100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    "Richard"

To be or not the be (a memeber)

What is the point of being a member somewhere? I mean it would only make sense if I could get some of my friends to also become members there otherwise I would just be playing alone or playing while my friends payed $40 to play the course everytime. Also, isn't 1/2 the fun playing different courses? wouldn't it get boring playing the same course again and again?

I'm thinking about joking the canadian. Its only $995+gst and there is no $250 fee this year. I would have to play the course about 30 times to make it worth it which I probably will do but doesnt it get boring always playing the same course? Help

2 Iron guyfrompei is on a distinguished road guyfrompei's Avatar
    1. You could potentially make new friends.
    2. Members only events all the time.
    3. Your game will get better.
    4. Preferred tee times.
    5. You'll have a valid handicap.
    6. Leave wallet at home.
    Last edited by guyfrompei; 04-20-2005 at 01:26 PM. Reason: added another reason

"Richard"
    are there usually hot women in their late 20's who are also memebers? because those are the only people I would want to be "friends" with in which case you can't leave the wallet at home

hahaha...that's a chance you'll have to take. Or you could try and request a member roster (with photo!). I don't know man. I would recommend joining ClubLink if you're young and have no problem with the cost. You have your choice of many clubs and I must say that someone out at Greyhawk is doing one hell of a job hiring the female staff!

Pitching Wedge treewood is on a distinguished road treewood's Avatar
    Depends on how you look at it. Many of my buddies are members at different courses. They find it more economical if they join with the amount of golf they play. If you base your golf season on finances, I say a membership is the way to go. If money is no object, play different courses. Myself, I play on avg. 50rds a year. I am a nomadic golfer. I travel to Ottawa at least 5 times a season to play with a good friend of mine twice over the weekend. We usually play Stonebridge $65, Loch March $55 and Eaglecreek $85. Within the Montreal area, the courses of the same caliber (condition etc...) go for approx 40-125 a round. I often drive about an hour to play. So if you average it out to about $70 a rd. that's $3500 a season. plus food, drinks and don't forget about gogo juice to get there. Geez maybe I should become a member somewhere!
    "You can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen."
    Lee Trevino

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    You should seriously check out the Ottawagolf.com platimom membership. This is the first year that I have one and have had no problem finding good courses to play at the time I want. The other benefit is that you have a variety of courses to play free and your buddies can play with you at any of them.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    You definately start to score better on a course that you know well.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    I prefer playing different courses for the simple fact I'd get bored with the same courses over and over. IMHO, yes you would get better at THAT course, but when you play another course, you usually will not play your handicap, at least that is what I've seen from a some of my group of friends.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

I disagree with you ED. It is not a matter of getting used to playing a certain course but rather playing consistently. Once you have conquered that if ever you should be able to play any course and score decently
    Lee Trevino

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    are there usually hot women in their late 20's who are also memebers? because those are the only people I would want to be "friends" with in which case you can't leave the wallet at home
    I think you need a membership at an all girls college then.

Lee Trevino

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by treewood
    I disagree with you ED. It is not a matter of getting used to playing a certain course but rather playing consistently. Once you have conquered that if ever you should be able to play any course and score decently
    I don't follow your logic treewood. From what I have seen EDSGOLF is correct because:

1) You join a club you play well at - you tend to like a course that is more suited to your style of play, and you only join a club that you like. So "playing consistently" often becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. For example, I like playing at Cloverdale and I'm fairly certain I would have a lower handicap if I played there every week - but I'm not so sure that would make me play better at Emerald Links.
    2) Course knowledge improves scores - when you play the same course all the time, you will learn which clubs to use when, how fast the greens are and where they break, etc. This will save strokes and lower your handicap. When you play another course you do not have these advantages.
    3) One course rarely tests every club in the bag - a short course will test your iron play, a long course will test your woods, a tight course will test your accuracy, a course with a lot of bunkers will test your sand play, a course with small greens will test your short game, etc. It is rare to find all of this in one course - so when you go to a course with a completely different design than your home course you will be at a disadvantage.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    I am charting the concept for the first time this season, and can already see my handicap dropping. Like Tigre said, I'm familiar with my home course, know it's subtle nuances, and it suits my game as a lefty with a bit of a slice off the tee. I have always scored better on this course than any other. Putting stats tend to be the difference if nothing else.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

You'll get better overall because you'll be playing more. That will transfer to any other course you'll play.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I agree and disagree with what has been said. I joined a club for the first time this year (Mountain Creek). I agree with what people are saying about their handicap being biased based on playing the same course over and over. That being said, I'm looking to become more consistent. I want to be able to strike my irons more solidly and consistently so when I do go to another course I will be confident about my ball striking. As for putting, Mountain Creek, in mid season have some of the best greens around. If you can putt there you can putt anywhere.

I don't find the boredom factor sets in. I have played everyday since the course opened and can't wait for my shift at work to be over so I can play more. To counter the boredom I just try to play the holes differently with different clubs. Maybe try an iron or fairway wood off the tee instead of driver. Or I'll try to play different angles on each hole looking to improve my accuracy.

But for someone who plays 60-70 rounds a season the membership route is the way to go in my opinion. And like someone posted with a membership you get all the member events, tournaments and intersectionals etc.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    As one who enjoys playing a lot of different courses, the biggest thing is different greens every game. It affects your short game and that's where you score.
    On the other hand, you learn to adjust and you don't expect a certain speed, If you always play the same course, faster/slower greens can throw you off.
    Play enough courses often enough, and you learn the nuances in time.

Quote Originally Posted by guyfrompei
    You'll get better overall because you'll be playing more. That will transfer to any other course you'll play.
    I cannot possibly play more golf than I do now without some MAJOR lifestyle changes (like daughter moving out, retirement or divorce). I suspect this is the case with many golfers.

IMHO it is not joining a club that makes you play more, but finding the time and commitment to play more golf that makes joining a club possible (in which case, getting an OG Platinum membership becomes equally as possible). In fact, I think "lack of time" is THE major impediment to golf club membership and that is why so many of them are going to 27 holes. I am FAR more likely to join Emerald Links knowing I can go for a quick nine before or after work on weekdays in addition to my regular weekend outings.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

I think my message was misunderstood or maybe the way that I wrote it. What I was trying to get across is exactly like GJohnstone said. The more comfortable you are with iron/wood/wedge play, the more confident you are when you strike the ball. All courses have one thing in common, Tees and Greens. The concept for all golf courses are the same, get the ball in the hole right? So in reality a course membership is 9/18 hole practice facility. I personally do not like driving ranges, due to their innacuracy in yardage (not all are like this) and the ever famous range rockets. If you play with a certain golf ball, you get a feel for it. Not range balls i.e. Compression difference, old balls, cut balls. So what better way to practice your swing than on a course. Practice fades and draws is alot more productive on a golf course than at a range. As for greens, like Dan said you can play your course 4 times in a week and they will roll different almost everytime.
    Lee Trevino

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Some courses are just plain tougher than others, not just length and slope rating, but all the factors mentionned above. If you join a tough course and play there almost exclusively, I believe getting better at a tough couse will make you a better golfer than playing the same amount at different courses with different degrees of difficulty.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Bottom line, play golf and enjoy it
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    It depends on the course you join. If you learn to play well at a very difficult course you will play good golf everywhere else. You probably wont play as well as your home course cause to a specific green speed, ball reaction on the greens while chipping and pitching. You do improve a lot more when you always play the same course. You learn course management. When you play the same hole 25 times, you learn that your second shot must be in a specific location to give the best chances to score low.

If you are a member at a wide-open course your game may not improve. I am a 7 hdcp at my home course (Tight course) but when I play a wide open course I play 2-3 over par. If you play on an open course, slice the ball 2 fairways on the right and still have a shot to the green you will never improve.

I made new friends and they all are at the same level of play or better. Playing with better players is where you really improve.

Playing in local tournaments lets you know where you stand as a player against all players at your home course. Finishing top 5 or top 10 at you club championship is great. Winning the ClubLink AGF is priceless.
    Last edited by mberube; 04-21-2005 at 08:23 AM.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

To Join Or Not To Join?

Becoming a member all depends on how many times you want to golf during the season. I play, so I have been a member at two different courses for the past 17 years. Only one year in the past 5 did I not have a membership, and that is because my course was sold and turned into a Walmart. The following year I had my membership again at a different course. The benefits for me of having a membership?
    1. Membership Cost for 2004 $1049.00 Rounds played at that course, 150. Cost Per Round $7.30

2. Members Events, won our Two Man Best Ball last year.
    3. Friends of mine are members there. So a regular 4 some every weekend, 8 of us play together so we mix it up.
    4. I have met many new friends, and all are really nice people. (Ok one is a dickhead, but I do not golf with him )
    5. I can book just about any tee time I want, 7 days in advance using the internet.
    6. Legit RCGA Handicap
    7. I don't feel guilty about playing 150+ rounds in the season. If I was paying an average $35 for green fees everytime I played I know I would not play that many rounds.
    150 X $35 =$5250.00 $5250.00 -$1049 +$4201.00 in my pocket

Bottom line, you have to decide yourself whether you join a club. Whether it is a private or public (mine is public)
    Weigh the benefits then make your decision.

My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    Some courses are just plain tougher than others, not just length and slope rating, but all the factors mentionned above. If you join a tough course and play there almost exclusively, I believe getting better at a tough couse will make you a better golfer than playing the same amount at different courses with different degrees of difficulty.
    Well, I think you make a good point here. If you are constantly being challenged by a tough course to play your best, you will probably improve faster. I don't think it necessarily has to be the same tough course all the time, but if that is where you buy your membership than obviously that is where you'll play most often.

But then by the same logic, wouldn't buying a membership at an easy course and playing there exclusively (instead of playing a variety of courses with different degrees of difficulty) hinder your development? So it is not so much the idea of playing the same course all the time, but playing a course(s) that challenge you to play well.

beatnik58
    I joined Corporate Golf this year and I love it. I'm sure the same holds true for the other group membership plans out there. $240 to join and the $12 a round after that, 100 rounds = $1440 taxes included which translates to $14.40 per round on a wide variety of local courses. Works for me so far!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    I don't follow your logic treewood. From what I have seen EDSGOLF is correct because:

1) You join a club you play well at - you tend to like a course that is more suited to your style of play, and you only join a club that you like. So "playing consistently" often becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. For example, I like playing at Cloverdale and I'm fairly certain I would have a lower handicap if I played there every week - but I'm not so sure that would make me play better at Emerald Links.
    If you are a member at Emerald Links you will play better at Clover dale. Choosing the right club to join is key for improving. You must choose a difficult course to challenge you.

3) One course rarely tests every club in the bag - a short course will test your iron play, a long course will test your woods, a tight course will test your accuracy, a course with a lot of bunkers will test your sand play, a course with small greens will test your short game, etc. It is rare to find all of this in one course - so when you go to a course with a completely different design than your home course you will be at a disadvantage.

That’s the players fault. If I am having accuracy problems, I will play 18 holes without any woods or driver. Hitting irons from tee to green. When my swing feels pure. I swing my driver evrytime that I can. To improve you must mix it up.

I have played with low HDCP player who are members at wide courses. Give them a tight layout and the big numbers just keep coming on their score card.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    What's corporate golf? Is it similar to the Ottawa golf membership? Do you have a website?

Lob Wedge eye2's is on a distinguished road
    I joined a private course several years ago and haven't regretted it one bit. While it's true that you play the same course every day, I'm not good enough to place my shot in the same place on every hole each time out. Just that fact alone makes each day an adventure in that I'm playing a hole differently almost each time out. And, about once or twice a month I end up playing in some tournament on another course so I get variety that way also.

I didn't know any other members when I joined the club, but I soon met many people and made great new friends with whom I can play any time. Another great advantage of being a member is you don't necessarily have to organize a foursome each time. Often,I go out to the club without a tee-time and quickly get slotted into a 2 or 3-some and that is the way I made new golfing friends.

Let's not forget the biggest advantage - much shorter rounds and you get treated like a "somebody" by the staff since you're not just another green fee!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    If you are a member at Emerald Links you will play better at Clover dale. Choosing the right club to join is key for improving. You must choose a difficult course to challenge you.
    Actually, if I had the time to make a membership at a club worthwhile, it would probably be at Emerald Links. The option to play 9 holes before or after work in addition to my regular weekend rounds makes it awfully tempting. If they offered playing priviledges at Cloverdale and the new course being built so I could have a little variety, I would do it.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Actually, if I had the time to make a membership at a club worthwhile, it would probably be at Emerald Links. The option to play 9 holes before or after work in addition to my regular weekend rounds makes it awfully tempting. If they offered playing priviledges at Cloverdale and the new course being built so I could have a little variety, I would do it.
    If you were a member someplace, you could always just play 9 holes. I do this at Greyhawk. Sometimes it's 9, sometimes 12-13 depending on the time I have.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

"Richard"
    Looks like I'll be getting a membership next year then. What is a good course in ottawa to get one at? I want something that is very very hard so when I play other courses it is a bit easier for me.

Thread Information