100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Fairway Junkie CDELA is on a distinguished road CDELA's Avatar

Shaft Adaptor Installation Question

Had a new Callaway Opti Force shaft adaptor installed a few days ago by Golf Works, on a Matrix shaft. First shot at the range this morning and the driver head flew off. Just the collar part remained on the shaft, the rest of the adaptor stayed with driver head. Anyone have any experience installing these? Not overly confident in having Golf Works doing it again.
    Attached Images

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I don't have any experience installing them. But I bring all of my shafts and adapters to Don at Artisan. He does a great job, and always has them ready the same day. He also spines them for free for me.

I don't think I'll take anything to Golf Works to have done. I've heard some horror stories from there in recently experiences..

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Never installed the optishot but did a few others. I have a question though. Was the screw at the bottom tightened? On the TM Jet Speed there is a screw at the bottom. Then when you want to change the setting the screw has to be loosened to take the head off. Then when you've adjusted the setting you put the head back on and screw it back on. From the pic above the collar part remained on the shaft so that installation was done properly.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    I don't have any experience installing them. But I bring all of my shafts and adapters to Don at Artisan. He does a great job, and always has them ready the same day. He also spines them for free for me.

I don't think I'll take anything to Golf Works to have done. I've heard some horror stories from there in recently experiences..

Just for the record. If you get it the same day it means 5 minute epoxy or quick curing epoxy is used unless Don is using a Hot box. From my experience removing some heads the OEM epoxy is the easiest to break down. Not much heat is required and the pull is quite smooth.
    Ping irons on the other hand require more heat and present more resistance.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks Chief. The screw at the bottom was definitely tightened before using. I'm always certain to do that. I know nothing really about shaft installation, but it appears the main part of the adaptor wasn't glued properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Just for the record. If you get it the same day it means 5 minute epoxy or quick curing epoxy is used unless Don is using a Hot box. From my experience removing some heads the OEM epoxy is the easiest to break down. Not much heat is required and the pull is quite smooth.
    Ping irons on the other hand require more heat and present more resistance.

I don't USE them the same day. I'm simply saying that the service is very quick. I drop it off in the morning, and he has it all done within the same day. This includes everything.

I ALWAYS wait over 24 hours to use them...

Quote Originally Posted by CDELA View Post
    Thanks Chief. The screw at the bottom was definitely tightened before using. I'm always certain to do that. I know nothing really about shaft installation, but it appears the main part of the adaptor wasn't glued properly?
    This is correct. It was not installed correctly..

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    From what I can see in the picture it does not look like there is very little (if any) left over epoxy on the shaft tip or the inside barrel of the adapter.

The collar just looks like a specialized ferrule.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

As I wrote earlier I never deal with that kind of adaptor but if those 2 parts are to be joined/together with epoxy then for sure this installation was not done properly. The inside of the adaptor is cleaned and there is no leftover epoxy.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Appreciate the comments guys. I'll post a couple of better photos tomorrow. Plan on returning to Golf Works this week, getting a new adaptor and I'll have Don at Artisan install. As these adaptors are pretty well the norm now on drivers, and as Golf Works sells the adaptors, I thought they would be better versed on installing them. (The grip they installed was also misaligned by about 20 degrees). Oh well, live and learn.

Thread Information