CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    7 Wood Stephen is on a distinguished road

Golf Carts, 2 wheel vs. 3 wheel. Push vs. Pull

I have to nurse my lower back on the golf course sometimes and wondered what the forum thinks of two wheel carts and three wheel carts. Are the newer three wheel carts better and easier on the back?

Also, what do you think is easier; a push cart or a pull cart?

"Richard"
    nothing beats the driving cart

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    I have to nurse my lower back on the golf course sometimes and wondered what the forum thinks of two wheel carts and three wheel carts. Are the newer three wheel carts better and easier on the back?

The three wheel carts are MUCH easier to manoeuver as they seem to have less resistance to rolling (easier to push). Just make sure to set the brake if "parking" it on an incline! An uncle told me that he watched someone ahead on the hole he was playing lose their cart to a lake!!!

Everything I've seen, heard and read has said that pushing is easier than pulling, regardless of the type of cart used.

For what it's worth, I used to pull/push a 2-wheeler as they were free to me when I was a club member. After joining Corporate Golf and essentially becoming a full-time green fee player, I'd rent them. Last year I started carrying, and I find that it's much less taxing (provided you don't weigh the bag down!) than pulling a cart. BUt that's not what you asked for.

The bottom line is that I play with several people 60+ and they're all slowly converting to Sun Mountain (for stylistic comparison, not a plug!) 3 wheelers.

Mike

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I am using a "Wildcat" motorized electric push cart this year. Its not radio controlled, you walk with it and there is a throttle on the handle. On a flat fairway you can just walk beside it. It will actually pull you up a hill. Artisan Golf has them for $499. I really like it.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

I dont use them, but my buds swear by them and if I did use a cart, it would most certainly be the 3 wheel type.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Lob Wedge Noodle is on a distinguished road

Electric Caddy

If you like to walk nothing beats the Eletronic Caddy with the remote. No pushing, no pulling, just strolling with the remote. No strain on the back and probably lower your score by 5 or 6 shots. If you can afford it its the only way to go. I saw one for sale in the forums here.

Sand Wedge chollyred is on a distinguished road
    I prefer the beer cart myself... But i have a couple of friends that love their 3 wheelers. I have one of the old Bag Boy 2 wheelers. I find it easier to push than pull.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle
    If you like to walk nothing beats the Eletronic Caddy with the remote. No pushing, no pulling, just strolling with the remote. No strain on the back and probably lower your score by 5 or 6 shots. If you can afford it its the only way to go. I saw one for sale in the forums here.
    Yeah and if you have a trunk the size of a dump truck, you might get you AND the cart to the course in one trip.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

9 Iron putterking is on a distinguished road
    I have a three wheeler and it's the cat's a**. Extremely easy to push, even in the rough where my ball tends to go. Good hint about the brake, make sure it's on. Even the wind can get it going. Definitely worth the extra dollars.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

I think a lot of it has to do with the size of the wheels and the handle. A cart with large, wide wheels and a wide handle that can be pushed as well as pulled will work much better no matter how many wheels there are.

I got a new two-wheel cart from Costco that has big wheels and a very nice handle. You can push downhill and on level ground very easily if you want to. It had an order form for an optional third wheel kit, but I've never ordered it because the two-wheel version works so well.

BTW, when I pinched a nerve in my back last fall I found the hardest thing to do was to take the ball out of the cup. I got one of those rubber cups to stick on the end of my putter and it made a huge difference. I got paired up this weekend with a guy whose back problems became obvious after he holed out on the first hole. I gave him my putter attachment so he could take the ball out of the cup while standing and he spent the rest of the round thanking me after every hole. For those with back problems, this little $1.99 item can make your round a lot less painful.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

4Iron
    I agree that 3 wheelers are the way to go! They are so well designed, that you can push them with a finger. Like all carts, they are awkward to push up a steep incline. Us short people end up with the handle above our heads.

Lob Wedge Noodle is on a distinguished road

Not So

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    Yeah and if you have a trunk the size of a dump truck, you might get you AND the cart to the course in one trip.
    Actually I get everthing in the trunk of my Toyota Corolla 2 Door Coupe, plus a big Taylormade cart bag. Maybe you should look at one and see how it breaks down before anymore sarcastic attempts at humour

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    My wife has the Sun Mountain Speedcard (3 wheeler). I carry myself but if I was going to get a cart, that would be the one. Really smooth.

It's definitely a lot easier pushing than pulling...

MJF

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I have both a three wheeler and an electronic caddy. I can fit either one in my small trunk without a problem along with my not so small golf bag. If the three wheelers (with the pneumatic tires) had been out when I got the caddy I would have got one. I like both and will probably use them both at different times. The caddy is great on a quiet day when I want to ball hawk as I just aim it where I want it to go and walk along the tree line. The three wheelers are so effortless to push. Just have to be careful around the ponds.

7 Wood Stephen is on a distinguished road

Smile Thanks

Thanks for the great replies.

As it turns out someone at work is selling a three wheel cart and after seeing the thumbs up on the three wheeler in the forum, I bought it.

I wanted the Sunmountain Speed cart but its a little pricey. The BagBoy Express GX is almost as good and for a $100.00. I think it will be worth it.

Cheers

Putter Mey Clars is on a distinguished road
    I use the Spider 3 Wheel Golf Cart. The lightweight aluminum frame, simple features and unsurpassed reliability make the Spinder very popular among golfers who are looking for a light, unusable cart in which they can be sure that they will not let them down.
    https://golf-hook.com/reviews/best-golf-push-carts/
    Features:
    9 speeds
    Speed ​​indicator
    Battery indicator
    Easy folding mechanism
    Customizable bag mount
    Ergonomic handle
    Electronic control
    Silent motor
    Low profile wheels
    While I see only advantages in this cart.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Never pull a cart. You put a unneaded stress and torsion on your lower back. Always push cart standing upright and not crouched over like you see so many doing.
    Last edited by Marcos; 06-10-2019 at 06:46 AM.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I have found that gas or electric does the job for me After 15 years of pushing and pulling the lower back is done. I do have a Bag Boy 3 wheeler but I am saving it for posterity
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Thread Information