+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar

Golf pro changing your grip

Last year when I was struggling a little with my swing, I decided to see a professional for a little help. I specifically asked if we could work with what I had, and refine it to make my miss ( a hook) a little less severe when I wasn't playing well. He was adamant that my grip (slightly strong) had to become neutral at worst and preferably slightly weak. The results were negative to say the least. Is there a teacher in the area that would work on minimizing your misses without drastic changes to your grip? Is this possible? This is not an attack on teaching professionals by the way.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fourlights View Post
    Last year when I was struggling a little with my swing, I decided to see a professional for a little help. I specifically asked if we could work with what I had, and refine it to make my miss ( a hook) a little less severe when I wasn't playing well. He was adamant that my grip (slightly strong) had to become neutral at worst and preferably slightly weak. The results were negative to say the least. Is there a teacher in the area that would work on minimizing your misses without drastic changes to your grip? Is this possible? This is not an attack on teaching professionals by the way.
    If the cause of your hook is a grip that is too strong, then why would you not consider weakening it? By not doing so, you are asking the professional to teach you some compensating moves, which may cause you more grief in the long run. I would rather work on perfecting sound fundamentals, than working on perfecting my faults.

Golf Nut sabzor is on a distinguished road
    There are many pros that use a variety of grip strengths and have been extremely sucessful. Z. Johnson and Paul Azinger are some that come to mind who play with a very strong grip.

Not to get into the whole debate about S&T but they discuss what they believe are more important 'fundamentals' to play succesful golf as many pros have unique grips, alignments, etc.

In order to play with your stronger grip so you need to be able to control the clubface. If the pro teaches that you need to roll your realease then sure you will hit hooks until you weaken your grip up. However, if you pivot with your body and hold off the clubface you can play a nice draw.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabzor View Post
    There are many pros that use a variety of grip strengths and have been extremely sucessful. Z. Johnson and Paul Azinger are some that come to mind who play with a very strong grip.

Not to get into the whole debate about S&T but they discuss what they believe are more important 'fundamentals' to play succesful golf as many pros have unique grips, alignments, etc.

In order to play with your stronger grip so you need to be able to control the clubface. If the pro teaches that you need to roll your realease then sure you will hit hooks until you weaken your grip up. However, if you pivot with your body and hold off the clubface you can play a nice draw.
    Easier said then done. I agree with BC, there are all kinds of swings on tour, but one thing most of them have in common is posture, grip and tempo.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Fix your grip. I got similar advice from a pro a long time ago and it was uncomfortable for a while but didn't take too long to feel natural.
    Twitter: @mfarquharson73

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    Fix your grip. I got similar advice from a pro a long time ago and it was uncomfortable for a while but didn't take too long to feel natural.
    I've gotta echo that thought too .
    A few years ago I was fortunate to get a little bit of free advice from Greg Foley , who was just passing by as I was at the driving range . He was kind enough to stop and just adjust my grip a little bit and from that point on I started to hit the balls straighter and with better ball striking too .
    It took a few weeks to get used too , but it was a game changer for me.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    Easier said then done. I agree with BC, there are all kinds of swings on tour, but one thing most of them have in common is posture, grip and tempo.
    They also possess something that we mortals do not have enough of, and that's talent. The ability to repeat something (genetic timing barrier), even if it is a compensation move, and that is why Azinger, Duval, Trevino, Couples, and a few others, were able to play great golf, with less than ideal fundamentals.

Normal golfers with sound fundamentals will progress farther and faster than those with swing characteristics that deviate to far from ideal. Since the hands are the only part of the body that contacts the club, a change in grip feels awkward, at first. But it's only a feel and in short order, it will feel more normal.

Putter Donbeebe28 is on a distinguished road Donbeebe28's Avatar
    That's funny someone mentioned Greg Foley.., as he was the pro that fixed my grip as well. It took a few weeks to get used to, but the change was night and day.
    A lion would never cheat on his wife, but a Tiger would

Thread Information