100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    8 Iron zee51 is on a distinguished road

Canadian Open WIthout Character

Anybody else think that the RBC Canadian open is incredibly boring and really is a non event in the golf world?

Seriously, not a lot of big names playing and course playing way too easy for pros. US open is known for long rough and narrow fairways, British open known for links course and blowing winds. Canadian open is just boring, has no character, and is generally forgettable.

They need to change something to generate interest from pros and turn it into an actual event that people want to watch.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    It's the week after the British Open. Lots of the big boys gear up for a major and take down time after. We used to get more big names when it was in September.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Couldn't agree with you more. While I thoroughly enjoyed the last few holes, overall....it was a complete non-event. The crowds were thin, the announcers sounded like they were desperately in need of something to talk about...it was just a 'nothing' ... IMHO.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

8 Iron zee51 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    It's the week after the British Open. Lots of the big boys gear up for a major and take down time after. We used to get more big names when it was in September.
    I understand the reason for some lack of top 10 pros but I don't understand why the date was ever allowed to be changed to the week following the Open. Given the names that used to attend the event in the past such as Armour, Hagen, Snead, Nelson, Locke, Travino, Niclaus, Palmer, Norman etc., the Canadian open fans deserve better than Furyk as the highest ranked player attending.

The organizers can also make the course a little more difficult so these guys are not throwing darts. Also, the rough was almost non existent.

This is supposed to be Canada's national golf event and it is just disappointing that there is so little interest and that it has become such a non event.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I also thought it was boring. Maybe its just me but it used to be such an exciting event in Sept. All the big names are taking a few weeks off after the Open Champ. so it sort of leaves us with no big stars. Not sure how long RBC will sustain this one.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    When it was in September, everyone complained about the date because it came directly after the Labour Day Boston event. That one finishes on the Monday, so it was tight to get to here in time and the top players wouldn't come then either. Due to climate, Canada can really only host this event in a three month window, from mid-June to mid-September. In those three months (12 weeks), you have 3 majors, a WGC, and the Fed-Ex Cup playoffs. That doesn't leave many dates left-over, and none of those events are 'sparkling' either. Even Tiger can't get a deluxe field at his Washington tour stop.

Gap Wedge rando7777 is on a distinguished road
    I found I kind of ho hum as well but the announcers were never at a loss for words - they never shut up

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    Although I was cheering for him , I am glad I don't have to watch anymore Graham DeLaet commercials. Talk about over saturation.

4 Iron poppadon56 is on a distinguished road poppadon56's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cleek View Post
    Although I was cheering for him , I am glad I don't have to watch anymore Graham DeLaet commercials. Talk about over saturation.
    So it's just not me...

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cleek View Post
    I could watch the one with his wife, Ruby, a few more times...lol....just say in'!
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I thought about driving over cause watching the thin crowds on tv it seemed like a good chance to see some of the pros I'm familiar with up close.

I liked it more than the Steve Stricker Invitational. I got tired of watching him and Zach hit wedge into every green and try to make the 8 foot putt for another birdie. I couldn't even watch that whole event, and that's really saying something.

Course could have been setup a bit tougher, but I don't care that it wasn't US Open tough, I think they get a bit silly with that anyhow. It would have been nice to see a deeper field.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    I could watch the one with his wife, Ruby, a few more times...lol....just say in'!
    it's an easy decision

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    It wasn't that bad. At least the ending had some drama, although some would say it was clear that Furyk was going to lose by missing a putt.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    Couldn't they host this at a venue that offered some really interesting elavation changes? I'm sure something in Alberta or BC would make for good TV. Are there any Maritimes courses by the sea? There's nothing really Canadian about these boring courses that they keep going back to.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Why do they not just move the date? As much history Royal Montreal has, I have to agree, it's not really visually enticing to see on tv, and it's obviously not a huge challenge for these lower ranked pros.

They should take a page out of the CN Canadian Open for the Women. That is always full of the top ranked players, and not right before/after one of their majors.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    Why do they not just move the date?
    I think it is the PGA Tour which sets the dates.

Thread Information