100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar

Interesting Find

For some of you who like to read about the golf swing and different teaching methods, I found this on the net and thought it was quite interesting. If you have the time give it a read, it is very long but worth it. Lets hear what you think, especially from the swing experts!

http://www.cegolf.com/xsideways.htm

Denny

beatnik58
    Funny 'cause my old swing was "flat" and followed the suggested rotation with mediocre results at best. I was taught an upright swing this winter and it has changed my game 10 stokes for the better. Hitting longer by about 20 yds per club (40 for driver) and with far more accuracy.

Goes to show you there's more than one way to skin a groundhog.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    For some of you who like to read about the golf swing and different teaching methods, I found this on the net and thought it was quite interesting. If you have the time give it a read, it is very long but worth it. Lets hear what you think, especially from the swing experts!

http://www.cegolf.com/xsideways.htm

Denny
    This is a key paragraph from the above.
    The upright swing plane can have serious consequences to one's ability to improve their golf game, yet it is what most Golf Professionals teach. Good athletes with great coordination (timing) and who practice a lot can play reasonably well with just about any swing, even upright, but they will be limited by unsound fundamentals. These golfers are often called "feel" players because they can play well even though their swings are significantly flawed

No doubt that beatnik 58 has experienced success with a more upright swing and this is great. However, as it also states in the article, one better have better than the average bear timing an coordination to be successful with an upright swing.

IMO, if beat has gained 40 yards with the driver with the upright swing, it is not the upright swing that has caused this increase, but that there were flaws in his flatter swing that prevented longer distances from being achieved, and it was not the flatter swing by itself that caused the problem.

Speaking of skinning groundhogs, beat, I have and have tasted groundhog meat. Have you? Have also eaten porcupine. Really.

beatnik58
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    No doubt that beatnik 58 has experienced success with a more upright swing and this is great. However, as it also states in the article, one better have better than the average bear timing an coordination to be successful with an upright swing.

Speaking of skinning groundhogs, beat, I have and have tasted groundhog meat. Have you? Have also eaten porcupine. Really.
    1) I really don't think my timing is that great. Previously I was "sitting down" and my swing plane was far to horizontal (ie. flat). Resulted in fat shots. Now I'm barely unlocking my knees at address and my upper body is leaning over the ball more with the club held at a steeper angle (hands higher). This in combination with a more vertical path has made a huge difference. I'm taking divots for the first time ever and my ball flight can now be described as penetrating rather than ballooning.

Last spring I was a 30+ handicap, now I'm a 15 and dropping. I figure I'll hit the wall at single digits!

2) I've eaten a lot of things in my day. Groundhog amongst them, never a porcupine though I'll bet the meat is salty! Prefer a nice Filet Mignon!

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    This is a key paragraph from the above.
    The upright swing plane can have serious consequences to one's ability to improve their golf game, yet it is what most Golf Professionals teach. Good athletes with great coordination (timing) and who practice a lot can play reasonably well with just about any swing, even upright, but they will be limited by unsound fundamentals. These golfers are often called "feel" players because they can play well even though their swings are significantly flawed

IMO, if beat has gained 40 yards with the driver with the upright swing, it is not the upright swing that has caused this increase, but that there were flaws in his flatter swing that prevented longer distances from being achieved, and it was not the flatter swing by itself that caused the problem.

I thought you would find that interesting. As for your taste in meat, was that back in the depression!!!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beatnik58
    1) I really don't think my timing is that great. Previously I was "sitting down" and my swing plane was far to horizontal (ie. flat). Resulted in fat shots. Now I'm barely unlocking my knees at address and my upper body is leaning over the ball more with the club held at a steeper angle (hands higher). This in combination with a more vertical path has made a huge difference. I'm taking divots for the first time ever and my ball flight can now be described as penetrating rather than ballooning.

Last spring I was a 30+ handicap, now I'm a 15 and dropping. I figure I'll hit the wall at single digits!

2) I've eaten a lot of things in my day. Groundhog amongst them, never a porcupine though I'll bet the meat is salty! Prefer a nice Filet Mignon!
    Your old flat swing was probably flatter then flat. You new upright swing is probably not as upright as you think. You’re probably more on plain then upright.

Changing from very flat to upright is a major change and take some time to ingrain.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Your old flat swing was probably flatter then flat. You new upright swing is probably not as upright as you think. You’re probably more on plain then upright.

Changing from very flat to upright is a major change and take some time to ingrain.
    Probably very true.

It would be interesting to see a shot of your swing from the down the line view, when the hands are just below the waist. If the shaft coincides with the right forearm, you are on perfect plane.

Posted this shot of a friend before, to show what I mean.

dbleber I may have been depressed when I tasted the meat, however, the "Depression," was about 20 years before I was born, but thanks for suggesting that I am 80 years old.

A friend of mine, and former colleague, was also a trapper, hunter, farmer, beer drinker and other politically incorrect things, and I used to help him at times when he checked his trap lines, so tasting different meats was part of the days work. The porcupine was terrible, probably terribly cooked, the groundhog OK, the rabbit great, the frogs legs wonderful, the caribou very tender, the deer a little strong, the red squirrel better tasting than the black squirrel. I did not mind eating the meat, but it was the smell of the creatures after being skinned that was tough to take. Filet mignon is still my favourite. Oops, off topic.

beatnik58
    It would be interesting to see a shot of your swing from the down the line view, when the hands are just below the waist. If the shaft coincides with the right forearm, you are on perfect plane.
    I'll get a printout Monday from T2Green and post it if it's not too horrible.

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar

Wink

This is a dangerous spot for me, better stay away....
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Thread Information