CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar

Hit in head by errant ball

I was playing Premiere #6 and had just hit my second to the 100yd marker and was walking along edge left edge of fairway when a ball suddenly flew into my face right between the eyes. Knocked me out and down for a second or two and put a nice gash between my eyebrows. The guy who hit it from the #8 tee didn't even yell 'fore', barely apologized , and seemed indignant when I seemed a little off.

He said it was 'just an accident and that he didn't yell 'fore' because he lost sight of the ball as it was going over the mounds that separate 6&8; which made me a little angrier, but not as angry as when he asked where his ball ended up after hitting me.
    Last edited by stevek; 06-23-2014 at 10:27 AM.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    That is some bad luck right there.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    wow. unfortunately, you can't help stupid.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    He's probably lucky that wasn't me with that response....
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Jeepers me too, i would have been on the verge of hulk mode. If i hit a ball that I think has any remote possibility of coming close to someone i yell fore at the top of my lungs.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Wow, not good Steve. That's one hell of a drive if you were walking up #5 and no way he could have seen you. If you were on #6 I could see this happening and I've nearly been hit a couple of times. The guys reaction totally sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Wow, not good Steve. That's one hell of a drive if you were walking up #5 and no way he could have seen you. If you were on #6 I could see this happening and I've nearly been hit a couple of times. The guys reaction totally sucks.
    You're right it was 6. I must still be groggy.

Im a fixture here Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar
    I had something similar to that happen but it just missed my head...no fore or warning given. I know how angry I was when that happened when I approached the group responsible...I could only imagine how much worse I may have reacted if I actually was hit and there was no warnings. The problem is some golfers still have no idea the etiquette involved in the game. We all hit the odd shot that strays away from our target but at least warn other golfers so they can protect themselves.
    I like to call it a power fade

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    I would have sued his ass off. I carry any extra ryder on my insurance policy ($2M) just to ensure that should I happen to injure anyone or any personal property on a course, for whatever reason, I am covered. In the States, such suits are common. Undue negligence on his part causing personal injury.... If he had done such with his car, there wouldn't be any question, would there?
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    I would have sued his ass off. I carry any extra ryder on my insurance policy ($2M) just to ensure that should I happen to injure anyone or any personal property on a course, for whatever reason, I am covered. In the States, such suits are common. Undue negligence on his part causing personal injury.... If he had done such with his car, there wouldn't be any question, would there?
    Sued him.... Really. Go back to the states man.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    How are you going to prove that he's willfully negligent ?
    Did he intent to hit toward that direction of the person ?

Most courses have warning "players play at their own risk"..mostly regarding lightning strike, cart riding etc..but good luck suing the course.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobble_It View Post

Most courses have warning "players play at their own risk"..mostly regarding lightning strike, cart riding etc..but good luck suing the course.
    He's obviously negligent due to the fact the idiot didn't yell a warning and even admitted so.

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    He's obviously negligent due to the fact the idiot didn't yell a warning and even admitted so.
    Obvious to who? Sounds like he lost sight of the ball due to the hilly terrain. I've accidently hit into people on this type of terrain myself so I can see how this happens and I would hardly call myself a negligent golfer.

I agree that he could have acted differently towards you once he did meet up but let's be honest, no court this side of the 49th parallel would find him legally responsible for his ball hitting you.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    You wouldn't win. Here's a story about a lawsuit in New York:

http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/f...n_ny_dismissed

However, the judge did point out that there are circumstances in which a golfer could be liable for hitting someone. An errant shot from an adjacent fairway just isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jmwhite View Post
    Obvious to who? Sounds like he lost sight of the ball due to the hilly terrain. I've accidently hit into people on this type of terrain myself so I can see how this happens and I would hardly call myself a negligent golfer.

You can't be serious. You lose sight of your ball and don't yell fore and don't consider yourself a negligent golfer? Maybe being hit in the head, between the eyes might make you might change your mind. (with a ball of course)

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    First off, sorry that you got hit. It's a good thing you are OK.

Secondly, the guy is an idiot for not yelling. And his behaviour after the fact confirms that.

The problem is that negligence, in the legal sense, has a lot of caveats to it and can be difficult to prove.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    Most 'golfers' don't have proper etiquette. As someone mentioned above, you really should be yelling fore if there's any doubt at all of where your ball is going. I'd hate to not yell fore and hit a kid right in the beak. I won't lie though, I have forgotten to yell it at times myself so I won't judge here. Sucks to be hit right in the face though, glad you are ok.

You can't be serious. You lose sight of your ball and don't yell fore and don't consider yourself a negligent golfer? Maybe being hit in the head, between the eyes might make you might change your mind. (with a ball of course)
    I've been on courses where people are yelling 'fore' left right and centre and I haven't a clue which direction the ball would be coming in....wouldn't help me one bit.

Would you feel any different had he yelled 'fore' and you still got it smack dab in the face because either he didn't yell fast enough or you just didn't think to duck because you couldn't tell where the ball was coming from?

I'm just surprised this doesn't happen more often. I guess that's why I like to play courses where the fairways are more secluded from each other (ie. Montebello, Le Sorcier, Nation).

I cover up and turn away when I hear fore. And his shout would have been close and right at me so I would have had time to at least protect my head. If I meet up with him again I'll have more words with him. The guy is an idiot and deserved the same thing to happen to him.

Curious, how far were you from him?

Don't know if he was hitting from reds or back from the gold's, so hard to tell. I would guess around 200 yards, not that it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobble_It View Post

The question is, did he do what most reasonable people (i.e. players) would do in that situation. Obviously, the answer is no - he did not take the reasonable action of yelling 'fore' as a warning to others of his errant shot - and thus 'negligence'.

And, wrt suing someone for loss of wages, medical bills and overall discomfort and inconvenience caused by someone else's negligent or otherwise actions, such is not a 'States' concept. It is simply a fact of life...and, once again, the reason that golfers who do play a lot of golf...such as myself...carry ryders on our insurance policies to cover us against such actions should they, however unfortunate, arise. And if I did injure someone or their property, I would expect to pay damages, accordingly.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Here's one ruling under British Common Law which may be of interest to you.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...0-damages.html

Fortunately, the injury incurred in your incident was not as serious. But I believe that the situation is somewhat of a mirror of yours in most other facets. It is interesting to note that if you equate the award in this case to current Canadian dollars, it amounts to just shy of $750,000 Cdn. Insurance ... a wonderful thing!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    That blowwws
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    I was standing on 2nd tee box at Casselman when I heard that 'woosh' sound of something incoming. I turned my head just in time as a line drive one-hopped on the tee box and hit me right on the orbital bone. A split second earlier or later and it would have hit me right in the eye, or right on the temple. The guy was apologetic which made it OK, as it was more the bad layout with that blind spot. I got a bag of ice from the nearby cart lady and then parred.the.damn.hole. I finished the "remaining 17 holes" with less spectacular scoring and went to the hospital for x-rays.

Just last summer, now 20 years later, I followed up my first ever eagle at Chateau Cartier with a booming, high drive on the next hole. Out of nowhere comes the old duffer in his cart from the group ahead, who had strayed behind his group for some reason. I didn't see him until the last second before the ball hit the side of his cart, missing him by maybe 3 feet. Closest I ever came to hitting someone! The ball got a nice kick from the cart path, back onto the fairway and about 30 yards closer to the hole! The mojo was gone, though, and after driving up to apologize in my best French, I ended up with a triple bogey...

Karma balance: 0

Point being, both cases were made better by the fact that both parties were sincerely apologetic about it. This guy in your case is a bozo who will hopefully get a lesson in empathy one day soon...

4 Iron Keals is on a distinguished road
    Wow! That guy is lucky it wasn't me he hit without yelling FORE!

NEWS: New NFL Concussion Test Requires Players To Grunt With Dazed Expression Before Returning To Field

NEW YORK—The NFL unveiled a new concussion test Monday that will require players suspected of suffering a head injury to produce an audible grunting sound and maintain a dazed expression for several consecutive seconds before receiving clearance to play.

I've just been able to do this today. Couldn't Tuesday or even yesterday. So I guess I was a little concussed. It's felt like a cloud lifting a little every day but not really noticing how cloudy it was to begin with.

I haven't even tried to swing a club yet. I'll go for a long walk at lunch to see if I'll be able to play soon. Might wear a helmet for this weekends rounds - just in case.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    If you are concussed, do not drink any alcohol at all as it is the worst thing you can do for a concussion. It will only prolong the side affects of a concussion and slow down the healing process considerably.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Too Late for that advice.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure this is satirical, sounds like "the onion" to me. It made me laugh anyways:

NEWS: New NFL Concussion Test Requires Players To Grunt With Dazed Expression Before Returning To Field

NEW YORK—The NFL unveiled a new concussion test Monday that will require players suspected of suffering a head injury to produce an audible grunting sound and maintain a dazed expression for several consecutive seconds before receiving clearance to play.
    Andrew

Thread Information