CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter kevin1889 is on a distinguished road

Need Advice - Planning New Hitting Bay (for future simulator)

Based on my reading through a LOT of posts here (thanks to all posters!) I've put together the attached mock-up of what I'd like to do in my basement. Financial constraints mean that the actual simulator is about a year away, but I want to set up the hitting bay so I can start swinging this fall/winter. With the future in mind, I want to set up the frame and area so when I'm ready to pull the trigger I don't have to do much reconfiguring.

I was hoping some veterans could give me some thoughts on my plan and help me answer the following questions:
    • How wide should I make the frame (would like to project the software and potentially watch movies)? - Height would be 8'6" max
    • Can I get netting to fit my frame exactly, or just order a large amount and trim to fit the top, back and sides?
    • I don't want the frame to extend into the basement too much (need it for kids play space), is 18" depth enough to support the netting and impact screen? I would install some heavy fabric on either side that can pull out when in use.
    • To protect the ceiling, I was thinking of some exercise mats or memory foam, I don't expect to need it much, just for errant shots or clubs. Any suggestions?

This will go in my basement, I have a max height of about 8ft - 8ft6in, and width is not really a problem right now. Thanks for all the help and advice that this forum has provided, and thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Attached Images

8 Iron DFDubb is on a distinguished road
    Is the height where you'll be swinging also 8' - 8'6"?

Putter kevin1889 is on a distinguished road
    Where I'm swinging it will be 8'8" from floor to ceiling joists. Unfinished basement for now. I can swing a driver now, but barely, will mostly use irons.
    Thanks.

2 Iron DjPiLL is on a distinguished road
    That ceiling height is a little low. If you can swing that would be fine, however with a height that low I would wonder if I would be overcompensating with the height and not put the swing in that hitting bay that I would put on the golf course. I have the same issue but with width, I only have 10' wide and I feel that barely allows me to swing my driver and 3 wood as one of the things I am working on is coming more from the inside. To do that I really have to bring the club more behind me, thus I get nervous.

Thread Information