CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Situation Today

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar

Situation Today

Player A hits his tee ball into a red staked area but finds it and is able to make a stroke at his ball. Stroke is made and the ball is left in the hazard but is now unplayable. What are the next options?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    He can still take a drop based on where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    He can still take a drop based on where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard.
    Really? So stroke into hazard, stroke in hazard into an unplayable lie and you can then go back outside the hazard taking one stroke penalty and take a drop on point of entry from the tee ball!??

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    26-2. Ball Played Within Water Hazard
    a. Ball Comes to Rest in Same or Another Water Hazard
    If a ball played from within a water hazard comes to rest in the same or another water hazard after the stroke, the player may:

(i) proceed under Rule 26-1a. If, after dropping in the hazard, the player elects not to play the dropped ball, he may:

(a) proceed under Rule 26-1b, or if applicable Rule 26-1c, adding the additional penalty of one stroke prescribed by the Rule and using as the reference point the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of this hazard before it came to rest in this hazard; or

(b) add an additional penalty of one stroke and play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the last stroke from outside a water hazard was made (see Rule 20-5); or

(ii) proceed under Rule 26-1b, or if applicable Rule 26-1c; or

(iii)under penalty of one stroke, play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the last stroke from outside a water hazard was made (see Rule 20-5).

So he took the stroke in the hazard and buried his ball. He could pick I up and drop back on the tee or where his tee shot crossed the line with one stroke penalty?

Yep.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    So he took the stroke in the hazard and buried his ball. He could pick I up and drop back on the tee or where his tee shot crossed the line with one stroke penalty?
    so it was a bogey!
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Nuts!

Tee shot. Stroke in hazard. Penalty stroke. Stroke onto green. One putt? So assuming I got this right, yep, a bogey.

Nuts!
    But would you appreciate it if it applied to bunkers also?

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Tee shot. Stroke in hazard. Penalty stroke. Stroke onto green. One putt? So assuming I got this right, yep, a bogey.
    Yep, he knocked the approach to a foot

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Nuts!
    Why do feel this way? Or, what would you have expected the player to do as a ball cannot be deemed unplayable in a water hazard?

He made an initial stroke that landed his ball in a hazard. He then made a swing in the hazard and in doing so put himself into an unplayable position. I don't think it makes sense that he can then go back to the line of entry to the first shot he struck and play 4. I'd think he drops back where his last shot in the hazard was struck or takes two club lengths from the unplayable if possible.

or takes two club lengths from the unplayable if possible.
    Well he can't do that as it is expressly forbidden by the rules.

and in doing so put himself into an unplayable position.

Only the player can determine it is unplayable, no one else. He may simply prefer not to play it from where it is.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    He made an initial stroke that landed his ball in a hazard. He then made a swing in the hazard and in doing so put himself into an unplayable position. I don't think it makes sense that he can then go back to the line of entry to the first shot he struck and play 4. I'd think he drops back where his last shot in the hazard was struck or takes two club lengths from the unplayable if possible.
    well one of the options for declaring the ball unplayable is that you drop a ball in line with the flag and can go as far back as you want. wouldn't that result in the same drop that your opponent took in this situation?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    well one of the options for declaring the ball unplayable is that you drop a ball in line with the flag and can go as far back as you want. wouldn't that result in the same drop that your opponent took in this situation?

that would have meant he would have dropped toward the 13th green which would not have been great. instead he got to drop at point of entry from 12.

5 Iron adanac is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    that would have meant he would have dropped toward the 13th green which would not have been great. instead he got to drop at point of entry from 12.
    Let's simplify it - a ball can not be deemed unplayable in a water hazard. If a player does this and drops in the water hazard, it will be deemed that he has proceeded under the water hazard Rule (Rule 26) as Rule 28 (Ball Unplayable) is an inapplicable Rule.

It just doesn't make sense to me that you can make a stroke in a hazard, put yourself now into a position regardless of whether it's in a hazard where you now can't make a stroke at the ball and you then get to say okay i'll go back to the line i hit two shots ago and drop. I understand the ruling but circumstantially i don't agree with it.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    It just doesn't make sense to me that you can make a stroke in a hazard, put yourself now into a position regardless of whether it's in a hazard where you now can't make a stroke at the ball and you then get to say okay i'll go back to the line i hit two shots ago and drop. I understand the ruling but circumstantially i don't agree with it.
    as adanac and AAA are saying, the ball's in the water hazard, so even after hitting it, if it's still in the water hazard it's subject to the water hazard rule 26. drop at point of entry, or from where the last shot was made to go into the hazard (tee in your situation), with penalty stroke of course.

who made this great bogey?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

My buddy Jon, he definitely hit a miraculous shot to about a foot and half to make the bogey.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    It was the new member Talktomyball, he was on the tee when a trespasser came onto the course 300 yds ahead and he flew his shot into the hazard, then when in the hazard he was taking a swing when he felt another trespasser come on the course 5 holes away and made a bad swing on the ball. Luckily he was able to shoot the trespassers and took the penalty then made the bogey now that the course was occupied by golfers only.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    It was the new member Talktomyball, he was on the tee when a trespasser came onto the course 300 yds ahead and he flew his shot into the hazard, then when in the hazard he was taking a swing when he felt another trespasser come on the course 5 holes away and made a bad swing on the ball. Luckily he was able to shoot the trespassers and took the penalty then made the bogey now that the course was occupied by golfers only.
    Were these trespassers born here? Is the penalty the same for shooting new Canadiens? AH nevermind, they're just lucky to be here.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Yes, as long as they stay off the courses to walk their dogs, wait, were their dogs born in Canada, OMG, Pandora's box is open!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Wrong thread!!

Tongue and Cheek, sorry over my head.

No worries, you sound stressed out, you should go for a walk with your dog at Kanata Lakes
    Lefty Lucas

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmwhite View Post
    Is the penalty the same for shooting new Canadiens?
    No, but it is the same for shooting new Senators or Maple Leafs.

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter View Post
    No, but it is the same for shooting new Senators or Maple Leafs.
    The way the Habs were falling all over the place this past season trying to draw penalties you'd thing they were being shot.

Thread Information