CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar

Callaway APEX Tour Reviews

Anyone own and play the new APEX Tour Irons? Potentially looking at a set and was curious what people who play them think. I am not interested if you tried them out once or hit them at GT or some other demo day. I have a demo iron that I will be trying out tonight at mens night.

Thanks!

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    Are you referring to the Apex Pro?? I have the regular Apex irons and am enjoying them so far.

Yes the APEX Pro.

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    My buddy's dad knows a guy that was told by someone at Golf Town that they are awesome. You should get them.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I tried the Apex Pro and didn't like them as much as the Apex. I got them with the Recoil shaft which really suits me. They have such a soft feeling and after a few rounds I finally starting hitting them really well. The Pro just didn't have anywhere near the same feel.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    I tried the Apex Pro and didn't like them as much as the Apex. I got them with the Recoil shaft which really suits me. They have such a soft feeling and after a few rounds I finally starting hitting them really well. The Pro just didn't have anywhere near the same feel.
    Interesting. What did you play before?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Callaway Razr X Black

I played with the 6 iron last night and really liked the feeling and flight of the ball. Put in an order, can't wait to get these in the bag.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Hit one of these in the sim at GT. Can you say stupid long????

God I hope so. I have lost about a clubs length in the last year with my irons.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    God I hope so. I have lost about a clubs length in the last year with my irons.
    Forgive my ignorance, but why are you looking for length in an iron? I never really understood the whole TM thing, advertising how long their irons are. Adams has started the same, no coincidence since being bought out by Adidas.

Maybe it's just me, but I look for feel, ball flight, and workability while still being forgiving.

I don't need to hit my 7-iron 195 yards!! HAHA!!

In any case...To each their own. I've just never understood the whole length thing with irons...

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    Maybe once you get older and start losing strength and flexibility you will appreciate the extra distance. Luckily I'm not in the boat yet but I play with guys who are.

Quote Originally Posted by jmwhite View Post
    Maybe once you get older and start losing strength and flexibility you will appreciate the extra distance. Luckily I'm not in the boat yet but I play with guys who are.
    I have/do play with older members. I just don't understand why distance has become such a prominent selling point for irons.

Your irons are supposed to be clubs you are relying on for accuracy. Your driver is what you rely on for distance.

Are people playing such long holes that they need to hit 7-iron close to 200 yards? I mean even if you bunt a driver 200 yards, which I know is not the case for guys like quinner, you most likely have 180 yards in.

The longest par-4 from the Blues at Eagle, is 406. If you're hitting your driver 200 yards, you'd most likely be playing the Whites.

So with a 250 yard drive (total distance), you should have no more than 156 in... Do you need more distance so you can hit PW 156?????

It just makes no sense...

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    is it really added distance? the longest iron I carry is around 26* loft, which is currently a TM CB Forged 5 iron. If I bought the new Cally X2Hot Pro irons, my longest iron would become a 27* 6 iron, because they would go about the same distance. I would simply lose one iron from my bag because I carry a 23* hybrid and would not have room for the Cally 5 iron at 24*.

All these companies changing lofts and shaft lengths just messes up the iron set up for a lot of people. I don't want a 44* PW, or a 24* 5 iron because that forces me to have other gaps. And it doesn't really make you hit the ball any further.

Ignore the number on the club and focus on the loft of that club. (if that is even accurate!)

Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but why are you looking for length in an iron? I never really understood the whole TM thing, advertising how long their irons are. Adams has started the same, no coincidence since being bought out by Adidas.

Maybe it's just me, but I look for feel, ball flight, and workability while still being forgiving.

I don't need to hit my 7-iron 195 yards!! HAHA!!

In any case...To each their own. I've just never understood the whole length thing with irons...
    Why wouldn't you want to be able to hit 7 iron 195 yards? It's much easier to hit, not to mention forgiving than a 4 iron.

Why wouldn't you want to be able to hit 7 iron 195 yards? It's much easier to hit, not to mention forgiving than a 4 iron.
    Is this a serious question?

Your home club, where I'm assuming you play most of your golf, has Par 4's that are just over 400 yards. Even if you hit the ball ONLY 250 yards TOTAL DISTANCE from the Blue tees, you have 150 yards in. When are you ever going to need to hit an iron 195?

And if you want to hit a 6 or 7 iron 195 yards, do you also want to carry, Driver, 3-wood, 7-PW, plus wedges down to the highest loft possible? I mean if you were to hit 7 iron 195, you'd be hitting a PW 160, and your Gap 150, SW 140, LW 130...You see where I'm going with this?

Unless you're a senior citizen (no offence to senior citizens), or cannot generate any swing speed due to injury, I'd say distance is not an important selling point for irons.

NOW...if for some reason, EC has extended their length from 6600 yards from the Blues, and 7000 from the tips, to 7600, and 8000 yards respectively, you specifically, would most likely never be more than 150 out, which is most likely your 8-iron, into par 4's.

Furthermore...To use your 195 7-iron for example. You're more likely to be precise over a shorter distance, than over a longer distance. So even if you hit your 7-iron 195 yards, instead of 170 yards, that extra 25 yards of ball flight, will most likely have a less tight dispersion on a green, than from a shorter distance.

An finally...to quote a company who is known for it's superior irons, and not an advertising company, as Adidas seems to be...

"The lightweight characteristics of the pure titanium allows for the ideal amount of thickness behind the impact area to deliver consistent solid feel while simultaneously providing a dramatic increase in perimeter weighting for enhanced playability."

Notice how distance is not even mentioned? And in case you didn't recognize the excerpt, it is from Mizuno....

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    But you aren't really hitting your irons any further!!!
    Today I tested irons at GT.
    TM CB forged 7 iron
    Cally x2 hot pro 7 iron
    And my TM CB forged 7 iron which is 3 years old but mint shape and used about 30 rounds

The TM irons were very very similar.
    The Cally was probably 8 yards further...
    BUT it is not the same loft at all !!!
    It's loft is closer to a 6 iron.

So I took a Cally 8 iron and it was basically the same loft as my 7 iron and went a very similar distance.

Guys, I know the lofts are .5 to a full degree more in the new sets. I was just curious to know if anyone had played these yet and their feedback. If it's that big of a deal to players, I am sure you can get them bent to the degree that you normally play. I honestly don't care if my 7 iron goes 10 yards further than my previous one. And yes for the record, I would love to hit a 7 iron 195 yes and go 7i 7i into a par four but that's for another thread.

Thanks for the guys that actually could contribute to the thread topic.

Guys, I know the lofts are .5 to a full degree more in the new sets. I was just curious to know if anyone had played these yet and their feedback. If it's that big of a deal to players, I am sure you can get them bent to the degree that you normally play. I honestly don't care if my 7 iron goes 10 yards further than my previous one. And yes for the record, I would love to hit a 7 iron 195 yes and go 7i 7i into a par four but that's for another thread.

Thanks for the guys that actually could contribute to the thread topic.
    You're welcome. ;-)

Thread Information