CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

What do i do if I land in the water?

If I hit a ball off the tee, what are my options?

When does a deziganted drop zone come into to play?

WHat if I hit a ball into the walter off the fairway? What are my options?
    This should be less confusing than my thread about provisional balls...hopefully

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    If I hit a ball off the tee, what are my options?

When does a deziganted drop zone come into to play?

WHat if I hit a ball into the walter off the fairway? What are my options?
    This should be less confusing than my thread about provisional balls...hopefully
    this is a good place to start

"Richard"
    OK

a. Play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or
    b. Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped; or
    c. As additional options available only if the ball last crossed the margin of a lateral water hazard, drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than (i) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or (ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole.

a) makes sense, re hit the ball... so If im on a par three and I hit it into the water then I just re hit from the tee

b) just means I can drop the ball at point of entry? or anyhere I feel like droping inline with the hole and the point where it entered the hazard? so if I know I hit my pitch 120 I can drop it as far back as I want so I can pay to my yardage.. that doesn't seem right. I'm probably not reading that right.

But how do you know which to do? A or B? or is it my choice?

C) does that mean if the hazard isn't directly between me and the hole then i can drop it 2 club lengths from the point at which it entered?

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    It is always your choice which option you take.

Yes, you can go back as far as you want, on the line formed by the pin and the point where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard. Since you've already given up a stroke for going in the water, the rules are being nice to you. Of course, you still have to hit your 120 yd wedge the right distance. You can also go back until you are in the fairway, on level ground, or even in the shade if you like, as long as you stay on that line.
    You get the extra option on a hazard marked as a lateral hazard because there may not be a place to drop as in option b.

At Pebble Beach where the Pacific Ocean is a lateral water hazard you have the option of dropping on the other side of the hazard ... somewhere in Asia? Unfortunately that would be out of bounds, so you can't use that option

But how do you know which to do? A or B? or is it my choice?
    If a ball is in or is lost in a water hazard (whether the ball lies in water or not), the player may under penalty of one stroke:

Yes. Your choice.

C) does that mean if the hazard isn't directly between me and the hole then i can drop it 2 club lengths from the point at which it entered?
    The Rules of Golf are very specific. They must be read very carefully word for word.
    The Rule doesn's say anything about the hazard being between you and hole.
    The Rule doesn't say to drop it exactly 2 club lengths from the point at which it entered.

Look up the definition of a hazard and the definition of a lateral water hazard
    Read through Rule 20, then re-read option (c) carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmaninblack
    on the line formed by the pin and the point....
    What is a pin?

Thread Information