CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Golf Tech

7 Wood speeler_kda is on a distinguished road

Golf Tech

GolfTEC is opening on Lancaster Rd. I like their philosophy of developing a long-term program. Does anyone have experience with them?

Thanks.

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speeler_kda View Post
    GolfTEC is opening on Lancaster Rd. I like their philosophy of developing a long-term program. Does anyone have experience with them?

Thanks.
    Spoke with two guys in Tampa this past winter and they were very positive about their experience at the local Golftec. Said it was pricy but worth it. If they have any opening specials I may give it a shot.

Par gregnol is on a distinguished road gregnol's Avatar

grand opening

I checked out their facebook page. grand opening is this weekend and according to the golftec website there is a $99 swing evaluation deal for the month of July. I'm going to check it out. I like that you have access to your lesson online at any time and that you can track the improvement of your swing over time.
    "I'm a hockey player but I'm here to play golf today" Happy Gilmore

5 Iron Pattington22 is on a distinguished road
    Just as an FYI - according to their FaceBook page, on July 11 and 12, GolfTec Ottawa is offering free swing evaluations. I just called and they indicated that each session would be a 10-15 minute introduction to the methods/technologies they use and would highlight some areas of each swing where improvement could be had.

Driver Muddler is on a distinguished road
    So has anyone been?
    Last edited by Muddler; 07-22-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Par gregnol is on a distinguished road gregnol's Avatar
    I went in for a swing evaluation but had some time to talk with the staff before and after. Joe and Sean are really knowledgeable guys about both the swing and equipment.

Joe was able to immediately identify an issue I was having with my shoulder turn and movement away and through the ball. Provided a few drills to work on while I was there and after an hour the before and after videos of my swing were very shocking.

The technology is very impressive and can be set up in multiple ways to help identify faults. Joe set up a beep sensor to help me find a certain position that provided me instant feedback if I was making it to the particular position I needed to or not. After one hour I was hitting the ball much more solid and got my distances back after nearly two years of frustration.

Plus a history of all my lessons is available online, I can track my progress and go back and watch my previous lessons.

If you haven't already I would suggest at least stopping in and seeing what it's all about.

I'll definitely be going back.
    "I'm a hockey player but I'm here to play golf today" Happy Gilmore

7 Wood speeler_kda is on a distinguished road
    After doing the swing evaluation and seeing first hand what Golf TEC is all about, I signed up for one year. It's not cheap but you get what you pay for... The instructors are really good and the system allows them to capture and present so much information about the swing. Flaws in setup, backswing and downswing are immediately identified and explained, and then drills and practice time are provided to ingrain the fixes. This is not a bandaid approach, but if you're serious about getting better and are willing to put in the time and stick with the program, I don't know of a better way to go.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Heard about GolfTec recently and read this thread. Decided to spend the money for a swing evaluation today, which I booked last night for today and went in after work. Immediately after the evaluation I was given access to the videos that were taken and uploaded online. I've posted it on YouTube so you can get an idea of what they do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry6fT4iIp6s

Basically, they get a feel for what you're looking to get out of GolfTec (short interview, goal setting, etc), hook you up to sensors (one on the top of your back between your shoulder blades, and one on your lower back). They measure the readings at setup, top, impact, and follow through of your body and compare them to tour averages (includes LPGA, seniors, etc). They of course also have a standard launch monitor for ball flight. For me, what stood out was that on my back swing I sway and put my center of gravity over my back foot, losing power and promoting an over the top swing. I also don't have much shaft lean at impact, or extension in my follow through, but those will likely be easier to fix with a proper back swing.

They offer different lesson/practice plans, 6 months, 1 year, which includes a number of lessons (usually around 2/month), and gives you access to practice in their facility 3x a week which includes setting yourself up on the monitor and being able to control recording, and playback of yourself while you're hitting balls to get immediate feedback.

It's interesting and definitely a different way of doing swing analysis and lessons. The price for a 6 month plan where you get 15 lessons, 3x week video practice, and a club fitting is just under $1400. It seems expensive but I think if you're serious about improving your game (especially over the winter), it's a good option.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Thanks very,very much for this info. I have been wondering what sort of assessment they provide and what the costs were subsequent thereto if you wanted to proceed with them. I think you'll have to be pretty serious about substantively improving your game to warrant the $1400 price tag. Definitely will be for some...but I think this 'ole fart will use that type of money for a nice golf trip somewhere.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

qkru45
    Joe was able to immediately identify an issue I was having with my shoulder turn and movement away and through the ball. Provided a few drills to work on while I was there and after an hour the before and after videos of my swing were very shocking.???

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    Having a great experience so far. Joined in September and my swing has come a long way.
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

Sand Wedge strongjag is on a distinguished road
    Have to be pretty serious about improving your game for that kind of money.

I could do over 3 years of Graham Gunns winter program for that kind of money.

Not sure about cost of graham. But cost for lesson a week and 3 practice sessions while on video to see if u are doing it correctly is priceless. 7 days a week and hours are much better. To each their own ..

Sand Wedge strongjag is on a distinguished road
    Well, this winter was 450$ and I was getting 4 sessions per week for 10 weeks. They do use video as well (lower tech on digital camera) but its shared time and hes only there till 8, off Sundays. I live close so it's perfect for me.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XTOUR View Post
    Not sure about cost of graham. But cost for lesson a week and 3 practice sessions while on video to see if u are doing it correctly is priceless. 7 days a week and hours are much better. To each their own ..
    I'm expecting big things in Belleville this year!
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Swing will look prettier lol still have to work on chipping and that thing called putting

lol...oh ya, the putting thing. you still have 3 months to work that out.

Golf Nut sabzor is on a distinguished road
    Just thought I'd revive this thread and share my experience as it might be helpful to a few of you here looking to try it out:

If you are dedicated to improving your game and making lasting changes you owe it to yourself to make the commitment to focused, reviewable, and targeted practice. This is exactly what you're going to get at GolfTech.

All the coaches at the Ottawa location are fantastic, approachable guys who are devoted to understanding you and your learning habits and tailoring a lesson plan that will lead you to your best golf.

I was always a decent player but I struggled with making next level changes that I always saw on tv but was never able to replicate myself despite sporadic lessons and lengthy practice sessions. I walked into GolfTech Ottawa at the end of last season for my swing evaluation with coach Joe and we quickly highlighted areas for improvement and discussed how and why we needed to work towards them. He made it clear that they don't subscribe to any particular model or template for success as everyone is different. I was convinced that with committed practice and guidance over the course of the winter we could implement the highlighted changes and be ready for the upcoming season.

I write this in March as we are just weeks away from this milestone and I can honestly say that I'm not the same golfer I was. Dramatic changes. Now is it perfect? Of course not. The beauty of the game is you can always be improving. However, I can genuinely say that I'm ecstatic with the progress we've made and will continue to improve under their guidance.

To be clear, it's a process. There is no quick fix to developing new patterns and understanding why they will benefit your game. If you are expecting a single 60-minute lesson to turn you from a high-handicap player to your local club champion you might want to re-evaluate your learning strategy. Is it a time commitment? Yes. Will you be frustrated at times with the drills tailored to you? No doubt. Will it yield results long term? Absolutely.

I have a feeling the members of my regular foursome will be reaching into their pockets more often than not this year.

thanks for the update. I'll be curious to see the impact on your handicap so please keep us posted. What were you going in?

I typically hovered around a 13. We had discussions and basically concluded that there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to attain low single digit. My main issues in playing good golf was consistency - some days I'd have it figured out and shoot mid 70s, other days I'd fight it the whole time and shot mid 80s. If we're talking strictly ball striking I've always had the ability to hit it far relative to most, but there were some issues with timing/path/etc. that I knew needed to get sorted out. We focused a lot on GGSwingtips type stuff - lots of rotation/passive squaring of the clubface. I've managed to stop my body outracing my arms, getting more rotation through the shot, more lag retained, less heavy hits. As a whole it's just night and day.

The biggest factor for me is I feel like I can hit it more solid, more consistently, with less effort. Before I was always muscling the club whereas now I feel freedom of movement. Moves we've been working on often felt ridiculous but it's hard to argue with results I'm seeing.

you're a 13 and shoot mid 70's peridocally? I'm a 12 and break 80 almost never (80-90 most of the time). Sounds like you had a good base, hitting it far helps in he larger scheme of things.

Ya I mean, I've always gone up and down. Often times putting has been lackluster (which still needs work but if I feel more in synch with my full swing I'll feel more at ease throwing time towards it and short game). I definitely had a good base, it was mainly a control/consistency thing. At heart I'm a bit of a perfectionist - I've had people before just say play with what you've got but that part of me was never satisfied with what I saw (I get looks aren't everything).

Anyways, just wanted to share my positive experience. I get it might not be for everyone as we all learn differently and have different levels of expectations. For me, this delivered what I've been looking for. We'll see how it translates into the year.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sabzor View Post
    Ya I mean, I've always gone up and down. Often times putting has been lackluster (which still needs work but if I feel more in synch with my full swing I'll feel more at ease throwing time towards it and short game). I definitely had a good base, it was mainly a control/consistency thing. At heart I'm a bit of a perfectionist - I've had people before just say play with what you've got but that part of me was never satisfied with what I saw (I get looks aren't everything).

Anyways, just wanted to share my positive experience. I get it might not be for everyone as we all learn differently and have different levels of expectations. For me, this delivered what I've been looking for. We'll see how it translates into the year.
    I am seriously considering joining golftec or an alternative this winter. I had a horrible spring last year that became, frankly, embarrassing. Moved from a 5.2 index up to a 12. I got it back down to 4.9 in August but am all over the map this season. I am very curious to see how the lessons have helped others on this forum. I know of one member at our club that has gone for a couple years and he has really improved (he went from approximately a 14 to a 6) and is much, much steadier and if not for putting could probably be a 4. In any event please share if you have used this service as I am very curious to hear about the results.

Lob Wedge sulliman is on a distinguished road
    Last post was sometime ago. Just wondering if anyone has more recent Golftec experience. I understand that they now have a location inside the Kanata Golftown? Any experience at that location. They have a special on their swing evaluation and I’m considering exploring it, but concerned about the upsell for a swing rebuild. Any insight appreciated
    Last edited by sulliman; 12-06-2023 at 11:06 AM.

1 Iron john8888 is on a distinguished road
    The swing evaluation is good but there is not enough time in one session to start the changes you may need.

So if you want a great overview of your swing strengths and faults ...go for it ..they will give you a video link you can review in the future

If you want to start down the path of changes ... you will be on the path to a rebuild/upsell

Lob Wedge sulliman is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the insight, not interested in a multi-month/year swing rebuild.

Thread Information