CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    Best course conditions in the city for sure but nowhere near the best layout.
    Different strokes for different folks. Some people LOVE Stonebridge. I think it's Mickey Mouse. Some people might think another person's preference is also Mickey Mouse.

Gap Wedge hummer1829 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    we've got lots of options in Ottawa, at every price range, for every golfer. I don't think we pay too much at all. In fact, I'd argue we don't have a really high end course with exceptional service, conditioning and layout. Can you think of any course in Ottawa that would make the top 100 in Canada? Rideauview is the only one to do it in the last round. For the size of the city, we do very well in terms of price/performance.
    Small correction...Eagle Creek (#74) also made it in the top 100 last year (I assume you are talking about the score golf list)....

http://scoregolf.com/the100/the-100-2012/

Quote Originally Posted by pingzzing View Post
    Basically what happened is that they wined and dined and pretty well begged the people making the decision to include Rideauview in the rankings. Nice course, but overrated and overpriced.
    I'd be interested to know where you obtained this info....

Quote Originally Posted by hummer1829 View Post
    Small correction...Eagle Creek (#74) also made it in the top 100 last year (I assume you are talking about the score golf list)....

You're right. It did make the list as well. Eagle Creek is my favourite layout in the entire city. However, it falls short on overall experience as a member/private course.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Why do people find Stonebridge "mickey mouse"??? I just don't get it... Must be a lot of really big hitters in Ottawa!

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Why do people find Stonebridge "mickey mouse"??? I just don't get it... Must be a lot of really big hitters in Ottawa!
    Mickey Mouse is in reference not only to length. Overall length of a course is not always a determining factor for someone to dislike the course. The flag placements have been a major discussion. Some holes are a bit "Mickey Mouse". The proximity to homes...Something that Kanata also has received negative feedback for. Both of those courses also have some holes that fall into the Emerald Links type of "target" golf. For example, at Emerald Links, there is a hole where you must hit hybrid, then 3-wood in order to get close to the green in two...

You don't have to "get it" when someone has an opinion. That's the beauty of preference and opinion. It does not have to be justified to anyone else....

Proximity to homes now makes a course "mickey mouse" what???

Which hole from the blue tees at Emerald Links requires a hybrid and then 3 wood to reach the green?

You are right, I don't have to "get it"... But I guess in my view, I won't complain about a course being "mickey mouse" until I can easily shoot under par from the tips... Otherwise it is still a challenge for me...

Overall length of a course is not always a determining factor for someone to dislike the course.
    Did you skip right over that?

Your view is in direct relation to yardage....

I just explained to you, that people who have an opinion on a course being "Mickey Mouse", does not mean they are referring to length alone or shooting under-par.

Yes golf is about the score. But it is also about enjoying your round and what fits your eye.

Have a listen to some guys who play golf for a living, PGA pros. There are many times they will say they "do not like" a course or it does not "fit their eye", even though, others will refer to that course as the next best thing to sliced bread.

Stonebridge is definitely a challenge. But that's not what we're talking about here.

Courses are not rated based on difficulty alone, when a golf publication or any other publication creates a list.

The bottom line is...a LARGE number of people I know personally, or I have spoken to, do not like Stonebridge. This does not mean a LARGE number of people I DON'T KNOW, are wrong for liking it.

The fact of the matter is that not everyone is going to agree...And that is OKAY...

I understand, but I guess my question is, do a lot of people dislike a course because the course layout and greens are too challenging?

Not once have I ever found the greens at SB unfair or silly or ridiculous... Yes, they are a challenge, but a fun one. No, you don't have to agree, but disliking because a course is too hard is an unfair criticism in my view...

And please tell me we which hole at EL requires hybrid then 3 wood off the tee... I am very curious...

eQuinelle is a very nice golf course, but it has holes that don't "fit my eye"... I don't like certain holes but that's because I have a tough time playing them. I dislike the way I score there, but think it is a really nice golf course... Does that make sense?

I understand, but I guess my question is, do a lot of people dislike a course because the course layout and greens are too challenging?
    No...Again...It is not ALWAYS about the challenge/difficulty of a course.

Not once have I ever found the greens at SB unfair or silly or ridiculous... Yes, they are a challenge, but a fun one. No, you don't have to agree, but disliking because a course is too hard is an unfair criticism in my view...
    If you do a search of the forums, you'll find a thread from last Summer, where the pin placements at SB were silly or ridiculous. It was discussed quite a bit.

eQuinelle is a very nice golf course, but it has holes that don't "fit my eye"... I don't like certain holes but that's because I have a tough time playing them. I dislike the way I score there, but think it is a really nice golf course... Does that make sense?
    I suppose your determination of whether you like a course or not, is based on how well you play it. Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems to be what I'm deciphering from your comments.

My criteria is different. I used to play a course in Edmonton that I was always within a couple of strokes of par, or under par. A good friend of mine was a member, so I played with him a few times there. I scored very well, but I did not like the course.

I like courses that are well manicured, great conditions including level tee boxes, present a challenge, fit my eye, overall experience while playing, etc...

And please tell me we which hole at EL requires hybrid then 3 wood off the tee... I am very curious...
    The last time I played EL was 18 years ago. I remember the hole is a dogleg left. I hit a 215 yard hybrid to the corner, then hit a 240+ yard 3-wood to be next to the green.

I haven't played it since..

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

I was but the list you posted was from 2012.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post

The last time I played EL was 18 years ago. I remember the hole is a dogleg left. I hit a 215 yard hybrid to the corner, then hit a 240+ yard 3-wood to be next to the green.

I haven't played it since..
    you may mean #3 East but it definitely isn't a 3 wood into the green. It's a short to mid iron depending on your length.

http://www.emeraldlinks.com/coursetour.html

Gap Wedge hummer1829 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I was but the list you posted was from 2012.
    There was no 2013 list

I don't put too much value on the score golf list. Opinions obviously vary.....how can the top publication in golf, Golf Digest rate Black Bear Ridge #30:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/canada

But the score golf list has Black Bear barely in the top 100 at #99.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    Best course conditions in the city for sure but nowhere near the best layout.
    We all see it differently. IMO, I enjoy the layout of Rideau View, minus the change to number 3, however the course is not in better condition then Hunt Club. At least it wasn't last year. I haven't played it this season, so my comments are both subjective and dated.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people LOVE Stonebridge. I think it's Mickey Mouse. Some people might think another person's preference is also Mickey Mouse.
    Am I the only person on this forum who has never played Stonebridge? I've been meaning to check it out, but I don't stray far from the home track these days, especially with two little boys. I bring my oldest to the club in the evening where, despite being three years old, he generally shows his father what to do on the practice green.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    Am I the only person on this forum who has never played Stonebridge? I've been meaning to check it out, but I don't stray far from the home track these days, especially with two little boys. I bring my oldest to the club in the evening where, despite being three years old, he generally shows his father what to do on the practice green.
    Where are you a member? That's pretty cool that your son is out there showing you the ropes.

There was no 2013 list

I don't put too much value on the score golf list. Opinions obviously vary.....how can the top publication in golf, Golf Digest rate Black Bear Ridge #30:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/canada

But the score golf list has Black Bear barely in the top 100 at #99.
    nor do i, but back to my point, there are barely any in Ottawa that make that list.

Where are you a member? That's pretty cool that your son is out there showing you the ropes.
    Hunt

Hunt
    Okay. I think I remember your name when we were talking about an RV vs Hunt Ryder Cup thing...

I personally love SB. Conditioning is excellent and value for the dollar, especially at afternoon/twilight rates is tough to beat. I don't see it as Mickey Mouse at all. I see it as a good test of golf which will use every club in your bag.

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    Are the moderators on vacation? This thread has lost the plot.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    My feelings on Stonebridge is a bit of a "Mickey Mouse" course, I find the greens to be very unreceptive to good shots, the front nine is amongst the best in the city but the back nine falls short in my opinion, way too easy in comparison to the front nine. I have shot some pretty awful scores on the front but always make it up on the back, I once shot 43 on the front but then was -1 on the back and didnt feel all that bad about my round.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    We all see it differently. IMO, I enjoy the layout of Rideau View, minus the change to number 3, however the course is not in better condition then Hunt Club. At least it wasn't last year. I haven't played it this season, so my comments are both subjective and dated.
    I havent played it in the last two years, but when I use to play it more often, there wasn't many coursed in the area that came close to RV conditions.

You can both come out for a round if you want this Summer. It Wintered well and we've already gone through our first aeration. Course will be in MORE mint shape than it was prior to aeration.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Count me in too, tried to get back with JV last year but could never make it work.

For the record i adore Stonebridge, from the back tees it's one of the only courses in Ottawa where i hit every club in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Count me in too, tried to get back with JV last year but could never make it work.

For the record i adore Stonebridge, from the back tees it's one of the only courses in Ottawa where i hit every club in the bag.
    Sure. Let me know when you want to play.

I know you like Stonebridge. I remember the thread from last season.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I really don't dislike any of the "higher end" courses in the city, they all offer a different challenge. As long as conditions are good i'm happy!

Eagle mizzyboy is on a distinguished road
    Going back to Green Fee rates, I would say that Stonebridge and Equinelle are great when it comes to the overall value of a course. They are both nice layouts and challenging to play.

It is even better when you pay their twilight rates or when they have specials (ie 40% off green fees May longweekend at Equinelle). I enjoy Stonebridge because it is a fair challenge. It is not the longest course even from the tips, the par 5s are reachable except for Hole #5. If you manage the course well, then you will be rewarded but if the wind gets going, then it could get tougher.

I found Equinelle to be tougher becuase of the longer par 5s and overall length of the course. The greens roll truer but I think I like the fairways at Stonebridge better because they were drier.

Rideauview on the other hand, is one of the best if not the best maintained course in the area. The greens are always fast and fairways are consistent. The layout may not compare to Stonebridge or Equinelle, but it is an old style course that doesn't rely on water hazards or over excessive bunkers. It's been a few years since I've played it though, it would be nice to play it again....
    Go Sens Go or No Sens No? The struggle of a Sens fan.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Some folks think the green fees are expensive, We played Le Sorcier today for 40.00. Got the round in before the rain so I ordered a cheeseburger----------17.00 AND THEY DIDNT EVEN MELT THE CHEESE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and that was without fries !!

The course was worth it---lots of changes since I played before it sold
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

You can both come out for a round if you want this Summer. It Wintered well and we've already gone through our first aeration. Course will be in MORE mint shape than it was prior to aeration.
    Sounds good. I think Pablo was going to set up a home and home event.

Thread Information