100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge dt2511 is on a distinguished road

p3pro vs. GC2... big quality tradeoff? Certainly a huge price tradeoff! :)

Looking at what I'd be spending on a home sim config, here's the two options I'm considering...

option 1 - GC2 + the net return sim series + projector = $14k
    option 2 - p3pro + the net return sim series + projector = $4k

What a massive difference.

I don't have any plans to use the GC2 outside, and have no doubt that it is a more accurate option (an actual launch monitor vs. a club head measuring 'simulator'), but keeping that $10k in my pocket makes me want to ask the community here what the real difference is. I'm wondering if this might be a 80/20 rule question?

What I'm looking to do with it is to continue to hone my game - this is a key tool for me to accomplish that. Also, with my schedule, I can't always get outside to play, so it can also serve as a substitute when I can't make it out.

Any experience with the p3pro as an indoor training tool? Does my logic hold water? Anybody use both p3pro and GC2 and can help me with this q?

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    There is a massive difference in accuracy between these options. There will soon be more choices.

Lob Wedge vickseo is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    There is a massive difference in accuracy between these options. There will soon be more choices.
    What new choices do you mean?? Bubba... do you have privileged information??

Is it a good time to wait? How long are we talking here?

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Yes I do. Options will come soon. Hopefully this summer.

3 Wood northgolf is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Yes I do. Options will come soon. Hopefully this summer.
    This drags out much longer and we might have to start another LX thread :-o

Pitching Wedge Unkynd is on a distinguished road
    Yah, I gave up on waiting and bought the GC2. No regrets. Damn thing is fantastic.

3 Wood Frans@france is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by northgolf View Post
    This drags out much longer and we might have to start another LX thread :-o

Seems there's certainly opportunity here making use of standard PC building block running linux or mobile running android plus some commodity cameras (high speed of course, but still no need to custom source). The SW is the trick... but that's also something that can be done.

Hopefully there will be an avalanche of this kind of device in the near future of GC2-like quality to drive the price down. There's certainly a volume market in golf for this.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    After 3 1/2 years using simulators I can say that simulators does not improve your golf game!
    Sure you get better but what you get better at is playing simulator golf.
    One problem is all the mats are too forgiving and the simulators not smart enough.
    Sure you can get some info but it is for most people very hard to convert that info to real golf improvements. Guess that is why some people can charge for golf lessons.

Believe a beginner can/might see some progress with the swing if they are careful and take classes in between.
    Simulators are great entertainment. You will not get guys over for a fun evening hitting balls into a net! But people loves to come and play indoor golf.
    Look at it as a toy for entertainment and decide how much it is worth spending

Pitching Wedge Santiago is on a distinguished road
    I went from 6/7 to a 2 hcp since getting my GC2 Simulator. I also hit even par from the tips several times. I improved quite a bit with the GC2.

Pitching Wedge Unkynd is on a distinguished road
    Santiago, what mat do you use?

I bought it from dwquail or something like that, its a basic mat, nothing fancy.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    I went from 6/7 to a 2 hcp since getting my GC2 Simulator. I also hit even par from the tips several times. I improved quite a bit with the GC2.
    Technical the Gc2 is a launch Monitor. Did not mean that you can't improve by owning one. Just that I have never heard nor have anybody ever written a post that they lowered their hdcp over the winter by using a simulator!

I see you are living in Buenos Aries which might be one of the very best Capital cities to live in if you are into golf. Lots of great golf courses and golf year around (most days).

Sure you didn't get some of the improvement out on the courses?

yes! Buenos Aires is awesome for golf. You can tell my friends that, everybody seems to blame in to the GC2. I have a 3 month old baby and a 5 year old boy, my chances of playing are getting harder every day, I play about 6 times a month, used to golf at least 12 times per month. I play for about 15 years, my hcp was never lower than 6, and usually about 7 to 8, after the GC2 my golf improved greatly, my hcp is now never over 4. I am hitting way more GIRs than ever, short game is pretty much the same. So its either the GC2 or the UST Recoil shafts in my irons. I think its both, but my ballstriking is way better, no doubt about it. It does help that I understand my swing perfectly, so I know what to practice. btw, i almost never play simulator golf, 99% of the time I am with the GC2 I do practice only.

3 Wood Stonebattle is on a distinguished road
    dt2511:
    I've had a P3proswing for a number of years. It has without a doubt helped improve my game. Some of the features I like best is the video capture. It's only 30 fps, but I have used this feature to get my swing much more on plane than a few years ago. The simulated ball flight is not bad overall, but leaves much to be desired for many types of shots. Punch shots for example. For game improvement, I have found it best to ignore the simulated results and focus on the path and face info. On course practice had more impact on my scores, although the P3proswing was still very usefull.

I twice had the opportunity to play on a GC2 over the winter months. All I can say is very nice and it felt much more like real golf. It was very accurate. The P3proswing is not in the same league. The one I played on did not have club data, but as I understand it that can be added. I think the P3proswing is well worth the money given all the features and courses one gets with it. Still, I thought the GC2 was outstanding and worth the extra money one would have to pay for it.

If you are a mid double digit handicap, say 10 to 20 or so, I think the P3proswing will work well for you. If you are above that , it seems to many swings are missed and it becomes frustrating. If you are below that range, you will likely want much more accurare feedback on shot height and shapes.

Good luck on your choice.
    Last edited by Stonebattle; 06-16-2014 at 09:51 AM. Reason: More readable

7 Wood wbond is on a distinguished road
    I think it will come down to how much are you really willing/able to spend. I have the P3 and my friends have the GC2. If i had the extra money i would get the GC2, unfortunately at it's current price point, that's not going to happen. So the P3 is good enough for me and it's good for what it is. Plus, i got a great deal on one with the mat and turf top.

Thread Information