

Lob Wedge funbobby is on a distinguished road
    if you are ordering online then there is usually some kind of confirmation, print that out and take it with you. I take a folder with all the receipts, it saves a lot of hassle.
    Another suggestion is to go down with little gas in your tank, my car has a very big tank ( 90L ) so I save $25 plus on a tank filling up there, I live in the west end close to the 416 so it makes it a free trip ( gas used and tolls )

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    Agree with funbobby - always bring your receipt so you pay the actual deal price you got your items for, and not the MSRP they may look-up if you can't prove the price you paid.

I'm going there in a few days to pick up some clubs I got off eBay. $450 for an iron set and matching driver used once only when that same driver is $449.99 at GT and the irons $799. Going to Bill's Automotive to get some new tires while there, and I just discovered that they accept parcels too, for just $4 each.

The Parcel pickup biz must be a secondary industry in Ogdensburg...

8 Iron zee51 is on a distinguished road
    A couple of items to note on importing items into Canada.
    First, your exemption does not apply unless you have been absent from Canada for a certain period of time:
    · 48 hours $800
    · 24 hours $200 (other than booze and tobacco)
    So you can not use any exemption to bring back from UPS unless you stay in US for the amount of time required.
    When it comes to items shipped directly to Canada, the rule is $20 or less.However, sometimes this is overlooked and particularly so by mail as the CBSA is the one that does mail whereas UPS and other couriers are responsible to report items properly.
    I would add that it is true that many items do not attract customs duty regardless of where they are made.Also, in most cases the CBSA will simply assume that the goods are of US origin and not charge duties for travelers.Totally different for commercial importers.
    So usually you will only be faced with HST so no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by zee51 View Post
    Also, in most cases the CBSA will simply assume that the goods are of US origin and not charge duties for travelers.
    That's been my experience as well. I remember bringing back an Onkyo receiver and the CBSA guy just asked what it was - I said it was an Onkyo receiver and he pointed at a book on their desk about 5 inches thick and said he's just going to assume it's North American. I was honest and he just charged me HST and didn't look it up to see if duties would apply...

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    And don't forget you must claim the cost of goods plus shipping. You must pay HST on your shipping costs as well .
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Another reason why Amazon is great (free shipping) as well as so many other retailers who can ship items within the U.S. for so little...

I have never paid shipping costs when buying golf stuff online in the US... They are always willing to waive shippig costs !!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4jag View Post
    And don't forget you must claim the cost of goods plus shipping. You must pay HST on your shipping costs as well .
    Actually, that is not correct. Customs duties and HST are payable on the value once converted to Canadian $. Freight costs for the direct shipment to Canada are not dutiable nor taxable. Freight charges that are incurred in Canada are a different matter and are taxable.

If shipping is included in the price you may deduct the shipping cost before applying duties and tax.

I would add that if the goods are dutiable then the tax is also applied to the value plus the duty. Tax on tax. You gotta love that.

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4jag View Post
    Wrong. I've never been charged HST on the shipping fee portion of my receipt.

In some cases where i buy an item on ebay the seller will have the same item listed twice. Once at a lower price with a shipping charge and then a second time with a higher price and free shipping. I always buy the one with the seperate shipping charge as I do not pay tax on shipping once at the border.

Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    ALWAYS claim. You don't want to be THAT GUY who gets pulled in for a $50 savings...

The guys at the border are not dumb either. They know the UPS Store exists, and if you go over, then come back within the same time frame, they KNOW you have something. Let's be serious, Ogdensburg is not a tourist destination. HAHA!
    Just want to emphasis this point. Always always declare the goods that you purchased or received. Not only are undeclared goods subject to seizure, so is your car that was used to transport the goods.

It simply is not worth it. Moreover, for amount less than say $100 or so, the officer may not send you in to pay HST. This depends on the officer, his or her mood for the day, etc. so your experiences can vary significantly from one day to the next and from one person to the next.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zee51 View Post
    Just want to emphasis this point. Always always declare the goods that you purchased or received. Not only are undeclared goods subject to seizure, so is your car that was used to transport the goods.

It simply is not worth it. Moreover, for amount less than say $100 or so, the officer may not send you in to pay HST. This depends on the officer, his or her mood for the day, etc. so your experiences can vary significantly from one day to the next and from one person to the next.
    Went to get a $70 purchase. Showed the invoice to the officer and he said: Have a good day
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information